Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > I need information about viking helmets. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
John Longmile

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jul, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: I need information about viking helmets.         Reply with quote

I need information about viking helmets especially about Valsgarde 8 helm. Please.
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jul, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The best book I could recommend would be The Anglian Helmet from Coppergate by Dominic Tweddle, which covers many aspects of early medieval helmets, including the one you're after. It's hard to find in the states, but can be obtained through Inter-Library loan, especially if you're around a major university.
Hope this helps,
Dan
Felix Kunze

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jul, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi John,
several years ago I tried to make a copy of this helmet too, but my experience was not high enough back then.
I therefor made some sketches as copies from the publication of Valsgaerde 8 by G. Arwiddson. The comments are in German, but I think you can find and understand some of the measurements without speaking German. I hope this is what you are looking for and the quality is good enough for your purpose.

Attachment: 115.57 KB
Valsgarde 8.jpg

Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jul, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: I need information about viking helmets.         Reply with quote

John Longmile wrote:
I need information about viking helmets especially about Valsgarde 8 helm. Please.

Just to nitpick, the Valsgärde, Ulltuna and Vendel finds are not "Viking" helmets but rater Late Ironage stuff. In general it is called the Vendelperiod and have a quite diffrent style than the later period armour. It has alot in common with the Sutton Hoo excavations. I know a lot of people mix it toghether alot but thiese helmets has more in comon with late roman cavallery helmets than with a spangen helmet or simillar.

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jul, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ironage would be a far stretch i do believe for this time frame would it not? a vendel or migration era would better suit the name.

i am looking for the link for Halvgrimr's helmet page. i think he may have taken it down. it had just about every known vendal thru post viking helmet listed. hmmm i cant seem to find it. i will keep an eye out for you.
Mikael Ranelius

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jul, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Like Martin said the helmets found in the boat-graves predates the vikings, with at least a century. In fact they might have been old-fashioned already when they were put in the graves, and in any case helms of such construction would have fell out of use by the time of the vikings in the 8th century. The Gjermunbu find has many similirarities with the earlier Vendel-Valsgärde finds, but that helmet might also have been 'ancient' when buried
Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jul, 2007 5:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
ironage would be a far stretch i do believe for this time frame would it not? a vendel or migration era would better suit the name.

i am looking for the link for Halvgrimr's helmet page. i think he may have taken it down. it had just about every known vendal thru post viking helmet listed. hmmm i cant seem to find it. i will keep an eye out for you.

Ah, I wassn´t clear, I ment late late Roman Ironage/Migrationperiod... Sorry! And there has been so many changes in classifications here in Sweden I get a bit confused. It jus resently we hae started to call the period 500-1000 Early Medieval instead of Migrations - Vendel - Viking Period.

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Chuck Russell

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jul, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin Wallgren wrote:
Chuck Russell wrote:

Ah, I wassn´t clear, I ment late late Roman Ironage/Migrationperiod... Sorry! And there has been so many changes in classifications here in Sweden I get a bit confused. It jus resently we hae started to call the period 500-1000 Early Medieval instead of Migrations - Vendel - Viking Period.

oh no its all ok Happy i was just worried the translation was a tad off etc. Happy or what europeans vs americans think such and such time lines fall etc Happy
Robert Rootslane

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok i didnt want to make new topic because of it but i have a qestion about vendel 12 helmet.
Did it have a neck protection area of camail or something else Question
Chuck Russell

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert Rootslane wrote:
Ok i didnt want to make new topic because of it but i have a qestion about vendel 12 helmet.
Did it have a neck protection area of camail or something else Question

dont know. i dont "think so" but its been a while since i studied up on that one.
http://www.bearclawtraders.co.uk/authentichel..._7_big.jpg
http://www.bearclawtraders.co.uk/authentichel..._8_big.jpg
Robert Rootslane

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i have seen those pictures before...
Still those give me no information about the neck area Eek!
Grzegorz Kulig
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No mail has been found with this helmet. However - it could have it. Below th banding there is wraped steel with wire inside. Probably it was made for suspending some mail.

I've reconstructed it this way (picture is big, but thanks to that you can see what I mean)

Attachment: 111.48 KB
26c.jpg

NEW ONLINE SHOP : www.thorkilshop.com

NEW ADDRESS of my web site: www.thorkil.pl

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Thorkil-Grzegor...7530780383
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
David Huggins

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi John,

This might not be of help, but I have a copy of the Coppergate Helmet book at home, I'm offshore at the moment but i'll check it out for you on my return home. By the way the book was published with detailed breakdown 1/1 plans of the Coppergate helmet construction, if anyone was seriously interested I might be able to copy the plan and forward them on .Tim Noyes of Heron Armoury has just completed a very nice Vendel helm, check out the photograph on his website.

Tweedle and Siddorn both argue for a continuation of in the use of crested helms exceeding the Vendel Period.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > I need information about viking helmets.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic