Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Three Kingdoms (China) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Author Message
Kevin G. Murtagh




Location: Ireland
Joined: 06 May 2009

Posts: 3

PostPosted: Wed 06 May, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Three Kingdoms (China)         Reply with quote

Anyone interested in the Three Kingdoms era of Chinese History?
View user's profile Send private message
Bennison N




Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Likes: 1 page

Posts: 416

PostPosted: Thu 07 May, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, I am. A really interesting time...
"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
View user's profile Send private message
Randall Moffett




Location: Northern Utah
Joined: 07 Jun 2006
Reading list: 5 books

Posts: 2,098

PostPosted: Thu 07 May, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am as well but I have only a general understanding of the era. Why do you ask?

RPM
View user's profile Send private message
Julien M




Location: London
Joined: 14 Sep 2005

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 1,061

PostPosted: Thu 07 May, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well this has to be the most famous period in chinese history judging by the exposure it gets in chinese movie epics. "The emperor and the assassin", "hero" to name only those two always use this specific historical background.
View user's profile Send private message
Kevin G. Murtagh




Location: Ireland
Joined: 06 May 2009

Posts: 3

PostPosted: Thu 07 May, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

just wondering seems as I'm the only one at my school who has heard of it (unfortunately) I just always found the tactics and weaponry used more interesting than anything in medieval Europe.
View user's profile Send private message
Emmet J. McGauran




Location: North West UK
Joined: 14 Jan 2008

Posts: 35

PostPosted: Thu 07 May, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I became quite interested in this when I was younger due to the 'Dynasty Warriors' games on the Playstation which are based (loosely) on 'The Romance of the Three Kingdoms.'

John Woo has actually just made a movie called 'Red Cliff' about one of the major battles of the time. The production looks good, so it will be interesting to see the arms and armour they use.
View user's profile Send private message
Bennison N




Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Likes: 1 page

Posts: 416

PostPosted: Thu 07 May, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien M wrote:
Well this has to be the most famous period in chinese history judging by the exposure it gets in chinese movie epics. "The emperor and the assassin", "hero" to name only those two always use this specific historical background.


Julien, the period you're thinking of is Qin (Chin) Dynasty, not 3 Kingdoms Era. This time is so popular because China takes it's name from this period (Chin-na), language (written AND spoken) was standardised, money too. The Emperor of this time, Qin Shihuangdi, had the Terracotta Army made to protect his dead body.

The Three Kingdoms Period is a little later, and led to the Han Dynasty, "The Golden Age of Poetry". I love the stories of this time... Liu Bei's Generals in particular, their weapons too.

I studied this time in some depth a few years ago. What did you want to know about it?

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
View user's profile Send private message
Li Jin




Location: NYC
Joined: 21 Feb 2008

Posts: 46

PostPosted: Fri 08 May, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Liu Bei is the heir of Imperial family. People usually thinks that he is a Wei Jun Zi in English it means Hypocrite. Liu Bei gone through a difficult time, hes son Liu Chan is something we called The one who cannot be lifted. Meaning no matter how you teach he just won't get it right.

many tins happened during that time quite interesting. But todays novel we read about is a Romance. So it migh not be the truth.
View user's profile Send private message
Kevin G. Murtagh




Location: Ireland
Joined: 06 May 2009

Posts: 3

PostPosted: Fri 08 May, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah i got into it through Dynasty Warriors too, which led to a history project for school and I was hooked from there Happy
View user's profile Send private message
Lafayette C Curtis




Location: Indonesia
Joined: 29 Nov 2006
Reading list: 7 books

Posts: 2,689

PostPosted: Sat 09 May, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bennison N wrote:
The Three Kingdoms Period is a little later, and led to the Han Dynasty, "The Golden Age of Poetry". I love the stories of this time... Liu Bei's Generals in particular, their weapons too.


Um...the Three Kingdoms period was the time of the decline and fall of the Han Dynasty, not its rise.

Personally, I find this period a bit overdone (or maybe that's just me having read too many Chinese epics and watched too many Chinese movies), and I'm rather more interested in the Tang Dynasty and the last century-and-a-half of the Ming Dynasty before its fall to Manchu invaders. Even when it comes to the Sanguo states themselves, I must say I'm not too impressed by the characters and institutions of the Shu state (with the sole exception of Zhuge Liang); instead, the ones who piqued my interest were the more ambiguous characters at and around the head of the Wei state, especially the good old devil Cao Cao himself.
View user's profile Send private message
Bennison N




Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Likes: 1 page

Posts: 416

PostPosted: Sat 09 May, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Haha! You're right! I hadn't noticed that...

It should have said "The Three Kingdoms Period is a little later, and led to the END OF THE Han Dynasty, "The Golden Age of Poetry". I love the stories of this time... Liu Bei's Generals in particular, their weapons too."

Thanks for noticing that, mate.

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
View user's profile Send private message
M. Eversberg II




Location: California, Maryland, USA
Joined: 07 Sep 2006
Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 1,435

PostPosted: Sun 10 May, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Never been much of an Eastern history person (which is probably not good), but this period sounds rather interesting.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
J Anstey





Joined: 21 Jul 2007

Posts: 233

PostPosted: Sun 10 May, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
Bennison N wrote:
The Three Kingdoms Period is a little later, and led to the Han Dynasty, "The Golden Age of Poetry". I love the stories of this time... Liu Bei's Generals in particular, their weapons too.


Um...the Three Kingdoms period was the time of the decline and fall of the Han Dynasty, not its rise.

Personally, I find this period a bit overdone (or maybe that's just me having read too many Chinese epics and watched too many Chinese movies), and I'm rather more interested in the Tang Dynasty and the last century-and-a-half of the Ming Dynasty before its fall to Manchu invaders. Even when it comes to the Sanguo states themselves, I must say I'm not too impressed by the characters and institutions of the Shu state (with the sole exception of Zhuge Liang); instead, the ones who piqued my interest were the more ambiguous characters at and around the head of the Wei state, especially the good old devil Cao Cao himself.


Hi Lafayette et al

I currently have a Tang Jian sword being made for me by one of the few sword smiths in China making authentic Chinese swords.

THis guy starts by smelting his own steel from Iron rich river sand!!! I hope to share some pics when I get a chance.

Cheers

Jason
View user's profile Send private message


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Three Kingdoms (China)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic
All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum






All contents © Copyright 2003-2018 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum