Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Weapons and Armour of the Alammani? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Author Message
Jake Clodfelter





Joined: 10 Feb 2007

Posts: 2

PostPosted: Sun 11 Feb, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Weapons and Armour of the Alammani?         Reply with quote

I am looking for some things about the Alammani tribes, that latter became northern Switzerland, and southern Germany. Kinda curious on whether throw weapons were used much., what were their swords like?

I have traced my heritage through Switzerland and the Alammani, and I would like to learn western style fencing. Sorry, for all the questions but I have a huge intrest in learning the aspects, of my past I guess.

Thanks for any help.
View user's profile Send private message
Mike Arledge




Location: Indianapolis, IN
Joined: 05 Feb 2006
Reading list: 8 books

Posts: 434

PostPosted: Sun 11 Feb, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't have too much specifically about the Alammani, but they were likely to have armour/weapons similar to the other Germanic tribes like the Franks. You might have some luck looking up there weapons/armour, as they kinda became the victor in that area.
Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Wolfgang Armbruster





Joined: 03 Apr 2005

Posts: 322

PostPosted: Sun 11 Feb, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry for the nitpicking, but the guys are called "Allamanni", or "Allemannen" meaning simply all men. Happy
Concerning their weapons: the usual Spathas and sax-knifes. The fencing techniques of this time have not survived meaning they were not recorded.
View user's profile Send private message
Victor Crowne





Joined: 22 Nov 2006

Posts: 23

PostPosted: Mon 12 Feb, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wolfgang Armbruster wrote:
Sorry for the nitpicking, but the guys are called "Allamanni", or "Allemannen" meaning simply all men. Happy
Concerning their weapons: the usual Spathas and sax-knifes. The fencing techniques of this time have not survived meaning they were not recorded.


Alamanni is the most commonly accepted spelling in English. Allemanni or Alemanni are also, but less commonly, used.
View user's profile
Jean Thibodeau




Location: Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Likes: 50 pages
Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5
Posts: 8,170

PostPosted: Mon 12 Feb, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Victor Crowne wrote:
Wolfgang Armbruster wrote:
Sorry for the nitpicking, but the guys are called "Allamanni", or "Allemannen" meaning simply all men. Happy
Concerning their weapons: the usual Spathas and sax-knifes. The fencing techniques of this time have not survived meaning they were not recorded.


Alamanni is the most commonly accepted spelling in English. Allemanni or Alemanni are also, but less commonly, used.


In French Allemand is the word for German by the way: So at least in French the whole German people are named after this specific Germanic tribe ! No idea why. Eek! Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
View user's profile Send private message
Norlyn C




Location: Virginia
Joined: 20 Feb 2007

Posts: 11

PostPosted: Wed 28 Feb, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Alamanni Information...Check out this website.....         Reply with quote

I think you will find plenty of interesting information here:

http://www.nordicus.ch/nordicusprojects.html

The above website is all about the Alamanni and their "kit" so to speak.


Additonally, for a written reference pick yourself up a copy of the Osprey book , Germanic Warrior 236-568AD. They have a full color plate devoted to the Alamanni. Some nice pics on Swords, Shield and Axe. Well worth the money.

Sincerely,

Norlyn

-Direct decendant of Mustered Swiss Pikeman from Münsingen, canton of Berne during the 16th century.
View user's profile Send private message
Peter Bosman




Location: Andalucia
Joined: 22 May 2006

Posts: 598

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
In French Allemand is the word for German by the way: So at least in French the whole German people are named after this specific Germanic tribe ! No idea why. Eek! Laughing Out Loud


Spanish = Alemán, plural Alemánes


Peter
View user's profile


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Weapons and Armour of the Alammani?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic
All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum






All contents © Copyright 2003-2018 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum