Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Eating knife and pricker questions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Author Message
Jeffrey Faulk




Location: Georgia
Joined: 01 Jan 2011

Posts: 578

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Eating knife and pricker questions         Reply with quote

Hello,

I've been working on making a small eating-knife by converting an older blade I had.

I've noticed in my research that the eating-knife frequently comes with a 'pricker', an iron awl-like implement.

What, in particular, is the use of this pricker? I've not been able to find out much about it, only that it might have been used to hold down food while cutting it. Doesn't seem practical-- wouldn't it go through? A fork doesn't because it has multiple tines, thus spreading out the force of a person's hand, but a pricker is only the one point...

Also, what would the proper etiquette be of using an eating-knife? Do you bring food to your mouth with it, or do you do that with your fingers or the pricker?

Were the scabbards for eating-knives generally wood cored or were they simple formed leather? How was the pricker included-- a separate pouch on the scabbard, or did it nest with the eating-knife, or what?

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team


myArmoury Team

Location: Cincinnati, OH
Joined: 18 Aug 2003
Likes: 21 pages
Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15
Posts: 9,134

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Check out this thread: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=17447 . The theory in it is that prickers could have been sharpening steels.

Scabbards for most eating knives seems to have been just of leather (unless you're talking about later, fancy sets like the trousse), often 2 layers. By-knives and prickers usually have their own pouch, and that pouch is often (usually?) sewn in between the layers of the main knife scabbard.

I have no idea on their use. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jeffrey Faulk




Location: Georgia
Joined: 01 Jan 2011

Posts: 578

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You mention by-knives; would there have been more than one eating-knife, or would the by-knife have been more just a general-use blade rather than specifically for eating?

Sometimes I wonder just how many knives the average medieval guy would've been packing on his person! :P
View user's profile Send private message
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team


myArmoury Team

Location: Cincinnati, OH
Joined: 18 Aug 2003
Likes: 21 pages
Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15
Posts: 9,134

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeffrey Faulk wrote:
You mention by-knives; would there have been more than one eating-knife, or would the by-knife have been more just a general-use blade rather than specifically for eating?

Sometimes I wonder just how many knives the average medieval guy would've been packing on his person! :P


By-knives would be more likely to be seen when paired with a big (and therefore likely non-eating) knife. Do you have the book Knives and Scabbards? It's a great resource on the topic.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jeffrey Faulk




Location: Georgia
Joined: 01 Jan 2011

Posts: 578

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Jeffrey Faulk wrote:
You mention by-knives; would there have been more than one eating-knife, or would the by-knife have been more just a general-use blade rather than specifically for eating?

Sometimes I wonder just how many knives the average medieval guy would've been packing on his person! :P


By-knives would be more likely to be seen when paired with a big (and therefore likely non-eating) knife. Do you have the book Knives and Scabbards? It's a great resource on the topic.


Unfortunately no, but I suppose that might have to go on the list! Who would the author be so I can find the specific volume?

Thanks for your help; anybody else have ideas, experience, etc to share? Have any of you re-enactor types out there actually used these sets to eat with?
View user's profile Send private message
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin


myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeffrey Faulk wrote:
Unfortunately no, but I suppose that might have to go on the list! Who would the author be so I can find the specific volume?


He gave you a link to the actual book above.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Jeffrey Faulk




Location: Georgia
Joined: 01 Jan 2011

Posts: 578

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Jeffrey Faulk wrote:
Unfortunately no, but I suppose that might have to go on the list! Who would the author be so I can find the specific volume?


He gave you a link to the actual book above.


Wouldn't you know it; some days I'm just plain blind, it seems. Thanks for the heads-up.
View user's profile Send private message
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin


myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeffrey Faulk wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Jeffrey Faulk wrote:
Unfortunately no, but I suppose that might have to go on the list! Who would the author be so I can find the specific volume?


He gave you a link to the actual book above.


Wouldn't you know it; some days I'm just plain blind, it seems. Thanks for the heads-up.


It's a great book, by the way, and the other books in the series are just as awesome.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Sean Flynt
myArmoury Team


myArmoury Team

Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Joined: 21 Aug 2003
Likes: 10 pages
Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7
Posts: 5,900

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Agree that KAS is a must-have book. FYI: The Museum of London site mentions that they're finishing a book on their knife/dagger collection in conjunction with Royal Armouries. Big Grin
-Sean

"Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere found it, except in a corner with a book"- Thomas a Kempis (d. 1471)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Eating knife and pricker questions
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic
All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum






All contents © Copyright 2003-2018 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum