Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Check this crazy thing out! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jack Yang

PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Check this crazy thing out!         Reply with quote

Have yall watched the Final Fantasy movie Advent Chilren? Take a look at this cloud's buster sword, they actually made the separate peices that fits together...
http://www.trueswords.com/advent-children-bus...-2904.html
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Check this crazy thing out!         Reply with quote

Jack Yang wrote:
Have yall watched the Final Fantasy movie Advent Chilren? Take a look at this cloud's buster sword, they actually made the separate peices that fits together...

Reminds me of the extremely dangerous two bladed "sword" someone was making in imitation of dungeons and dragons or star wars. Somebody is going to get hurt playing with these things, IMO this is the worst kind of thing in the industry, with all due respect to the makers it seems irresponsible to market these things to basically children.

This one for example http://cgi.ebay.com/DOUBLE-BLADED-FIGHTING-SW...dZViewItem for $9.99 is actually less dangerous than the first one I saw. You don't even have to have anyone else around for there to be a tragic accident with one of these.

I don't mean to disparage any of this fantasy stuff I'm just afraid more and more high school kids are going to get hurt playing with ninja swords and related items and it's going to cause a problem for more, I don't know responsible or serious sword collectors.

In a thread about the threat of sword banning legislation in the UK somebody was talking about putting like a $100 tariff on imported swords, which would price some of the junk right out of the market they are aiming at. I don't know if thats a good idea or not.

Jean

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree, it's fine to create replica versions of fantasy swords (no matter how silly), but the problem here is one of misinformation and marketing talk. The site is filled with phrases such as "carbon steel," "fully sharpened," "battle-ready," and "high quality" - all suggesting something very far from the truth, which is that these swords are wholly unsuitable for any kind of contact, and possibly even for simple swinging in the air.
Martin Forrester

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How do you intend to stop advertisers lying? Especially on ebay. At the end of the day there's one born every minute, better information will not stop people being dumb.
Oh, lets just pull out our swords and start whacking at each other, that'll solve everything!
E Stafford

PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud. Lift one of them and you'll figure out REAL quick that you can't fight with them.

Cloud Strife's Final Fantasy Buster sword has come to life exactly as he would want it. After thousands of requests and 6 months of production, the first fully functional Buster Sword is here! Full tang, Battle Ready, Accurate, and MASSIVE - There is no other Buster sword like this in the world. Featuring extremely high quality construction, 51 1/4 inches overall length, 7 inch wide blade, and 16 LBs. This sword is ready to turn heads at conventions and become the center piece of your Final Fantasy sword collection.

Sheesh. I don't think I could swing something that big for very long, let alone one handed. I've also seen these on BUDK, but I try to stay away from fantasy stuff. Just not worth it.

Last edited by E Stafford on Tue 24 Apr, 2007 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total
E Stafford

PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: You have GOT to be kidding me!!!         Reply with quote

As opposed to THIS!!

http://www.trueswords.com/soul-calibur-tiras-...-2559.html

I don't have the faintest idea on how to use a ring weapon. Let alone one with spikes coming off it.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: You have GOT to be kidding me!!!         Reply with quote

E Stafford wrote:
As opposed to THIS!!

http://www.trueswords.com/soul-calibur-tiras-...-2559.html

I don't have the faintest idea on how to use a ring weapon. Let alone one with spikes coming off it.

Looks great if one doesn't mind the occasional accidental self-disembowelling. Eek!

O.K. as a pure wallhanger or as a fantasy piece or even as artwork related to a game. Big Grin ( But PLEASE leave it on the wall Eek! ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Grayson C.

PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Check this crazy thing out!         Reply with quote

Jean Henri Chandler wrote:
Somebody is going to get hurt playing with these things, IMO this is the worst kind of thing in the industry, with all due respect to the makers it seems irresponsible to market these things to basically children.

I don't mean to disparage any of this fantasy stuff I'm just afraid more and more high school kids are going to get hurt playing with ninja swords and related items and it's going to cause a problem for more, I don't know responsible or serious sword collectors.

Jean

But...But...

I'm a high school kid (seriously!) and I play with Albions Laughing Out Loud !

But I agree with you. When they market these swords for younger audience and have such absurd dinamics and safty hazards as these, it's pathetic. I wish something could be done to stop this, but I don't think there really is unless it inflicts with some techincality of the first ammendment Happy
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Check this crazy thing out!         Reply with quote

Jack Yang wrote:

You've --- Got --- To Be --- Kidding Me. Eek! WTF?!

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Check this crazy thing out!         Reply with quote

Grayson C. wrote:
I'm a high school kid (seriously!) and I play with Albions Laughing Out Loud !

But I agree with you. When they market these swords for younger audience and have such absurd dinamics and safty hazards as these, it's pathetic. I wish something could be done to stop this, but I don't think there really is unless it inflicts with some techincality of the first ammendment Happy

Wait a minute, you are in high school, and you play with Albions (Plural!)?

What are you Bill Gates kid or something? I make a pretty good salary and I've only been able to afford one (mid range) Albion so far.... What paper route are you on?

I think this problem could be fixed with a $50 import tax on swords. I'd hate to do that to Windlass and Deepka but it wouldn't make much difference on the higher end stuff. Frankly the Windlass stuff would still be a bargain in many cases.

Somehow I suspect though that won't go over well here so forget I said it Blush

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Grayson C.

PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok, "Albion" (singular) -- I just bought my ritter, which I posted a mini review here on the forums. No I'm certainly not rich as I had to save up the money for almost a year as well as having to actually pay $1400 instead of $700 because I have a deal with my parents that just about anything I buy, I have to put an equal amount into my college fund. I own 6 swords now, with the seventh on the way from my winning of the first Generation 2 sword design contest. All except the Ritter are in the $100-300 range though.
Michael Clark

PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm also a highschool kid, but for all practical purposes I should be out in the world making money to BUY a sword, but I digress..

Being privvy to the level of intelligence and maturity of the current anime-following age group, I can guarantee that this is exactly the kind of thing that gets people hurt. You can't blame the folks producing this type of material, as it is obviously a valuable market. One can only how that some parents have common sense, and know what their children are mature enough to handle.

Thankfully everybody in my town is dirt-poor. And those that aren't spend their money on other on clothes.. Wonderful lot of children these days.

In regards to the actual SWORD, though... Heck, I'd love to have it purely for the workout.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Check this crazy thing out!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic