Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Next Generation Swords Update Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Harlan Hastings
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 07 May, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert B. Allison wrote:
a recent inquiry to Albion generated the reply that they are struggling with the fullered pommel, grip-panels, and guard. Can anyone comment on or describe what is causing the difficulty and when it might be resolved?

Hi Robert,

We are struggling with the fullered fitting/grip equation. The difficulty lies in producing a grip scale that tapers in all directions, that has corner bevels that also taper, as well as a fuller that changes in width and depth over it's length. In addition, all those tapers and bevels have to match the ones Peter has designed into the pommel and guard. And then, to really frustrate the cutlers, wood and steel abrade at markedly different rates making the final surface finishing a nightmare.

While this can be accomplished in a one off, custom environment with hours of very careful handwork, making it happen in a production setting while still maintaining the level of fit and finish customers have come to expect is an entirely different ball of wax.

As to when it'll be done, (shrug) I can't really say. We spend time every week trying to work out possibilities that will give us the final product we and you are looking for. Albion went through a similar situation with the development of the Maestro Line swords. We hope you think they were ultimately worth the extra time and effort.

Harlan Hastings
Production Manager
Albion Swords Ltd.
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 07 May, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know it's been mentioned before, but one day down the road I think basket-hilts, rapiers, and smallswords should be considered for the NextGen line. Or perhaps Middle Eastern style blades? If there's a will, there's a way! Wink
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Max von Bargen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Mon 07 May, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
I know it's been mentioned before, but one day down the road I think basket-hilts, rapiers, and smallswords should be considered for the NextGen line. Or perhaps Middle Eastern style blades? If there's a will, there's a way! Wink

It's an excellent idea for the future, but I think that it's in everyone's best interests if before creating new designs they finished making all of their current ones. I would love to see a rapier by Albion, though. That would be amazing.

Max
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Mon 07 May, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I hope this is not deviating off topic but how does the wire wrap grip affect a swords performance. On the Munich it adds 0.8 grams and brings the POB closer to the guard, but instead of looking at the "numbers" is there anyone who knows how to handle a sword that could say what the real effect would be in use.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 07 May, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
It could be that I did indeed misquote Peter, but you and I seem to be saying pretty much the same thing only in different words, no?

Yeah. Probably Happy

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 08 May, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Just back from this year Solingen show and saw this thread!

On the question on swapping of hilt components: it is a complex situation.
Each individual blade type in the NG line has its own unique tang shape. Swapping a pommel from another blade could mean the hole in the pommel is too big or too small. Making changes in the wax before it is sent to th foundry is not really an option in the volume of parts being shipped and the risk of some parts being mislaid or delayed at the foundry. Very difficult to keep track of one custom adjusted pommel in the flow of everything.

It is true that you can adjust the weight of the pommel for a blade to get different characteristics in the sword.
As the designer, I like to have the final say in what the character of the swords in the NG line should have. This is not arbitrary, quite the contrary: it is one of the central themes for the line that the swords shall exhibit characteristics of actual historical swords of their type.
if the choice was free of any pommel to any blade, there is no longer a unifying theme of the line making sure they are true to historical counterparts in handling *and* visual character. The NG swords reach second hand market and should then still hold true to the philosophy of the product line. A sword that was once made as an exception will as a second hand sword reach the market without any clear identity marking it as anything else than a NG line sword.

Finally there is also the case that some blades now have a pommel that might be close to the extreme end of the spectrum light or heavy. If a sword is given a pommel that is lighter than the intended that is already on the light side, there is little left of the typical character of the sword.

I have also strived to combine blades and hilt types to reflect not only handling characterstics, but also "cultural" or stylistic features of various swords through out history. With a free for all in hilt combination, this important identity feature of the Ng line is void.

The question of customization is brought up with some frequency. I hope this explanation shows the reason why I feel less than enthusiastic about it.
On the other hand I am always interested to learn about customer interests in various swordtypes, and strive to develop the line in a way that reflects both the rich variation of historical swords, but also meeting frequent and/or interesting customer requests.
So, please keep expressing your needs, hopes and interests!
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Tue 08 May, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:

I have also strived to combine blades and hilt types to reflect not only handling characterstics, but also "cultural" or stylistic features of various swords through out history. With a free for all in hilt combination, this important identity feature of the Ng line is void.

The question of customization is brought up with some frequency. I hope this explanation shows the reason why I feel less than enthusiastic about it.

On the other hand I am always interested to learn about customer interests in various swordtypes, and strive to develop the line in a way that reflects both the rich variation of historical swords, but also meeting frequent and/or interesting customer requests.

Hi Peter,

You bring up a very interesting point regarding your choice of hilt set-up and cultural significance. This point sort of (briefly) crossed my mind as I was reading through this thread. You should definitely stick to your philosophy on this, as it keeps a cultural and historic relevance to your product that make the sword market itself intriguing and inspiring.

Keep up the good work! The Next Generation line is the sort of stuff I truely aspire to own someday.

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Tue 08 May, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
Hi guys,

Just back from this year Solingen show and saw this thread!

On the question on swapping of hilt components: it is a complex situation.
Each individual blade type in the NG line has its own unique tang shape. Swapping a pommel from another blade could mean the hole in the pommel is too big or too small. Making changes in the wax before it is sent to th foundry is not really an option in the volume of parts being shipped and the risk of some parts being mislaid or delayed at the foundry. Very difficult to keep track of one custom adjusted pommel in the flow of everything.

It is true that you can adjust the weight of the pommel for a blade to get different characteristics in the sword.
As the designer, I like to have the final say in what the character of the swords in the NG line should have. This is not arbitrary, quite the contrary: it is one of the central themes for the line that the swords shall exhibit characteristics of actual historical swords of their type.
if the choice was free of any pommel to any blade, there is no longer a unifying theme of the line making sure they are true to historical counterparts in handling *and* visual character. The NG swords reach second hand market and should then still hold true to the philosophy of the product line. A sword that was once made as an exception will as a second hand sword reach the market without any clear identity marking it as anything else than a NG line sword.

Finally there is also the case that some blades now have a pommel that might be close to the extreme end of the spectrum light or heavy. If a sword is given a pommel that is lighter than the intended that is already on the light side, there is little left of the typical character of the sword.

Peter,

I certainly did not mean to imply a swapping "free for all" with the NG line hilt components. I was really only thinking of switches and exchanges that were period appropriate. The thing is, while I really like Albion's swords, there are a few things that I'd change around or customize on existing swords if I could. For example, I'd like to see a Type XI sword like the Hospitaller with the same type of guard, only with a tea cosy pommel, rather than a disk pommel. The problem for you guys though is that you cannot realistically cater to the desires of individual customers by making all new Next Gen line swords. There's just too many people with too many different tastes to make that sort of thing feasible. That's where allowing hilt and pommel customization could fill a niche.

Consider another example. Of the Next Generation long swords, I like the Crecy quite a lot. However, I already own the Knight and Sempach, which means that I have two NG swords with some form of octaganal guard. If I get another sword, I'd rather pick up one with a different guard. I like to have variety in my pommel and guard styles. I realize that this is totally anachronistic and based upon my personal desires, rather than what would have been the case with period weapons, but we're not talking about cheap swords either, so I figure I should go with what I like. Being able to swap guards for something that is different but still appropriate to a sword like the Crecy would provide the option of having that extra variety in swords.

I realize that for the various other reasons you've mentioned that the hilt furniture swapping probably still is not a realistic idea. However, I wanted to explain my thinking behind it.
Jeremy V. Krause

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 09 May, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah Craig, fret not- the word is that a tea cozy pommel is on it's way for the NGs. Now when this will happen we cannot say but I'm hoping sooner rather than later because tea cozy pommels are beautiful! Yes, a big plump tea cozy would be so nice!

Jeremy
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Wed 09 May, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Ah Craig, fret not- the word is that a tea cozy pommel is on it's way for the NGs. Now when this will happen we cannot say but I'm hoping sooner rather than later because tea cozy pommels are beautiful! Yes, a big plump tea cozy would be so nice!

Jeremy

Yeah, but lets hope its on an X or Xa, not an XI Razz

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Wed 09 May, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:

Yeah, but lets hope its on an X or Xa, not an XI Razz

Case and point: Wink

Craig Peters wrote:
The problem for you guys though is that you cannot realistically cater to the desires of individual customers by making all new Next Gen line swords. There's just too many people with too many different tastes to make that sort of thing feasible.
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Thu 10 May, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would like to see a tea cozy on a type XI also. There are enough type Xs and Xas on the NG line and I feel that type XIs are underrepresented.

Jeremy
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Thu 10 May, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, but no matter which way they go, it's still quite a ways off.
I agree the XI is underrepresented, and they do have several Xa's, but as for pommel styles there isn't much diversity in that line either. However, like the XI they only have two true type X's. In fact the X line up and XI line up are quite similar (1 wheel, 1 other pommel).
Not only that, but the XI's they do have are far more representitive of the class than the true X's they have are. The Reeve and the Bayuex are on the small and nimble end of the class, so I'm still hoping they decide to put the tea cozy on a big beefy type X. However if they do decide to put the tea cozy on an XI, I'll probably be tempted to get it, just to broaden my collection (which at this point is exclusively X and Xa's. I have a preference for swords contemporary to the Norman Conquest)...

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Michael Clark

PostPosted: Thu 10 May, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmm...

Has anyone noted that, for today at least, there were some sword updates?

I'm not sure if any more were done, but I noticed much more crisp images of the Count and Viceroy swords.
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Thu 10 May, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I probably wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out. It looks like the Caithness and the Thegn also got new pictures.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Michael Clark

PostPosted: Fri 11 May, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Did it again: Albion updated sword images. Yesterday it was the Thegn, Caithness, Count and Viceroy. Today they got around to the Laird, Squire, Baron, Duke, Steward, Mercenary, Crecy, Landgraf and Sempach... shoiney!

I must say, even though I had been thinking before that the pictures were beginning to look a tad outdated, especially with the additions of the Fiore, Ringneck and Munich. And I honestly hadn't expected them to begin updating them, so I'm awfully respectful of them for doing such. Now we (those of us unable to attain the items) can stare in further awe. I wonder if they'll have the entire line updated by the end of next week...

Edit: And now the Norman, Senlac, Sovereign and Castellan.
Bruce Wilson

PostPosted: Fri 11 May, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Much impressed by the new images of the Ringeck with it's new-look waisted grip. I liked the look of the original concept drawings and I have been waiting for some time to see what a finished version of this sword would look like and I very much like what I see.

That said, I'm also intrigued buy the idea of the Mercenary with a waisted grip - are there any pictures out there of such a sword yet?

Time to put some cash to one side...

Blush

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Next Generation Swords Update
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: