Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Price point of your next sword purchase Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 05 Sep, 2003 1:33 am    Post subject: Price point of your next sword purchase         Reply with quote

Now that we have a fairly stable group of experienced collectors here, I'd like to find out a few things about the state of the market surrounding our hobby.

I'm curious where we're all headed in terms of price points and what sort of cost niche is likely to show growth in the upcoming year.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Markus Haider

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 05 Sep, 2003 2:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Without taxes and custom fees my next sword (with scabbard by CF) will cost around 700 $. But I choose 750 - 1000 $, because without the discount from Albion it would be in this category.
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Fri 05 Sep, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm the cheap one (200 - 450). It will cost me more than that over here, but that would be the US price.
Keith Kipferl

PostPosted: Fri 05 Sep, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I went with 751 - 1000.
I keep promising myself an AT1555 but might end up with something else first. My next sword will probably be a higher end production or a lower end custom. I figured that put me in the 751 - 1000 group. My finances took a hit late last winter and haven't recovered as much as I was hoping so it may be a while before I order. On the other hand, I have a custom sword already in the works that fits the same category.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 05 Sep, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm currently vacillating between the Albion Gotland Viking sword and the Arms and Armor English longsword, which puts the purchase between $500 - $600, not including scabbard. But I am toying with the idea of commissioning somebody (probably A&A) to make me a custom early 18th century hanger. That would probably cost somewhere between $1,500 and $2,000 Question
Stephen Pearson

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 05 Sep, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've exhausted my purchasing power for this year, but my next sword will probably be one of Albion's new Vikings. Also on my list is the Atrim/CF project that will fill the Ranger sword’s niche. I have no idea what it's going to look like, but I'm really hoping for something with two fullers. Of course, none of us can predict what maker is going to come out with THE new sword that we HAVE to have, so all purchase choices are tentative.

Both of these swords are in the $450 -$750 range and that's the price point I'll stay at for at least the next year. Based on my sword-buying budget, and the selection in this price range, this price range allows me the biggest "bang" (number and quality of swords) for my "buck." I also think this price point will grow the fastest in the next year. Why? Because most of us are now accustomed to a high level of quality and understand that we have to pay for it. However, it's probably still difficult for many of us to drop more than $850 on a single sword. Pretty soon swords start competing with other toys like computers, stereos, or big televisions. And then there's the spouse issue. My wife can tolerate 2 $500 swords (spaced out over a couple of months), but would probably choke at a $1000 sword.

Anybody have any other thoughts?

--Steve

The only situation a commander can know fully is his own: his opponent's he can know only from unreliable intelligence.
Clausewitz, On War
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 05 Sep, 2003 10:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, as you know, my next purchase was going to be in the neighborhood of $3000.00.

Yesterday I recieved some unfortunate news which changes my plans. For the last several years my collecting has been financed by a second job. Yesterday I was advised that the company is restructuring, and my position was being eliminated. Needless to say, this is going to cause me to cut back on my sword buying by quite a bit.

While losing the job is disappointing (it was a pain, really) the likelihood that I won't be buying the aforementioned sword is the biggest disappointment. I *really* wanted this one. At least they told me before I bought it, that may have put a big crimp in things Eek!
Keith Kipferl

PostPosted: Fri 05 Sep, 2003 11:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ouch! Bad news.
I was looking forward to drooling over that one myself.
Maybe there's another way to fund the sword. I almost have myself convinced to sell off a few rifles from my collection to afford a sword. That pretty drastic though. There are few things as dear to my heart as a well made rifle.
David White

PostPosted: Fri 05 Sep, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I voted in the 751-1000 price tag. I have something in mind that should actually come in much under the 1000 range.

Money is always a big issue with me, but I don't buy really anything else. What I did was get a coin roller (battery powered)
and I take all the loose change and put it in the machine. Its really amazing how quick the money adds up.

dave
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 05 Sep, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've challenged myself to stay below $200, which is laughably low and dramatically limits my choices, but makes sort of a game of collecting. My strategy is to keep my eye on several weapons in the $225-$275 range and wait for those to go on sale. I can usually find one of these discounted each season. There are some acceptable, albeit simple and mass-produced, weapons in this price range. I'm currently watching the Windlass Arbedo sword, CASI mortuary sword and the Windlass German Halberd (which is already pretty inexpensive at around $135). I also watch the SFI classifieds for previously-owned pieces. I've just sold some stuff and can't decide whether to get more arms or get a Voigtlander Bessa R and 35mm lens. To be honest, I'd more readily pay $560 for the camera than for, say, a low-end custom sword. What can I say? I was a photo nut long before I was an A&A nut. Big Grin
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 05 Sep, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Keith Kipferl wrote:
Ouch! Bad news.
Maybe there's another way to fund the sword. I almost have myself convinced to sell off a few rifles from my collection to afford a sword. That pretty drastic though. There are few things as dear to my heart as a well made rifle.

I've considered that, however, given the current economy I doubt if I could sell enough guns to pay for the sword. Besides, I really don't have anything in the safe that I really want to sell.
Keith Kipferl

PostPosted: Fri 05 Sep, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Besides, I really don't have anything in the safe that I really want to sell.

Yeah, that's my problem too. Every time I convince myself one is going up for sale I pick it up, fondle it a while, then put it back and forget about the sale.
David White

PostPosted: Fri 05 Sep, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Keith Kipferl wrote:
Ouch! Bad news.

I've considered that, however, given the current economy I doubt if I could sell enough guns to pay for the sword. Besides, I really don't have anything in the safe that I really want to sell.

Amen! I've paired down mine and now I have only a few that I can't part with.....I wish I still had my Martini-Henry.

dave
Gary Venable

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Fri 05 Sep, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I chose the $450-750 range since I am currently looking at an Arms and Armor #194 English Longsword as my next purchase though if Phoenix Metal was taking new orders at this time I might be in the $1000 range for one of their Schiavona's.
Gary
Geoff Freeman

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Fri 05 Sep, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I voted for the $751-$1000 range, but that may go up to the $1001-$1500 range. I'm really, really, really looking at the Albion/Peter Johnsson Brescia Spadona and scabbard. Though for that price, I could probably just about go full custom. In any case, it's going to take upwards of a couple of years to save up that much, at which point I may just end up going custom. I just can't decide right now. Razz
Geoffrey C. Freeman
Durendal Fencing Club
Alex McCracken

PostPosted: Fri 05 Sep, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I voted in the uppermost range, as one of my upcoming swords is a
complex basket hilted backsword, based on a (who else) Walter Allen
masterpiece. It'll run in the 2K range, and will most likely have brass
and blackened steel pieces, along with all the other Allen usuals like
numerous cut-outs, piercings, etc. Vince actually saw the original while
in Scotland, and got some pretty good notes and sketches of it. He MAY
get to handle that piece as well if all works out, the next time he travels
back over to the UK for research.

Alex

Attachment: 27.52 KB
Walter Allen Curvy small.jpg

Last edited by Alex McCracken on Sun 07 Sep, 2003 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael L Smith

PostPosted: Sat 06 Sep, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Reckon my next sword will be either A&A's Gustav Vasa rapier or one of Albion's new Vikings. This puts me around the $700.00 mark unless I get the Albion before their sale ends.

Regards
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Sat 06 Sep, 2003 8:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The next sword that I actually have 'on order' is an L6 migration era sword from Kevin Cashen that will cost $2,000. Hopefully, I'll be able to buy several swords in the mean time as my wait for the migration era piece from Kevin is going to be up to four years! He's the only smith I would wait that long for.
Constant and true.
James Byrnes

PostPosted: Sun 07 Sep, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Range         Reply with quote

I also went in the 750-1k range. The next sword I am buying( or have bought to be honest) is a customized AT 1520 with grip and pommel by Christian Fletcher, as well as a historic scabbard and suspension system. Alltogether it will tip the scales a little over $900. I am also seriously considering two other designs, a custom type XX by Jason Dingeldine and the possibility of a XIX based on Records XIX.10( havent talked to Tinker yet, so unsure on time or cost of this one). All of this is fairly open to interpretation however, as I am finally coming up on my Armor commission slot and don't have a final price for that yet.

James Eek!

"Farewell sweet friend, I was a thousand times more evil than thou. "

Rocky Mountain Historical Combat Guild
All Saints Blades
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sun 07 Sep, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just recieved some great news from Peter Johnsson.

He mistakenly included Swedish VAT in the price he quoted me for my new sword. This means that the price is 20% lower than the original figure. The boss (my wife) has given the green light ,so in spite of loosing the part time gig the deal's back on! I'll have to sell some other production stuff so stand by for some shopping opportunities!

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Price point of your next sword purchase
Page 1 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: