Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > The Next Wave of NextGens... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some more infor on these four new swords in development.

All of them share blades with swords that are already in production. I am sorry that this will disappoint some of you.
These are all good blades and by using them again allows us to offer a variations for those who want something a little different.
The many shapes of the sword invites revisiting, so if you number among those disappointed, please do not loose heart alltogether, as there will be new blades offered in the future that overlap these time periods. Perhaps you will number among the lucky next time, who will find just your favourite combinaton represented by a Next Generation model.

I am happy to se all four included in the line, as they fill gaps that needed to be filled.

The Stamford:
The clean and simple D-shaped tea cosy is an absolute classic of sword shapes. I hope that I can do it justice with this carving. It is simple, but not simple, if you get my meaning. Even in such a shape as this, there is quite some subtlety in volumes and prportions. A nice challenge.

The Stamford has the same blade as the Reeve and the Bayeux.

The Knud:
One of these personal favourites again (I know: I have many!). The original that supplied the initial inspiration is displayed in the national museum of Kopenhagen. A weapon of unusual proportions. I like it, just becuase it is not main stream. The way I carved it, I let the shape be influnced a bit by the famous Sountaka sword, thereby making it less harsh i the way the forms come together. I find this nordic hilt type in its different versions quite interesting. I would like to retrn to the Batlic relatives of this sword sometime. They are really something else: antennae pommels and single edged blades. Something out of a fantasy movie, almost.

The Knud has the same blade as the Norman and the Senlac

The Burgundian
This addition to the line simply had to be made: an important and striking hilt type. Most of the surviving swords with type V pommels are single handed weapons. I have seen a number of the surviving ones and they are all hauntingly beautiful. They strike me as being mature in the development of their style. Very much in harmony with the architectural art of their time.
Sculptures in steel that are impressive statements of the skill of the craftsmen: pure technical skill but also a witness to a sharp eye for shape and proportion. Simply monumental work that trancends time and cutlure.

To have these impressive originals as inspiration can be a bit intimidating, but it is mostly very inspiring.
The Burgundian share the same blade as the Kingmaker and is similar in handling characteristics.

The Machiavelli
I am exited that the Machiavelli will be the first sword in the Next generation line that begin to establish the developed hilt.
The metalwork of the guards of toriginal swords of this type is inspiring. Crisp and graceful, with no dead meat. Careful fiework defines the different parts of the hilt in a way that still holds all together.

I made this hilt to go with the single handed XIX blade of the Next Generation line. It will be similar in heft to the Condottiere, while the Kern will show more blade prescence (because of its lighter pommel).
The Machiavelly will be an even balance between thrusting and cutting, although the blade itself is obviously a dedicated cutter. The hilt pose some new challenges for the Cutlers of Albion. Mastering this will open yet new possibilities. The Machiavelli is a natural progression towards the more fully developed hilts of the coming XIX hand and half. After that we will look to even later styles.

I am looking forward to hear more of your thoughts and questions!
Thanks!
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I probably mentioned this before, but I think you could do some hilt variations to the Type XV Poitiers, for instance putting a type V2 pommel and Type 11 guard on that blade.
Fabrice Cognot
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Peter

Thanks for the input Happy

Will the handle on the Burgundian be as angular as on the Regent ?

Cheers

Fab

PhD in medieval archeology.
HEMAC member
De Taille et d'Estoc director
Maker of high quality historical-inspired pieces.
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
To have these impressive originals as inspiration can be a bit intimidating, but it is mostly very inspiring.
The Burgundian share the same blade as the Kingmaker and is similar in handling characteristics.

Doesn't make a difference. It'll only shorten the adaptation time needed before I can go and kill you for your part in luring me into this vice--after I've procured both swords, of course... Wink
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great! I'm so happy to hear that the Stamford has the same blade as the Reeve and Bayeux!!!!! I have been considering one of those swords for a while, but this makes up my mind; it'll be a Stamford fo me!!!!!
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On the Poitiers:
We have been thinking about adding hilt versions to this blade.
I would also like to have a hollowground XV in the line, so the question is what hilts to use for the Poitiers blade and what types to save for a future hollowground blade.
A V2 or V1 pommel would be a nice addition to the line. I would also like to see a guard type 10 or 11 on these swords. Perhaps even a version wih a cut out for the index finger and a finger ring (a type 11 guard with finger ring)? a not so common feature, but very nice.

One the Burgindian:
The grip is hexagonal in section and fills your hand rather effectively. In section it is like a rather fat oval that has been cut in six planes. The cord riser is to provide purchase. It is not going to be a bottle shaped grip (this means the burgundian will not be offered with half wire wrap).
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:

All of them share blades with swords that are already in production. I am sorry that this will disappoint some of you.
These are all good blades and by using them again allows us to offer a variations for those who want something a little different.

Don't be sorry, Peter. That's also how the auto industry manages to spread their R&D costs over several product lines (Toyota Camry = Toyota Avalon = Lexus ES-350, for example...). It simply makes good business sense, which helps keep Albion's products as affordable as possible, which is a good thing for ALL of us! Besides, it would be a shame to discontinue any of these excellent blades after just one hilt style!

Peter Johnsson wrote:

The Stamford:
The clean and simple D-shaped tea cosy is an absolute classic of sword shapes. I hope that I can do it justice with this carving. It is simple, but not simple, if you get my meaning. Even in such a shape as this, there is quite some subtlety in volumes and prportions. A nice challenge.

The Stamford has the same blade as the Reeve and the Bayeux.

Since all 3 of these swords are basic variations on one blade, perhaps we can offer a package deal? Save $100 or so when you place an order for all 3? Just a wicked little thought!

*dangles little lure in front of Patrick Kelly and all the other 11th Century fans, grins wickedly*

Peter Johnsson wrote:

They are really something else: antennae pommels and single edged blades. Something out of a fantasy movie, almost.

Um... "Antennae" pommels? Can someone think of a good example, as I don't seem to be familiar with these...?

Peter Johnsson wrote:

The Burgundian

Ah, yes. I see that now. I'm looking forward to this one!

Peter Johnsson wrote:

The Machiavelli
I am exited that the Machiavelli will be the first sword in the Next generation line that begin to establish the developed hilt.
The metalwork of the guards of toriginal swords of this type is inspiring. Crisp and graceful, with no dead meat. Careful fiework defines the different parts of the hilt in a way that still holds all together.

I'm normally not really into the "developed" hilts, as I like things with a symmetrical blade to repeat that theme in the hilt. Thanks to the symmetric hilt, I have to say that this one really piques my interest! I might actually have to add it to my "short" list. I think my Ren Faire persona (a Saxon knight) will have to defeat an Italian nobelman in a judicial duel to win this sword...

Peter Johnsson wrote:

I am looking forward to hear more of your thoughts and questions!

I'm not going to ask for a new blade style, but I would like to see something done with the two early-medieval blades that truely caught my eye. Perhaps a Wheeler Type 8 or 9 hilt can be fixed to that long, Xa/XI blade currently found on the Gaddjalt? I was also wondering what could be in store for the Xa blade of the Templar, as I think it is the most "sophisticated" of the Xa's you currently produce.

I'm glad to see you guys are keeping yourselves hard at work producing new models. I always enjoy viewing (and, hopefully soon, buying) your excellent swords.

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Mathieu Harlaut

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Burgundian looks great. I am really thrilled to see this type of sword developped by Albion. I can't wait to see it finished in picture or for real. It is going to be hard to wait so long! Happy

Peter, the pommel of the Burgundian looks very similar to the one of the Sforza sword in the Medieval Museum in Paris. (the one I send you picture of a very long time ago). Is it the inspiration for this pommel?

That would be great since this pommel is really amazing in 3 dimensions. Happy
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mathieu Harlaut wrote:
The Burgundian looks great. I am really thrilled to see this type of sword developped by Albion. I can't wait to see it finished in picture or for real. It is going to be hard to wait so long! Happy

Peter, the pommel of the Burgundian looks very similar to the one of the Sforza sword in the Medieval Museum in Paris. (the one I send you picture of a very long time ago). Is it the inspiration for this pommel?

That would be great since this pommel is really amazing in 3 dimensions. Happy

Mathieu,

You are spot on :-)
I visited Paris a few years back and lost an unknown amount of time standing in awe in front of the cabinet where they keep the late medieval swords. The Sforza sword is in there. Seeing this sword is like the climax of a pilgrimage. Afterwards the world is a little bigger and deeper. I have tried my best to incorporate the features I found fashinating with the Sforza pommel when carving the hilt for the Burgundian. The guard is different of course. I let another famous sword be the inspiration for the guard: # XVIII.4 on page 175 in "Records", only with the ecusson removed.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
Since all 3 of these swords are basic variations on one blade, perhaps we can offer a package deal? Save $100 or so when you place an order for all 3? Just a wicked little thought!

Perhaps you should give Mike a call?
Big Grin Cool
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Are there any new hand and a halfers in the works? The type XIIa and XVIa blades are seriously underused in the Next Generation lineup. I'd love to see these two coupled with other crosses and pommels in keeping with their respective time periods. Also, is there any plan to offer additional Squire Line swords or Museum Line swords? I know the Museum Line was targeting one to two pieces a year, the last being the SoSM, but for the Squire Line, it's almost like they've been forgotten in light of their Next Generation brethren. It would be great to see a few more diverse offerings in the Squire Line for those of us who are on a budget.
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
I'm not going to ask for a new blade style, but I would like to see something done with the two early-medieval blades that truely caught my eye. Perhaps a Wheeler Type 8 or 9 hilt can be fixed to that long, Xa/XI blade currently found on the Gaddjalt? I was also wondering what could be in store for the Xa blade of the Templar, as I think it is the most "sophisticated" of the Xa's you currently produce.

Jeremiah,

Eric and I have recently had some talks about the templar blade and possible developments. Perhaps we shall see one or two additional hilts for that one.

Earlier migration period swords are something we are going to do. There are a few technical aspects that needs to be worked on first. I think it is most realistic to see completely new blades for such hilts.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Blair wrote:
Are there any new hand and a halfers in the works? The type XIIa and XVIa blades are seriously underused in the Next Generation lineup. I'd love to see these two coupled with other crosses and pommels in keeping with their respective time periods. Also, is there any plan to offer additional Squire Line swords or Museum Line swords? I know the Museum Line was targeting one to two pieces a year, the last being the SoSM, but for the Squire Line, it's almost like they've been forgotten in light of their Next Generation brethren. It would be great to see a few more diverse offerings in the Squire Line for those of us who are on a budget.

Jonathan has a good point on the Type XIIa and XVIas. One sword of each is simply not enough. Especially considering how popular the Crecy is, I would think that another XVIa would be a very welcome addition.

I too was going to ask about the Museum Line. It's worth developing, in my opinion, because there's a lot of people who see a specific historic sword, fall in love with it, and want a high end replica of it. So, if you have more blades on offer for the Museum Line, you help to better fill a niche not covered by the Next Gen line. Of course, the question becomes "Which swords should appear on the Museum Line and which ones should not?" It's obviously tricky trying to make individual swords, since everyone has their own favourite. But one good way to approach it is to see which swords appear to be popular with quite a few members of myArmoury. One such candidate is the XVII/XXa that was discussed in the forums a while back: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=5772&start=0
David Sutton

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think this seems like the logical direction for the Next Generation line to go in. Albion have built up quite a back catalogue of blade types and it makes sense that they should extend the life of those types by offering different combinations of hilts and blades. The down side of this is that people might end up with duplicated blades but the up side is that the time from a sword design appearing as a prototype sketch to it appearing for sale will be that much shorter. Anyway I have a couple of questions or Peter if hes still around (sorry if I'm being a little cheeky! Big Grin )

a. Are there any plans to expand the Squire Line of swords with either new blade types or the inclusion of new hilts
'a la' Next Gen line?

b. How is the development of the 'oakeshott' and 'Chevalier' type Xa's coming on and is there any news on when we can expect them to be on sale? They have a very interesting blade design and I'm dying to see how Albion will handle this (brilliantly as always im presuming!!! Wink ).

'Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all'

'To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing'

Hypatia of Alexandria, c400AD
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Sutton wrote:
a. Are there any plans to expand the Squire Line of swords with either new blade types or the inclusion of new hilts
'a la' Next Gen line?

b. How is the development of the 'oakeshott' and 'Chevalier' type Xa's coming on and is there any news on when we can expect them to be on sale? They have a very interesting blade design and I'm dying to see how Albion will handle this (brilliantly as always im presuming!!! Wink ).

Hey David,

a.
The Squire Line is not forgotten. It needs to be expanded and we are thinking on ways to do this. hopefully this will happen in a way that is quite thrilling, offerening new possibilities. It is too early to go into the details yet.

b.
The blade for the Oakeshott/Chevaier was somehow jinxed and came out in strange ways from the CNC. I have one good prototype blade that has seen some testing. I have also recently had an opportunity to document the actual sword in the Wallace Collection that is the inspiration for the NG swords. This was quite exiting, as my design was based on a limited amount of second hand info and personal impressions after having seen the sword on display many times over the years, but no personal documentation. With this info and impressions at hand, I applied principles of the golden section. It was fun to actually have the prototype blade brought along when documenting the original in London earlier this year. The prototype blade is really very very close to the original in dynamic balance and weight even if some dimensions are slightly different here and there (talking about differences of less than 1 milimeter).
The original is very organic in its shape. Section of the fuller is not a true radius, for example. This means that you need to make some adjustments in thickness and cross section of a production version to get the weight and mass distribution the same as the museum sword.
It seems like the principles of the golden section applied in backwards engineering worked pretty well in this case.
The resulting Next Generation swords are going to be very close in weight and dynamics to the sword in the Wallace collection.

I have done test cutting with the prototype blade and been impressed by its hungry bite.
It has a very natural and pleasant heft.

I think the jinxing of the CNC in this case is now solved, or close to being solved. This means the swords are that much closer to reaching the market.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think you should create a type XIII, perhaps based on XIII.1 in Oakeshott's Records. There just aren't enough replicas of this subtype around, though the Albion Count and Steward may be in the borderlands between XIII and XIIIa.
David Sutton

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter, many thanks for taking the time to reply to my questions and so fast too! I'm sure you could end up spending all day answering questions about Albion swords!!! Its good to hear that there will be some interesting things in the pipeline for the Squire line swords and that you got over your jinxing problem with the Oakeshott/Chevalier blade. I think the Oakeshott and Chevalier are going to be two very exciting swords from Albion and I for one can't wait to see them.
'Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all'

'To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing'

Hypatia of Alexandria, c400AD
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mr. Johnsson is there any hope for a bigger example of a type X down the road anywhere? I love the design shared for the Reeve/Bayeux/Stamford. So much so, that in addition to the Reeve I have already ordered, I will also get a Stamford once they are available despite the duplicate blade.
However, all of those are on the small end of the historical type X's, you have said as much yourself in earlier threads. It would be great to see some of the dynamic principles you applied in the making of Patrick Kelly's "Big Johnnson" put to use on a NG type X. A real shield splitter moreso than a leg biter, if you get my meaning...

respectfully,

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Grayson C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey guys!

You've already heard this a lot by others, but I'm going to through my support and admiration behind them and say you've outdone anything we could have expected - as usual. These swords look absolutely phenominal. None of these typologies were particularly appealing to me (I'm a big type XI fan) but because of what you've done with the swords, I've reexamined what I like. My only regret is that there's no way I could buy all four! Hopefully, though, I'll have enough money to buy at least one of these tantalizing designs.

Since we're on the topic of making suggestions...

Any plans for another sword with a cocked hat pommel? I own the Ritter and it is the pride and joy of my collection. I know that these swords are not really popular, but I for one can't get enough. Hopefully we can see more?

Anyways, awesome job, Ablion! I'm an amateur sword designer (for fun) and I couldn't come up with anything near that quality.
Tim May

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would just like to thank David for asking the question I was going to (I cannot wait for the Chevalier, both the blade and the hilt are beautiful), and Mr. Johnsson for answering is such detail, your insistence on perfection will truly be greatly appreciated in these new swords as it is with all the existing next gens...and museum lines...and squire lines...and maestro lines (by the way, the I:33 is gorgeous). Now all the reasons to spend money are in place, if only I can come up with a way to make it... Big Grin

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > The Next Wave of NextGens...
Page 2 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: