Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > weapon weights Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael Edwards

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jun, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: weapon weights         Reply with quote

I'm trying to find some average weights for weapons that were in use during the middle ages (about 800-1400). Unfortunately my internet searches mostly turn up weights for modern recreations, not actual middle age weapons. Does anyone know of a web site that has weights for actual middle age weapons? Can I just post a list of weapons here so we can try and come up with average weights for them? A good list of the weapons that were in use during the middle ages would also be very helpful. The list I'm using was pieced together from various sources (mostly web sites) and I'm not sure how accurate it is.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jun, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is a ton if information available on this very Web site, including extensive lists of the various types of weapons. Further articles cover many weapons and often include weight stats for them.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Michael Edwards

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jun, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Really? I guess I'll have to take a better look at this site. All I could find when I looked around this site were reviews of modern recreations and tons of articles about swords.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jun, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edwards wrote:
Really? I guess I'll have to take a better look at this site. All I could find when I looked around this site were reviews of modern recreations and tons of articles about swords.

Looking at the tons of articles about swords will reveal a lot of info about said swords. One in particular, the one named Forms of European Edged Weaponry, will describe several types of European weapons to compare to your own list.

In terms of averages for weight, I humbly submit this is a faulty method of getting a good idea of the sword. The variance of weight, along with all other aspects of sword design, reveals an average that tells very little about these. What is really needed to understand the sword is a study of the various types of weapons and how they were used. Things changed over time and region a great deal. More t han that, samples even from the same time and region varied greatly. It's much more complex of a subject than a simple average weight could ever reveal.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Michael Edwards

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jun, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm looking for info on more than just swords. I'm also looking the weights of axes, maces, flails, pole arms, etc. The weights don't need to be too detailed or exact. I don't need to know the exact weight for every type of sword that existed in the middle ages. I'd just like to know how much a typical arming sword was likely to weight, or an estoc, or a one-handed mace, etc.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jun, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edwards wrote:
I'm looking for info on more than just swords. I'm also looking the weights of axes, maces, flails, pole arms, etc. The weights don't need to be too detailed or exact. I don't need to know the exact weight for every type of sword that existed in the middle ages. I'd just like to know how much a typical arming sword was likely to weight, or an estoc, or a one-handed mace, etc.

Michael,
We're not trying to harass you, but you'd have to define "typical" as there's a huge variety to these things. Happy

Most of our spotlight articles list weight for at least some of the items they show. Our 3 articles on items from the Higgins list weight as well. Many other articles do as well. You should also be able to look at the stats section in our reviews for high-quality replicas to find weights as well.

From the form Search function:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=8043

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jun, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to second..er...third... what Nathan and Chad mentioned. I was one of the few people who found the features long before I realized that there were forums, and it was a lucky thing I did. I poured through every article (some twice) and I must say my perspective on historical arms has been greatly altered.

I'd really encourage everyone to read as many of the features and reviews as possible. It saves a HUGE amount of time wasted answering basic questions (what's a distal taper you ask? how do I clean my exspensive new sword?).

Further, it just might save a person from asking the really painful questions (can a katana really slice through an Audi? What period is my Conan sword from?).

It certainly doesn't hurt to get familiar with the common termology before diving into the forums, either.
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jun, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Boy and Howdy ain't that the truth! myArmoury is Loaded with information! This has got to be the very best medieval European Weaponry website anywhere on the Internet! No two ways about it!

Nathan, you have orchestrated one awesome accomplishment with this website Exclamation Happy

Bob
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jun, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are a couple of pages with some comparative tables.

This first one is SCA based but has an assortment of items listed, including shields and maces.
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/shield_a...ights.html

Here are Matt Galas' tables, they have been around for a good long time.
http://www.palus.demon.co.uk/Sword_Stats.html

I don't think I'll ever get caught up reading and seeing everything here at myArmoury. A prodigous effort that continues to grow faster than I can absorb even what catches my attention.

Cheers

GC
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jun, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Here are a couple of pages with some comparative tables.

This first one is SCA based but has an assortment of items listed, including shields and maces.
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/shield_a...ights.html

Here are Matt Galas' tables, they have been around for a good long time.
http://www.palus.demon.co.uk/Sword_Stats.html

I don't think I'll ever get caught up reading and seeing everything here at myArmoury. A prodigous effort that continues to grow faster than I can absorb even what catches my attention.

Cheers

GC

Also, I've managed to find an inventory of the Wallace Collection, which includes the weight of each piece, by Googling it. As the Wallace collection is one of the most complete in the world, you may want to start there.

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > weapon weights
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic