Weapons and Armour of the Alammani?
I am looking for some things about the Alammani tribes, that latter became northern Switzerland, and southern Germany. Kinda curious on whether throw weapons were used much., what were their swords like?

I have traced my heritage through Switzerland and the Alammani, and I would like to learn western style fencing. Sorry, for all the questions but I have a huge intrest in learning the aspects, of my past I guess.

Thanks for any help.
I don't have too much specifically about the Alammani, but they were likely to have armour/weapons similar to the other Germanic tribes like the Franks. You might have some luck looking up there weapons/armour, as they kinda became the victor in that area.
Sorry for the nitpicking, but the guys are called "Allamanni", or "Allemannen" meaning simply all men. :)
Concerning their weapons: the usual Spathas and sax-knifes. The fencing techniques of this time have not survived meaning they were not recorded.
Wolfgang Armbruster wrote:
Sorry for the nitpicking, but the guys are called "Allamanni", or "Allemannen" meaning simply all men. :)
Concerning their weapons: the usual Spathas and sax-knifes. The fencing techniques of this time have not survived meaning they were not recorded.

Alamanni is the most commonly accepted spelling in English. Allemanni or Alemanni are also, but less commonly, used.
Victor Crowne wrote:
Wolfgang Armbruster wrote:

Alamanni is the most commonly accepted spelling in English. Allemanni or Alemanni are also, but less commonly, used.

In French Allemand is the word for German by the way: So at least in French the whole German people are named after this specific Germanic tribe ! No idea why. :eek: :lol:
Alamanni Information...Check out this website.....
I think you will find plenty of interesting information here:

http://www.nordicus.ch/nordicusprojects.html

The above website is all about the Alamanni and their "kit" so to speak.

Additonally, for a written reference pick yourself up a copy of the Osprey book , Germanic Warrior 236-568AD. They have a full color plate devoted to the Alamanni. Some nice pics on Swords, Shield and Axe. Well worth the money.

Sincerely,

Norlyn
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
In French Allemand is the word for German by the way: So at least in French the whole German people are named after this specific Germanic tribe ! No idea why. :eek: :lol:

Spanish = Alemán, plural Alemánes

Peter

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: