And this is the budget option?
Hello my name is David Sutton and this is my fist post on this site (or any for that matter!). I've been lurking on this site and reading a lot of the posts and features for a while and felt that today i should finally contribute. Why have i made this momentous decision? Today i received my first Albion sword, a Squire Line 13th Century Knightly and what a sword it is! I had come home from work on my lunch break and was surprised by a knock at the door. It was a UPS man with a long white box for me I knew exactly what it was and after signing for it i quickly opened it up. As soon as i gripped the hilt I knew this was something special. It was so well balanced and agile. I ended up being late back at work I just couldn't put it down!
Anyway, now ive had time to handle my sword more and evaluate it.I cansee why Albion are so well thought of. Its not my first 'proper' sword as a I already own a Paul Chen/Hanwei william marshall (along with a Deepeka gladius and a Hanwei practical knightly) and although its a nice sword the Albion is streets ahead in my opinion. Its so responsive and fast and even though it seems to weigh pretty much the same as the marshal in my hand it seems lighter. It seems so much more alive and in a fight or on the battlefield i could imagine defeating an opponent with several deadly blows raher than a single fell swoop with the heavier bladed marshall.
The final thing that amazes me is that this is Albion's budget option as compared to the Next Gens or the Museum line swords and the fit and finnish is briliant. Well thats my two pence worth just thought i had say something about my new sword. Hope i didnt come across as an Albion sales rep or something he he! I've got a Del Tin on order that should be ready by May so ill be able to compare to two.
Welcome David! I have more than a few times sang songs of Praise for Albion and Arms & Armor, having 2 swords from the first and 10 swords from the latter. Many of us do this when we get a new sword that we are excited about, I surely do, though I won't be for a while because I am taking a breather from the sword buyers market. :lol:
Though, when I get a new sword from either of these fine companies, I am over flowing with joy and excitement and am compulsed to share the passion of my emotions!
I also love reading the excitement of others, such as your post, it was very refreshing to me because it was not long ago that I got my very first sword, the Arms & Armor German Bastard Sword in August 2005 and I was so elated that I was almost plastered to the ceiling of our livingroom! :lol:
You just cannot go wrong with an Albion, David!

Thanks for your post.

Bob
Yes Albion makes a nice product,

One thing to consider, at least in my opinion, is that Cold Steel, Depeeka, or Paul Chen don't really make swords- they make sword shaped objects. ALL antique swords, or any historical weapons for that matter, display some level of dynamic shaping to the blade that makes the weapon wieldable. The different price point/market weapons we see today, in no way, mirror historical specimen. In other words- it is not true that better weapons in the old days handled like Albions and cheaper weapons handled and had the general blade shapes of Museum Replicas, Paul Chen's, or whatever.

We are in the VERY BEGINNING of of making reasonably comparable reproductions of historical specimen. This is an exciting time to collect. But really, and I'm sorry I have to say it, there's really no reason to buy lower end reproductions as you are kind of waisting your money. It's great that you have purchased an Albion for your first sword- so many folks first post goes something like this- ""I want a well balanced quality sword but I can only spend $200." Such a thing does not exist.

Congratulations on your sword- now start saving for your next. . .

Jeremy
Thanks for the replys and the warm welcome guys its very encouraging for a new boy like me! Bob, when you say you were plastered to the ceiling i think you hit he nail right on the head. If anybody had seen me yesterday jumping up and down and giggling like a school boy i think they would have thought me quite mad! :eek: I hope to own some Arms and Armour stuff some day i particularly like their Henry V sword. A photo of the original was probably the first sword i ever saw when i was a kid and I've had a liking for it ever since.

Jeremy, i think you are right when you say that lower end repros are a bit of a waste of money, and time, ultimately. A few months ago i was tempted to purchase a Depeeka norman style sword it looked ok but after reading up on it i realised that looks aren't everything and i'm glad i saved my cash! I bought the Paul Chen Marshall because here in the UK its probably the most easily available half decent sword (if you want a medieval single hander that is). Now I've got my Albion i can see that this is way closer to the mark as a recreation of a period weapon, I can imagine that if i lived during the high middle ages, that this is what i'd like to have at my side in time of war. I'm well pleased that i decided on this Albion, in fact its sitting at the side of me as i write this! I think my next Albion will be one of their Oakeschott XIV types i like their broad tapering blades and sheer points they look like wicked little swords.

David
David Sutton wrote:
I think my next Albion will be one of their Oakeschott XIV types i like their broad tapering blades and sheer points they look like wicked little swords.

Good choice :) I just got to handle a Yeoman last week, and 'wicked' is the best word to describe it. I ordered my own right away, and the wait is excruciating!
I think you must have read my mind! The Yeoman is, I think, going to be the one I choose. The sovereign is more attractive, but its just a little too expensive for me and the Sheriff is just a bit too plain so the Yeoman seems to be a good compromise between the two. ;) From what I've read they all seem to handle well.
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
...cheaper weapons handled and had the general blade shapes of Museum Replicas, Paul Chen's, or whatever...really no reason to buy lower end reproductions as you are kind of waisting your money.
Jeremy

Of late I've come to think its a bit of an error to make blanket statements telling people its a waste of money to buy lower end swords, especially people new to the hobby. I think that when we say high end only, we effectively bar many people from ever getting into this hobby and risk strangling it. Especially when several low cost vendors DO sometimes make some great beaters, decorations, costume pieces, and even reproduction swords that can be very good learning tools (IMO).

Want one example of putting low cost, reasonable reproductions to good use?

I will not let my teenage son and his friends play with my high end pieces. However, I let them cut pool noodles under supervision with blunt Windlass pieces because I can tolerate having a Windlass mishandled in a moment of excitement, and the handling of a couple that I own are reasonably close to historic pieces (not just reproductions) that I have handled (IMO). Its a way I can share my interest with them (looking does not do it).

One of my son's friends thought that only Oriental swords were good. He has some reproductions of unknown but I assume suspect quality and was raving about them. Constantly asking me why I was wasting money on European swords since Asian swords were better anyway. Eventually I was able to let him cut pool noodles with my two decent Windlass reproductions, and he has suddenly became convinced that Europeans actually had decent swords too. My Windlass swords are apparently even considered "amazing" now.

How can this be a bad thing?

Incidently, he managed to accidently drag the tip of my WIndlass longsword across a concete patio while walking out to the cutting stand (teenage excitement). Because it was a Windlass, I was able to be calm and handle this as a teaching opportunity. Had the accident occured with a high end piece, I doubt I could have remained as calm which would have ruined the experience.

So to me there are very good reasons for buying an array of products from an array of vendors. Even some low end pieces, from some low end vendors, that I have to admit I have also dismissed as not so good from time to time.

Last edited by Joe Fults on Sat 21 Apr, 2007 6:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
"I want a well balanced quality sword but I can only spend $200." Such a thing does not exist.

Jeremy

Actually I think such broadly defined swords do exist, at least in the US, and I own two of them.

Not historically accurate to the level of some vendors.

Certainly not museum quality reproductions.

But swords of respectable quality. Swords of good balance. Swords that do handle well. Swords that have a good temper. Swords that have shown respectable durability.

Swords that I bought for under $200 at retail each.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: