Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > NEW BOOK: 'The Real Fighting Stuff' by Tobias Capwell Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Jeffrey Hedgecock
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: NEW BOOK: 'The Real Fighting Stuff' by Tobias Capwell         Reply with quote

Almost the entire history of European arms and armour is represented in Glasgow Museums’ collection. It includes swords from the ancient world, the armour of medieval knights, both early and modern firearms, and perhaps the most important assembly of Scottish weapons in public hands. This lavishly illustrated book is the first publication to survey the complete collection.

Special features: Detailed reconstructions by noted artist Graham Turner; a step-by-step photographic guide to arming a medieval knight; depictions of arms and armour in Glasgow Museums’ rich art collection; and the manuscripts and rare books of the Robert Lyons Scott Library.

About the author: Tobias Capwell has devoted his academic studies, working life and personal time to pursing his lifelong passion for arms and armour. As Curator of Arms and Armour at Glasgow Museums, he acquired an in-depth knowledge of the collection. As a champion jouster, he has a first-hand appreciation of his subject.

Paperback; 297 x 210 mm; 104 pages
Colour photographs throughout, plus reconstructions and drawings

BONUS We have a limited number of books signed by the author which are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Order early to receive a signed copy!

'The Real Fighting Stuff'

Cheers,

Jeffrey Hedgecock
Historic Enterprises, Inc.
WorldJoust Tournaments™
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cool! Getting the credit card now...
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW BOOK: 'The Real Fighting Stuff' by Tobias Capwell         Reply with quote

Jeffrey Hedgecock wrote:

Almost the entire history of European arms and armour is represented in Glasgow Museums’ collection. It includes swords from the ancient world, the armour of medieval knights, both early and modern firearms, and perhaps the most important assembly of Scottish weapons in public hands. This lavishly illustrated book is the first publication to survey the complete collection.

Special features: Detailed reconstructions by noted artist Graham Turner; a step-by-step photographic guide to arming a medieval knight; depictions of arms and armour in Glasgow Museums’ rich art collection; and the manuscripts and rare books of the Robert Lyons Scott Library.

About the author: Tobias Capwell has devoted his academic studies, working life and personal time to pursing his lifelong passion for arms and armour. As Curator of Arms and Armour at Glasgow Museums, he acquired an in-depth knowledge of the collection. As a champion jouster, he has a first-hand appreciation of his subject.

Paperback; 297 x 210 mm; 104 pages
Colour photographs throughout, plus reconstructions and drawings

BONUS We have a limited number of books signed by the author which are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Order early to receive a signed copy!

'The Real Fighting Stuff'

The book looks good!

Is this just about the items in the Glasgow Museum collection or is it more general?

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Jeffrey Hedgecock
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The arms and armour photos are of Glasgow Museums holdings, but the book gives a good overview of arms and armour in general.

There are also nice reconstruction paintings by my friend Graham Turner, and shots of Toby's black armour, in an arming sequence.

Overall, lots of good info, at a very reasonable price..........and we're the first ones in the US to have it, I'm pretty sure!

Cheers,

Jeffrey Hedgecock
WorldJoust Tournaments™
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeffrey Hedgecock wrote:
The arms and armour photos are of Glasgow Museums holdings, but the book gives a good overview of arms and armour in general.

There are also nice reconstruction paintings by my friend Graham Turner, and shots of Toby's black armour, in an arming sequence.

Overall, lots of good info, at a very reasonable price..........and we're the first ones in the US to have it, I'm pretty sure!

Sold!

I'm going to order one tonight. Happy

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Hugh Knight

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I ordered mine this morning--I'm very excited!
Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
Alexander Hinman

Reading list: 50 books

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Had a good look at this book on my last visit to the Kelvingrove. It's not incredibly scholarly in its writing, and so very accessible to the public, but still a very good read, full of good research. Sadly, I've been cutting back on my spending recently, and so didn't add it to my bookshelf, but it's in the Kelvingrove's small public library, so I won't exactly be missing out.

One of the coolest things in it is a drawing of an Avant Armour reconstruction, with the barbute changed out for an armet and a few other modifications. It's also got pictures of the 'english style armour' that's featured here to show the stages if of putting on armour.

Very, very cool.
Joe Fults

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looking at some of the sample pages, the quality seems quite nice.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just ordered my copy. I hope to get a signed copy. It will go well with my signed David Edge and Claude Blair books. Happy
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I just ordered my copy. I hope to get a signed copy. It will go well with my signed David Edge and Claude Blair books. Happy

I just placed my order, too, hoping for a signed copy. *fingers crossed*

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jeffrey Hedgecock
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don't worry guys, you'll be in there for signed copies.

Though response to the release has been unprecendented, we do still have a few signed copies available, but they're going fast. If anyone is really interested in having a signed copy, they should order in the next day or so just to be sure.

Thanks for your continued interest and patronage!!

Cheers,

Jeffrey Hedgecock
WorldJoust Tournaments™
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ordered one this morning. Looks like a great book.
Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got behind on my post reading, and just saw this book. It looks great, and I just ordered one, too. Probably too late for a signed copy Cry .
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jeffrey Hedgecock
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jun, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, sorry, you missed the signed ones by a day. We sold the last one at about 2pm PST on Friday 6.8.07. They went really fast.

We have more copies of the book but they're not signed. If you ever go over to London, take your copy with you and see Toby at the Wallace Collection. I imagine he'd be happy to sign it for you. Cool

Thanks for your order!

Cheers,

Jeffrey Hedgecock
WorldJoust Tournaments™
Hisham Gaballa

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jun, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mine arrived on Friday. I ordered it from amazon.co.uk. They delivered in 27 days. You can also order it it from Caliver books, but they charge more.

It's a great book, but it leaves you hungry for more. Big Grin

I also accidentally damaged the binding and some pages have come loose. That's my fault for trying to read it in secret at work. The postman delivered it just as i was setting off! Happy
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeffery,

Thank you so much! I just completed my order! Chomping at the bit for 2nd day air arrival!

Sincerely,

Bob
Jeffrey Hedgecock
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jun, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

Thanks very much for your order.

I'm afraid we owe you an apology since you probably expect your book to arrive really quick, having requested expedited shipping. The 2nd batch of books (the unsigned ones) are still on their way to us and we won't be shipping them till around June 27th. We were caught a bit off guard by the response to the release, and when we neared selling out of the signed copies we immediately ordered a second batch, but unfortunately it will take a few days for them to get here. I'm sorry we didn't note the ship date on the site. I've corrected that now.

If you would still like us to ship your book by 2nd day, we can, but if you'd prefer to go with UPS ground, we can adjust the order total when we ship (orders aren't actually charged until shipped). Please email our order manager Francena at orders@historicenterprises.com with your choice.

We're sorry for any inconvenience.

Cheers,

Jeffrey Hedgecock
WorldJoust Tournaments™
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 21 Jun, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got my copy yesterday. I've only thumbed through it and read a bit here and there, but it's nicely done. The pictures are great and I really enjoyed seeing the drawing of what the Avant armour might have looked like in its original form. Dr. Capwell's blackened harness is beautiful and seeing it donned piece by piece was interesting.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jun, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Got my copy yesterday, Friday 29th, and I am very happy Happy ! It's a beautiful high quality pictorial and informative overview of arms & armor from the ancient days up to the 18th century. The visual detail is absolutely stunning!

Very Happy!

Bob
Malcolm A

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jun, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi guys
I bought my copy when I visited the Burrel Collection in Glasgow recently.
Some of the items that are in the book were on show there and were magnificent to look at.

Of particular interest was the dagger on page 62; shown as item 24.
It looks like a normal rondel BUT the lower disc is not circular and the handle / blade are not centred on it; seems most unusual.
The blade itself was triangular in section and overall the dagger looks menacing to say the least.

I now need to plan a return visit to the Burrel remembering to take my camera and also allow time to go see the Kelvingrove Museum as well.

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > NEW BOOK: 'The Real Fighting Stuff' by Tobias Capwell
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: