Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Eating knife and pricker questions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Eating knife and pricker questions         Reply with quote

Hello,

I've been working on making a small eating-knife by converting an older blade I had.

I've noticed in my research that the eating-knife frequently comes with a 'pricker', an iron awl-like implement.

What, in particular, is the use of this pricker? I've not been able to find out much about it, only that it might have been used to hold down food while cutting it. Doesn't seem practical-- wouldn't it go through? A fork doesn't because it has multiple tines, thus spreading out the force of a person's hand, but a pricker is only the one point...

Also, what would the proper etiquette be of using an eating-knife? Do you bring food to your mouth with it, or do you do that with your fingers or the pricker?

Were the scabbards for eating-knives generally wood cored or were they simple formed leather? How was the pricker included-- a separate pouch on the scabbard, or did it nest with the eating-knife, or what?

Thanks!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Check out this thread: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=17447 . The theory in it is that prickers could have been sharpening steels.

Scabbards for most eating knives seems to have been just of leather (unless you're talking about later, fancy sets like the trousse), often 2 layers. By-knives and prickers usually have their own pouch, and that pouch is often (usually?) sewn in between the layers of the main knife scabbard.

I have no idea on their use. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You mention by-knives; would there have been more than one eating-knife, or would the by-knife have been more just a general-use blade rather than specifically for eating?

Sometimes I wonder just how many knives the average medieval guy would've been packing on his person! :P
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeffrey Faulk wrote:
You mention by-knives; would there have been more than one eating-knife, or would the by-knife have been more just a general-use blade rather than specifically for eating?

Sometimes I wonder just how many knives the average medieval guy would've been packing on his person! :P

By-knives would be more likely to be seen when paired with a big (and therefore likely non-eating) knife. Do you have the book Knives and Scabbards? It's a great resource on the topic.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Jeffrey Faulk wrote:

By-knives would be more likely to be seen when paired with a big (and therefore likely non-eating) knife. Do you have the book Knives and Scabbards? It's a great resource on the topic.

Unfortunately no, but I suppose that might have to go on the list! Who would the author be so I can find the specific volume?

Thanks for your help; anybody else have ideas, experience, etc to share? Have any of you re-enactor types out there actually used these sets to eat with?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeffrey Faulk wrote:
Unfortunately no, but I suppose that might have to go on the list! Who would the author be so I can find the specific volume?

He gave you a link to the actual book above.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Jeffrey Faulk wrote:

Wouldn't you know it; some days I'm just plain blind, it seems. Thanks for the heads-up.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeffrey Faulk wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Jeffrey Faulk wrote:

Wouldn't you know it; some days I'm just plain blind, it seems. Thanks for the heads-up.

It's a great book, by the way, and the other books in the series are just as awesome.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Agree that KAS is a must-have book. FYI: The Museum of London site mentions that they're finishing a book on their knife/dagger collection in conjunction with Royal Armouries. Big Grin
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Eating knife and pricker questions
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic