Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Engravings on the MRL Ulfberht Sword. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nicolai Overgaard

PostPosted: Sun 05 Aug, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Engravings on the MRL Ulfberht Sword.         Reply with quote

This is my first post here and before I get to it I just want to say how much I enjoy reading through the posts here.
I have had my eye on this sword for a while but the only thing that keeps me from buying it is the engravings. So, I was wondering if someone knows of a way to remove the engravings on the Ulfberht sword?

Thanks for a great forum.
David McElrea

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 05 Aug, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Nicolai, and welcome to the forum. I have no wisdom to offer regarding the removal of inscriptions-- if you don't mind my asking, though, why would you want to remove an Ulfberht inscription? I am assuming it is a reproduction... are you not happy with the quality of the reproduced inscription? I only ask because these seem to have been highly desirable blades "back in the day".

Yours,

David
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Engravings on the MRL Ulfberht Sword.         Reply with quote

[quote=\"Nicolai Overgaard\"]This is my first post here and before I get to it I just want to say how much I enjoy reading through the posts here.
I have had my eye on this sword for a while but the only thing that keeps me from buying it is the engravings. So, I was wondering if someone knows of a way to remove the engravings on the Ulfberht sword?

Thanks for a great forum.[/quote]

Keep it as it is: original ULFBERTHs had complex engravings, which today could be reproduced only at a price.

But the verision they sell, if I\'m not wrong, is scratched, graffito like: now I have seen an original SININIS sword on exhibit in Aosta whose inscription is graffited.

So the technique of graffito is period, even if probably it is made with laser techniques.

The look won\'t be so bad, the sword seems rather historically correct, at least judging from the pics.
David Sutton

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello nicolai, and welcome to the forum!

I have the Ulfberht sword from MRL/Windlass. Its quite a nice sword though the guard is a little on the thick side and I think the blade could perhaps do with a little more presence, but overall, and for the price point, it was a good purchase.

As to the engravings; Before I bought the sword, I was also a little concerned about the engravings. Knowing what had been previously said about MRL products I was bracing myself for a nasty decal or similar stuck on the blade, but the inscription is quite well done. I'd say, however, that it would be hard to remove as its quite deeply engraved. The letters are (i assume) chemically blued to a deep blue grey. But I decided to give the blade a satin rather than the mirror finnish that it had originally, and the bluing has faded a lot giving just a subtle variation in colour, which I think is more attractive.

To echo David's sentiments though, why would you want to remove the Ulfberht inscription? During the early medieval era, an Ulfberht inscription was seen as a sign of quality, maybe even of almost magical significance. Therefore it was often replicated or faked, and often misspelt or even with characters incorrectly shaped! Its also interesting to note that a surprising number of medieval swords sported blade inscriptions which are not often seen on modern reproductions.

I wasn't that keen on the Ulfberht inscription at first but it has really grown on me and is an interesting aspect which sets the sword apart from the rest of my collection.

'Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all'

'To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing'

Hypatia of Alexandria, c400AD
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Engravings on the MRL Ulfberht Sword.         Reply with quote

Nicolai Overgaard wrote:
This is my first post here and before I get to it I just want to say how much I enjoy reading through the posts here.

Thanks for a great forum.

I have one of these swords and would not remove the engraving. That is what sets it apart from other swords and it is authentic. The actual sword it replicates can be found in Swords of the Viking Age by Ian Peirce on page 124. I do think it would be very difficult to remove and since it is an integral part of the original there would not seem to be any reason to do so. The mark of +Ulberht+ was apparently an indication of a quality sword in the Viking Age, much like the name Andrea Ferrara was to the Highland broadsword.[/b]

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Nicolai Overgaard

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for all the good replies Big Grin I have come to the conclusion that I will keep it as it is and maybe it will grow on me as well Happy

Nicolai
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David, could you post a few pics of your re-finished sword?
Thanks,
Dan
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The "inscription" on this reproduction has only a superficial relation to the Iron inlayed +ULFBEHRT+ of historical blades.

I believe this particular reproduction uses an acid etched design which looks completely different than the inlayed designs seen on origonals.

I completely understand why somebody would want to remove this decoration on this reproduction or replica or whatever. .
David McElrea

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stupid me, writing, "I assume this is a reproduction?" I see now that the title of the thread includes the words MRL. Ah well.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 07 Aug, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lest there be any doubt, this seems to be the product under discussion:

(image from Kult of Athena.com)

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I do like the overall shape of the blade but to me the engraving stands out a bit too much against that high polished blade. Maybe if the blade was aged a bit so it was toned down. I would say that is one of that better looking MRL swords (although I am partial to brazil nut pommels so I'm a bit biased)
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Engravings on the MRL Ulfberht Sword.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic