Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > MRL Medieval Footwear Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jim Adelsen
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: MRL Medieval Footwear         Reply with quote

Since I'm pretty weak when it comes to historical footwear I like to get some opinions on whether any of the MRL footwear is at all historical for Vikings. They have quite a few that are described as Medieval and they also have some new Viking Boots. I would like feedback on look and materials. Thanks.

Viking boots
http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/eCat/m..._boot.aspx

Medieval Tradesman boot

Medieval infantry boot

Medieval boots
http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/eCat/w...ringe.aspx
[url][/url]

www.viking-shield.com
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

None of those are particularly period. Especially the last one, which is a mocassin. A better place to look would be Revival Clothing, Historic Enterprises, or Chivalry Bookshelf/Revival Leather (which is a seperate entity from Revival Clothing)...
What period are you looking for shoes for?
I especially like the Viking Boot by Revival Leather. That's what I use for my 11th C. Norman Impression. Soon they will have it Red and Brown too...

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Al Muckart

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These are... well let's just say that they aren't even slightly period and leave it at that. Both the materials and the patterns are pretty much completely wrong.

As a general rule, avoid shoes from anywhere that sells generic factory made "medieval" stuff like MRL swords or "fantasy" shoes. They're pretty much all useless.

I have never bought from these places because I make my own, but here are some suppliers:

Bjarni's Boots makes museum-quality reproduction footwear, with prices to match.

Plantagenet Shoes have some really nice looking stuff at quite reasonable prices.

Medieval Design has a nice pair of 10th century ankle shoes.

Dru Shoemaker has a pretty extensive range including some 9th-10th century models but I don't think the price/quality ratio is much to write home about based on the pictures.

The revival ones are still machine made but the quality is good and they're a lot more authentic than the MRL ones.

You could always make your own. Shoes of this style are relatively easy to make given patience and some very basic leatherworking skills.

--
Al.
http://wherearetheelves.net
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also, Talbot is now making very highly accurate footwear for us at Revival Clothing. The ankle boots have a modernly constructed sole (not turned) but the low cut turnshoes are very, very nitpicky correct.

All the best,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Al Muckart wrote:
These are... well let's just say that they aren't even slightly period and leave it at that. Both the materials and the patterns are pretty much completely wrong.

As a general rule, avoid shoes from anywhere that sells generic factory made "medieval" stuff like MRL swords or "fantasy" shoes. They're pretty much all useless.

I have never bought from these places because I make my own, but here are some suppliers:

Dru Shoemaker has a pretty extensive range including some 9th-10th century models but I don't think the price/quality ratio is much to write home about based on the pictures.

I have a pair of Dru Shoemaker shoes (the standard 14th century "Medieval shoe", plus I know the guy (he's part of my LH group). The shoes are much better than the pictures. I highly recommend them.

As for MRL, the only thing they are good for any more is a laugh or a project sword. The clothing is all wrong, from cut to fabric, and is what Hollywood thinks was worn in period. I'll never buy another stitch of clothing or accessories from them. Ever

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I actually own a pair of the ones in the last pic. I never wore them, really -- too narrow for my rather wide feet, and the bottom of the shoe is made of some kind of foam.

M.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glennan Carnie

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd recommend Plantagenet Shoes.

Morgan makes his shoes to measure, to your feet, so they'll be a perfect fit. All his designs are copies of extant finds so they're all period-correct.

He'll also 'service' your shoes if they need it; so they should last for years.
Patrick Fitzmartin

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greetings Jim Adelsen, Viking footwear has been a pain in the neck for me. I finally ordered a pair of Armlann's double Viking boots. His stuff looks pretty good and he is located here in the U.S.. His pricing is pretty good too from everything I have looked at. I will give a review when they arrive. Sincerely, Patrick Fitzmartin
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Mon 23 Apr, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a pair of Armlann Single Viking Boots that I like very much, but I must note that his prices have gone up lately and are not as much a bargain as they once were.

http://www.armlann.com/boots.htm

Hugh
Still trying to walk in the Light
Please see 1 John 1:5

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > MRL Medieval Footwear
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic