Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Chain Mail makers Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ben Ellington

PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject: Chain Mail makers         Reply with quote

Hey y'all,
Anyone have any experience with Von Sussen (a seller of Mail on Ebay)? I've looked around for decently priced mail, and like the look of his flattened wedge-rivetted mail shirts. Otherwise though, I'm just looking for some good makers to go to for rivetted mail shirts (hauberk or byrnie); preferably with flattened rings. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated Happy

Axe-time, sword-time, shields are sundered, Wind-time, wolf-time, ere the world falls.
Shawn Henthorn

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Haven't dealt with them (got mine from Kings lance) but I have heard good things about them. It seems their mail is almost identical to those which people say are "high quality" but at a cheaper price. How ever it seems that the trade off is that the quality control is somewhat lacking and you will need to replace a number of links.
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a Von Sussen Wedge Riveted Hauberk. Its great, although it did need a handful of links replaced. A friend also has the stainless round rivet shirt. It is also of good quality. Don't buy the mild steel round rivet however. I have heard unfavorable things about it....
If you have any more questions, or would like some pics of the hauberk, PM me...

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Chain Mail makers         Reply with quote

Ben Ellington wrote:
Hey y'all,
Anyone have any experience with Von Sussen (a seller of Mail on Ebay)? I've looked around for decently priced mail, and like the look of his flattened wedge-rivetted mail shirts. Otherwise though, I'm just looking for some good makers to go to for rivetted mail shirts (hauberk or byrnie); preferably with flattened rings. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated Happy

A couple of our guys have VS galvanized flattened ring mail. Its very rough and requires thorough inspection before trusting it to resist steel weapons. it would probably be better without the coating. Other than that, its a good value, IMHO.

Kel
Ben Ellington

PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

alright thank y'all very much Happy

I'm luckily not particularly a fan of galvanized shirts; I like the look of the darker "baked-on" oil finish as he calls it. Does anyone know a good resource for learning just how to replace bad links in such a shirt? I've never dealt with mail before, so I should probably start reading up on that before I spring for the 8mm flattened wedge byrnie. Thank y'all again!

Axe-time, sword-time, shields are sundered, Wind-time, wolf-time, ere the world falls.
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I use 9mm rings from Forth Armoury for repairs, since the Von Sussen Hauberk I got, though advertised as 8mm, was actually 9mm. It was a long though, at 36" from shoulder to hem, as opposed to 30", so perhaps thats why its 9mm. You'll also want a pair of riveting tongs. It makes the job much easier...
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As for other places to get flat riveted maille, I've seen www.wholesalearmor.com selling round riveted flat rings.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Shawn Henthorn

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 01 May, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah wholesalearmor.com is Kings lance on e-bay. Their mail is decent and cheaper than von sussens but it is the zinc dipped stuff so be prepared to do some vinegar soaking. Plus like Mr. Eversberg said it is round rivet on flat link that they have most often. Every once is a while you will see a wedge riveted one fore about $50 more.
Ben Ellington

PostPosted: Sat 05 May, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

so I got a shirt from wholesale armor; galvanized and flat, round rivetted. Thank y'all very much for the advice!! Now though, what is the actual process one needs follow to remove zinc plating and, hopefully achieve a "baked on oil" appearance/protection for the mail? Thank y'all again!
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Sat 05 May, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Your going to need to do an over night vinegar bath to strip the maille. Muratic acid works as well, but you need to be careful, since it'll strip through the zinc pretty fast, and starting eating away steel. PLEASE, PLEASE be careful of the zinc fumes done either way. THEY CAN KILL YOU! Only do this outdoors!!!
To get the baked on finish, you will have to do that as a seperate step. Personally, I like the look of a steel finish. It takes more maintanence, but is more historical I believe. You can also seal in floor polish for a less hassle approach. However if you still want a blackened baked on finish, it can be achieved by soaking the maille in oil (not sure what kind) and placing in your oven set on high. I believe throwing it on the grill will work too. It doesn't really add that much rust prevention. However once blackened, a rust converter product can be used on any rust that develops and it will match the blackened finish, since rust converters turn rust black.
I would like to add that a steel finish is not hard to maintain. My hauberk gets fought in weekly, often twice a week, and I don't have any rust. And this is the humid swamps of Louisiana. I do keep it lighty oiled with Ballistol, but will soon be sealing with floor polish...

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Chain Mail makers
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic