Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass Great Ouse River Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Author Message
Craig L.




PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Windlass Great Ouse River Sword         Reply with quote

Has anyone dry-handled or cut with a Windlass / MRL Great Ouse River Sword? Comments on any of the following would be greatly appreciated:
- handling
- suitability for light-to-medium cutting exercises (up to, say, single or double roll tatami, or tatami with dowel core)
- durability
- suitability for use in German longsword techniques
- historical accuracy

Thanks very much,
Craig

View user's profile Send private message
Luka Borscak




Location: Croatia
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Likes: 7 pages

Posts: 2,264

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm also interested in this sword. I love such simple end elegant longswords, especially type XVII. This one should be XVII, right?
View user's profile Send private message
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin


myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
I'm also interested in this sword. I love such simple end elegant longswords, especially type XVII. This one should be XVII, right?


It doesn't look like it has the hexagonal cross-section of a Type XVII. Looks like a diamond to me. Hard to tell, though.



 Attachment: 55.89 KB
Photo from Kult of Athena [ Download ]

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team


myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It does look like MRL's standard diamond section with a fuller ground in. Not a bad looking sword, but missing a little something because of the blade
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Luka Borscak




Location: Croatia
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Likes: 7 pages

Posts: 2,264

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah, shame. The original is really nice XVII and this would be the first XVII sword in this price range I know of.
View user's profile Send private message
Brad Harada




PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This might make a nice "DIY" project - a bit of time, patience, files and sandpaper could create the proper hexagonal cross section! (A good candidate for a grip/hilt redo as well?) Wink
View user's profile Send private message
Luka Borscak




Location: Croatia
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Likes: 7 pages

Posts: 2,264

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's a Windlass, the blade is too thin to file it down even more. I think. Happy
View user's profile Send private message
Eric W. Norenberg





Joined: 18 Jul 2008

Posts: 267

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all,

I, too, am curious about this one... I just wish Windlass would use a little more discretion when slapping typology labels on their products. They got the profile right, it seems, but I'll agree, that's not a type XVII cross section. I would be cautious about re-shaping the cross section on this one, 'tho, because Windlass seems to usually start with 3/16" stock - which means, when they mill that fuller into a diamond cross section, the blade is already marginally less than 3/16". Any attempt at grinding this one into a hex might leave you with a very floppy blade, right at the area where need it least. Maybe better to just consider it a fullered XVA, or a slim XVI. Reshape that grip core a bit and you're ready for the late 14th century!

By the way, foranyone who hasn't found them, have a look at this website:

http://www.superiorswords.co.nz/webapps/site/...upid=14507

Their photography of certain Windlass products puts most other sites to shame. The sword in question isn't listed yet, but give them time. Gives one a better idea of the potential of a given item, 'tho... Windlass appears to be peening a lot of tangs lately.
View user's profile Send private message
Josh MacNeil




Location: Massachusetts, USA
Joined: 23 Jul 2008

Posts: 197

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, Eric. Thanks for mentioning that site. I find that the photography of a lot of Windlass swords leaves one with a lot of questions about some of their more subtle details. This site really gives you a good look at the sword before you buy.

In response to this particular sword, it caught my eye immediately when I first saw it in the MRL catalog. The cross is a bit blocky and boring for my taste, but true to the original. Something would have to be done about that grip though, IMHO. If they don't discontinue this one within the next ten minutes like they seem seem to enjoy doing, I think it would be a great project piece. With a little work it could be turned into something very special.

-JM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team


myArmoury Team

Location: Alexandria, VA USA
Joined: 25 Aug 2003
Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2
Posts: 4,153

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Windlass Great Ouse River Sword         Reply with quote

Craig L. wrote:
- suitability for use in German longsword techniques


I haven't handled the sword in question. But if its large enough for two hands but possible to use with one if necessary, then its suitable for German longsword techniques. Happy

Virginia Academy of Fencing Historical Swordsmanship
--German Longsword & Italian Rapier in the DC Area--


"A despondent heart will always be defeated regardless of skill."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Craig L.




PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric W. Norenberg wrote:
Hello all,
By the way, foranyone who hasn't found them, have a look at this website:

http://www.superiorswords.co.nz/webapps/site/...upid=14507

Their photography of certain Windlass products puts most other sites to shame. The sword in question isn't listed yet, but give them time. Gives one a better idea of the potential of a given item, 'tho... Windlass appears to be peening a lot of tangs lately.


Another site I've found to be very helpful, photo-wise, is http://www.schwertshop.de. It's probably easiest to start navigating from here, because the site is in German. The photos are excellent, however, and really help in the decision-making stage.

Hope this helps,
Craig
View user's profile Send private message
Craig L.




PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Windlass Great Ouse River Sword         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
if its large enough for two hands but possible to use with one if necessary, then its suitable for German longsword techniques. Happy


Ahhh... a rule of thumb that is beautiful in its simplicity!


Last edited by Craig L. on Tue 10 Feb, 2009 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message
Craig L.




PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeez, I wish I lived just up the street from KoA... I really want to put this sword through its paces! Closest Windlass retailer is over 8 hours away, though... Sad

Has anyone figured out how to convince their wife to move "just 'cause?" Wink
View user's profile Send private message
Craig L.




PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm a total newbie, so I just have to ask... would a guard of this size get in the way during any German longsword techniques, e.g. maybe Ochs, or some of the winding techniques?
View user's profile Send private message
Nat Lamb




Location: Melbourne, Australia
Joined: 15 Jan 2009
Likes: 1 page

Posts: 385

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Windlass Great Ouse River Sword         Reply with quote

Craig L. wrote:
Bill Grandy wrote:
if its large enough for two hands but possible to use with one if necessary, then its suitable for German longsword techniques. Happy


Ahhh... a rule of thumb that is beautiful in its simplicity!


Well, the origional "Rule of thumb" was pretty ssimple too... not sure if that one would be considered "beautiful" though Worried
View user's profile Send private message
Craig L.




PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Windlass Great Ouse River Sword         Reply with quote

Nat Lamb wrote:
Well, the origional "Rule of thumb" was pretty ssimple too... not sure if that one would be considered "beautiful" though Worried

Yeah... pretty hard to believe, coming from a 21st-C perspective.
View user's profile Send private message
M. Eversberg II




Location: California, Maryland, USA
Joined: 07 Sep 2006
Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 1,435

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Windlass Great Ouse River Sword         Reply with quote

Craig L. wrote:
Nat Lamb wrote:
Well, the origional "Rule of thumb" was pretty ssimple too... not sure if that one would be considered "beautiful" though Worried

Yeah... pretty hard to believe, coming from a 21st-C perspective.


Because it's a myth.
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/rule-of-thumb.html

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nat Lamb




Location: Melbourne, Australia
Joined: 15 Jan 2009
Likes: 1 page

Posts: 385

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Windlass Great Ouse River Sword         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:
Craig L. wrote:
Nat Lamb wrote:
Well, the origional "Rule of thumb" was pretty ssimple too... not sure if that one would be considered "beautiful" though Worried

Yeah... pretty hard to believe, coming from a 21st-C perspective.


Because it's a myth.
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/rule-of-thumb.html

M.

Oh, cool. Thanks for the link, it's alays nice to improve one's knowledge Big Grin
View user's profile Send private message
M. Eversberg II




Location: California, Maryland, USA
Joined: 07 Sep 2006
Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 1,435

PostPosted: Thu 12 Feb, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Windlass Great Ouse River Sword         Reply with quote

Nat Lamb wrote:
M. Eversberg II wrote:
Craig L. wrote:
Nat Lamb wrote:
Well, the origional "Rule of thumb" was pretty ssimple too... not sure if that one would be considered "beautiful" though Worried

Yeah... pretty hard to believe, coming from a 21st-C perspective.


Because it's a myth.
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/rule-of-thumb.html

M.

Oh, cool. Thanks for the link, it's alays nice to improve one's knowledge Big Grin


It's why most of us are here Razz

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass Great Ouse River Sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic
All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum






All contents © Copyright 2003-2020 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum