Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Opinions on the MRL Shrewsbury sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joe Loder

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Opinions on the MRL Shrewsbury sword         Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

I received one of these for my birthday a few years ago and I'm now thinking about using it for light cutting (once I have it sharpened). I wanted to get some opinions on this blade's durability because I would prefer not to damage a gift that my wife got for me. Once sharpened I think that this sword would face mostly produce, milk jugs, and occasionally sword fodder targets.

What says myArmoury?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

He who laughs last, thinks fastest.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How long ago is a few years ago?

Windlass quality, especially for this piece, has drastically varied over the years. Mine was one of the earliest Windlass models, circa 1992, and had a welded tang with rat-tail, no better than a SLO. Had I used mine for cutting, I would have had a broken hilt in no time. Others here, whom have received this sword in recent years, have reported a beefier tang with no weld. Windlass has gradually improved this sword and others in their lineup, so I would say you should be okay if yours is one of the later swords.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Joe Loder

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got it two Septembers ago. So I guess I have one vote for not to shabby Happy. Good news for me!
Nicholas Zeman

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have an older Windlass single hander, not too different from the Shrewsbury, which I put through a good deal of abuse. It is not sharpened, but I regularly put it to task at a PVC pell and occasionally steel on steel contact with almost no discernible effect, with the exception of a few dings along the edge (typical Windlass non-sharp but non-blunt edge geometry). I actually think it's one of the toughest swords I have owned, and the fact that it was so cheap has made me pretty careless with it in terms of abuse. I would say you should have no problem with the Shrewsbury at all in cutting practice.
Grayson C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own this sword. While it certainly does have it's flaws (horrid leather grip material and a plastic core) I found it to be a very nice sword for the price I payed (about 90$ or so IIRC). I've reviewed it for Paul Southren's site and I'm pretty lazy, so I'll just have to direct you there ;D

here's my review:

http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/windlass-shrewsbury.html

and another of the same sword:

http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/affordable-sword.html

both of us thought it was a great sword. I've been VERY hard on my particular model -- for example: consistently chopping a huge tree hundreds of times. I have a tip defect on my blade though, although this is probably an isolated event and I wouldn't expect others to have this. The tang is more than appropriate for the size of the sword and there is no welding whatsoever.
Jonathan Blair

PostPosted: Thu 19 Apr, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Most Windlass pieces from that period have threaded pommels, although I have heard an unconfirmed rumor that they are peening their pommels these days. The threaded pommel would allow you to disassemble the hilt. You could do so and check to see what kind of tang you have. If you got it in September two years back, you should be fine though. I'll have to dig up the pictures of mine with it's welded tang. Of course nowadays, the eighteen inches of the tip of that sword has become my new basilard dagger, which is a work in progress (I had made a rondel out of it, but it looked really bad, so now I'm making it a basilard).
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Chris Last

Reading list: 8 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 19 Apr, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Several of my guys have that one. They use it for light cutting, forms, etc and have not had any complaints from it thus far. All the ones we've picked up have been from the last couple of years.
" Hang fires are all fun and games untill someone gets their eye poked out... by charging calvary." - J.Shoemaker

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
http://www.gsmbristol.org
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 19 Apr, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got one for my brother-in-law a year or so ago and was quite impressed with it. I think it's one of the best longswords Windlass makes...if not the best, at any price. The fittings are attractice and well made (except the plastic cored handle), the blade is not overly whippy and the feel and balance of the swords are very good.
New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Jonathan Blair

PostPosted: Thu 19 Apr, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's mine. As you can see, the tang on the early Windlass Shrewsbury Sword leaves much to be desired. I understand that now they are much better.

Attachment: 60.96 KB
[ Download ]

Joe Loder

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you VERY much everybody for the information that you've given me. It looks like I won't break my present through light cutting Happy. Now I just need to replace the MRL scabbard with something not as junky and I'll be set Happy.

Thanks again!

~ Joe

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Opinions on the MRL Shrewsbury sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic