Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass Great Ouse River Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Craig L.

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Windlass Great Ouse River Sword         Reply with quote

Has anyone dry-handled or cut with a Windlass / MRL Great Ouse River Sword? Comments on any of the following would be greatly appreciated:
- handling
- suitability for light-to-medium cutting exercises (up to, say, single or double roll tatami, or tatami with dowel core)
- durability
- suitability for use in German longsword techniques
- historical accuracy

Thanks very much,
Craig

Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm also interested in this sword. I love such simple end elegant longswords, especially type XVII. This one should be XVII, right?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
I'm also interested in this sword. I love such simple end elegant longswords, especially type XVII. This one should be XVII, right?

It doesn't look like it has the hexagonal cross-section of a Type XVII. Looks like a diamond to me. Hard to tell, though.

Attachment: 55.89 KB
Photo from Kult of Athena [ Download ]

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It does look like MRL's standard diamond section with a fuller ground in. Not a bad looking sword, but missing a little something because of the blade
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah, shame. The original is really nice XVII and this would be the first XVII sword in this price range I know of.
Brad Harada

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This might make a nice "DIY" project - a bit of time, patience, files and sandpaper could create the proper hexagonal cross section! (A good candidate for a grip/hilt redo as well?) Wink
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's a Windlass, the blade is too thin to file it down even more. I think. Happy
Eric W. Norenberg

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all,

I, too, am curious about this one... I just wish Windlass would use a little more discretion when slapping typology labels on their products. They got the profile right, it seems, but I'll agree, that's not a type XVII cross section. I would be cautious about re-shaping the cross section on this one, 'tho, because Windlass seems to usually start with 3/16" stock - which means, when they mill that fuller into a diamond cross section, the blade is already marginally less than 3/16". Any attempt at grinding this one into a hex might leave you with a very floppy blade, right at the area where need it least. Maybe better to just consider it a fullered XVA, or a slim XVI. Reshape that grip core a bit and you're ready for the late 14th century!

By the way, foranyone who hasn't found them, have a look at this website:

http://www.superiorswords.co.nz/webapps/site/...upid=14507

Their photography of certain Windlass products puts most other sites to shame. The sword in question isn't listed yet, but give them time. Gives one a better idea of the potential of a given item, 'tho... Windlass appears to be peening a lot of tangs lately.
Josh MacNeil

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, Eric. Thanks for mentioning that site. I find that the photography of a lot of Windlass swords leaves one with a lot of questions about some of their more subtle details. This site really gives you a good look at the sword before you buy.

In response to this particular sword, it caught my eye immediately when I first saw it in the MRL catalog. The cross is a bit blocky and boring for my taste, but true to the original. Something would have to be done about that grip though, IMHO. If they don't discontinue this one within the next ten minutes like they seem seem to enjoy doing, I think it would be a great project piece. With a little work it could be turned into something very special.

-JM
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Windlass Great Ouse River Sword         Reply with quote

Craig L. wrote:
- suitability for use in German longsword techniques

I haven't handled the sword in question. But if its large enough for two hands but possible to use with one if necessary, then its suitable for German longsword techniques. Happy

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Craig L.

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric W. Norenberg wrote:
Hello all,
By the way, foranyone who hasn't found them, have a look at this website:

http://www.superiorswords.co.nz/webapps/site/...upid=14507

Their photography of certain Windlass products puts most other sites to shame. The sword in question isn't listed yet, but give them time. Gives one a better idea of the potential of a given item, 'tho... Windlass appears to be peening a lot of tangs lately.

Another site I've found to be very helpful, photo-wise, is http://www.schwertshop.de. It's probably easiest to start navigating from here, because the site is in German. The photos are excellent, however, and really help in the decision-making stage.

Hope this helps,
Craig
Craig L.

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Windlass Great Ouse River Sword         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
if its large enough for two hands but possible to use with one if necessary, then its suitable for German longsword techniques. Happy

Ahhh... a rule of thumb that is beautiful in its simplicity!

Last edited by Craig L. on Tue 10 Feb, 2009 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Craig L.

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeez, I wish I lived just up the street from KoA... I really want to put this sword through its paces! Closest Windlass retailer is over 8 hours away, though... Sad

Has anyone figured out how to convince their wife to move "just 'cause?" Wink
Craig L.

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm a total newbie, so I just have to ask... would a guard of this size get in the way during any German longsword techniques, e.g. maybe Ochs, or some of the winding techniques?
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Windlass Great Ouse River Sword         Reply with quote

Craig L. wrote:
Bill Grandy wrote:
if its large enough for two hands but possible to use with one if necessary, then its suitable for German longsword techniques. Happy

Ahhh... a rule of thumb that is beautiful in its simplicity!

Well, the origional "Rule of thumb" was pretty ssimple too... not sure if that one would be considered "beautiful" though Worried
Craig L.

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Windlass Great Ouse River Sword         Reply with quote

Nat Lamb wrote:
Well, the origional "Rule of thumb" was pretty ssimple too... not sure if that one would be considered "beautiful" though Worried

Yeah... pretty hard to believe, coming from a 21st-C perspective.
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Windlass Great Ouse River Sword         Reply with quote

Craig L. wrote:
Nat Lamb wrote:

Because it's a myth.
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/rule-of-thumb.html

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Windlass Great Ouse River Sword         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:
Craig L. wrote:
Nat Lamb wrote:

Because it's a myth.

M.

Oh, cool. Thanks for the link, it's alays nice to improve one's knowledge Big Grin
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 12 Feb, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Windlass Great Ouse River Sword         Reply with quote

Nat Lamb wrote:
M. Eversberg II wrote:
Craig L. wrote:
Nat Lamb wrote:

Because it's a myth.

M.

Oh, cool. Thanks for the link, it's alays nice to improve one's knowledge Big Grin

It's why most of us are here Razz

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass Great Ouse River Sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic