Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Agincourt Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Albion Agincourt         Reply with quote

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone had the Albion Agincourt.
if you do can you tell me how you like it and post some pics.
I would really love to see one with a black handle.
thanks. Big Grin

..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
David Lannon

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: re. agincourt         Reply with quote

I have the agincourt and I love it. I was a little leery about it, as I don't like thrusting blades as a rule (I like the much more manly cutting swords) Big Grin I was pleasantly supprised when I got it that I really liked it. The point tracks very smoothly and it thrusts efortlessly. It also cuts supprisingly well. I cut most of the way through the cardboard box it came in and (if I do my part) it will cut 2 litre bottles. This depends greatly on technique however (and mine is sorely lacking).

I don't have any pics of it yet , but mine is identicle to the one on Albion's sight.

Hope this helps

Dave

Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun!!!!
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Joel as it happen you are in luck I currently have an Agincourt in my possession. What was it that you wanted to know. It's a neat little sword but I stress that it is a little sword. To my mind it is far better described as a light riding type sword rather then a warsword. It's a totally different beast then Arms and Armor's Black Prince. Unless you want to see something specific I'll forgo posting pictures as it is basically identical to the one on Albion's site. I will do a full review that you will be able to read on this forum shortly. In the meantime is there anything specific that you wish to know?
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Gabriel Stevens

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Russ have you handled both the Agincourt and the BP? I know they have the same blade length but would you consider the BP a little sword? And even with the POB at 2" does the BP cut better being quite a bit heavier? I've had my eye on both of these swords for a while now.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriel Stevens wrote:
Hey Russ have you handled both the Agincourt and the BP? I know they have the same blade length but would you consider the BP a little sword? And even with the POB at 2" does the BP cut better being quite a bit heavier? I've had my eye on both of these swords for a while now.

Like Russ said, they're really not even close to being the same sword. They're both pointy, but that's about it Happy

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

its a beauty....I have big hands so the handle seemed a little small for me but as much play time as I have on this sword it does feel good, now I think my larger gripped swords are well too large *g*....A light flexable blade nice even satin finish and sharp......very pleased with this purchase...this is one of the few pics that survived my XP install, so when I update I'll have some better ones up..the blade on this one came out too white but the hilt is right on in color
Gabriel Stevens

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was just wondering if the BP ended up being the better cutter of the two even with the COP closer to the guard.
Gary Venable

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would agree, I love my Agin. I tend tword the type XII and XIII (as Patrick would say "Man Swords") in my collection but I have really enjoyed this one. I would highly recomend it.

Attachment: 44.59 KB
2swords.jpg

Gary
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Gabriel,

Yes I did a scabbard for Steve's Black Prince (older version) sometime back. The Agincourt is in my safe now. I would not consider the Black Prince a small sword. It has some serious presence to it and I can easily see it being used in battle in either a one or two handed manner. It is really a XVa. I tend to think of the Agincourt to be more truly a XV although I guess you could use it two handed there is little likelihood that you would ever need to. The BP is heavier and more stout, I think it would do better against hard targets although I have no concrete evidence of this since I have not cut with either sword. The XV was designed to deal with armor and I can see the BP doing just that. The Agincourt is a lighter daintier more finesse oriented piece. I don't see it as a battle sword but rather as something a nobleman would be wearing around town or out discussing crops with the village headman. It's a vicious quick little thing and I think it would make short work of light targets although again I have no proof one way or the other.

Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriel Stevens wrote:
I was just wondering if the BP ended up being the better cutter of the two even with the COP closer to the guard.

Gabriel,

By the stats that Nathan listed, I would guess that the Agincourt would be the better cutter of the two with the COP being further out (or mostly due to the POB difference? One would certainly affect the other), it would have more blade presence. I've done some light cutting (milk jugs) with the BP and while it will get the job done, it is more suited to poking holes in things. Despite the weight difference, with the closer POB, the BP should more responsive to directional changes--I think of it as being more like a "heavy" rapier with a medieval attitude. Big Grin

By the way Russ, mine was one of the first "new" versions! I certainly lucked into that one! Wink

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey guys thanks for the replies.
Russ, i'm not sure i really had anything specific in mind, just some al around knowledge and opinions. Thank you for the review, i can't wait. Big Grin
All of you guys have really pretty Agincourts. I am impressed.
Anyway, all i have heard about so far are cutting tests on bottle and jugs, andy one tried anything more substantial?
I realize the shape of the blade would make it a little difficult if not impossible to cut plyboard or anything.
Any tests are rolled matts or pool noodles?
thanks for the replies all, they are greatly appreciated. Big Grin

..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 07 Feb, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Steve, I did not realize that the one you had was one of the first of the new ones. Very cool to know. As for the Agincourt being a better cutter I'm not so sure. What target media are we talking here? A metal helmet... <grins and ducks> Happy Seriously though I think that the target media would make all the difference. That Agincourt is just to light (in my opinion) to go after really heavy targets.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My 2 cents:

This thread has spent a lot of time debating the cutting ability of swords designed to thrust. Type XV's are pure thrusters, unlike the cut and thrust types (XIV, XVI, XVIII, etc).

These swords would obviously need to cut in emergencies, but I wouldn't expect either sword to be a terribly good cutter against any medium. I would think the narrow width of the blades at the COP, the stiffness of the blade, and it's thickness would make them pretty poor at cutting. The DT2150 in my collection is a Type XV, and I wouldn't try to cut anything with it on purpose. Happy It's width at the COP is not quite 1 1/8".

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own an A&A bp and a sword that specs close to the Agincourt. The smaller sword does ok on light targets but I have yet to get through a mat with it (pretty close and it may just be a matter of more practice). I am able to do my rising cuts through empty cracker boxes with it. There are probably a lot of subtleties that would make the Agincourt a better cutter than this sword.

I have to disagree that all XVs and XVas are all thrust and no cut. While not a pure estoc, they do tend to be more of a can opener than a cabbage cutter.

That said, my A&A BP has cut full mats and, if you think inside the perceived cop, is quite capable of strong shearing cuts. Choke up and half sword for the poke. Come way back on the pommel with a one or two handed grip for cleaving.

Cheers

GC

It is unfair to compare the A&A to the Albion sword. I'll bet the Agincourt does bottles and mats just fine.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
I have to disagree that all XVs and XVas are all thrust and no cut.

XV's will occasionally have to cut, like I said above, and they should be able to do it without falling apart. But I feel the cutting ability of this type is secondary to its primary purpose, which is thrusting.

I would think the blade's width at the COP would make it a poor cutter, since they taper so much. I wonder what the average blade width at the COP is for this type. I know mine is pretty narrow. I might guess that the BP would be a more effective cutter since it's closer COP may mean that it is broader at the COP.

Now if one type XV outcuts another, I see that as a bonus and something that might make it more desirable than another example (assuming the cutting ability doesn't detract from its thrusting ability) . It's kinda like figuring a Lamborghini hauls more groceries than a Ferrari. That's not why I'd buy one, but it would help me feel good about having it. Happy

Let me point out that these are only my opinions, based solely on limited experience with a Type XV or two, and my own guesses.

Happy

ChadA

Gabriel Stevens

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Russ thanks for your thoughts on those two swords.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I certainly agree with Chad that the XV and XVa is more thrust oriented then cut oriented. However I was surprised at how well these swords seem to handle when swung. They aren't going to cut like a XIIa but they are not so dedicated as something like a rapier either. To my mind hte XVIs and XVIIs are the completely dedicated thrusters. Thank goodness someone started makeing cutting swords again like the XVIIIs.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 09 Feb, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
To my mind hte XVIs and XVIIs are the completely dedicated thrusters.

I have to disagree partially on this one. XVI's are in a lot of ways akin to XIV's. In fact Oakeshott says that XIV.1 in Records should probably be a XVI not a XIV. He also says this about type XVI's in SAC:

Quote:
The most striking thing about these blades is that they seem very clearly to be made to serve the dual purpose of cutting and thrusting.

XVII's are pokers, though, so we agree there. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 09 Feb, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe we should say that XV's are thrust and cutters, instead of cut and thrusters.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 09 Feb, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think I agree with that Roger, although I can't say I knew that about the XVI Chad. I've read both of those books but it's hard to retain everything. I was basing my assumptions on the blades profiles which look distinctly thrusty... I do remember Oakeshott's disdain for the XVIIs he didn't seem to be a big fan.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Agincourt
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: