Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help with Good Sources for Chinese Swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Robert Zamoida

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: Help with Good Sources for Chinese Swords         Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone knew of any good makers of Chinese swords, both dao and jian. I know of Liveblade.com, but their selection is rather limited; and I know of the offerings by Hanwei, but I'm looking for quality on par with Albion and Arms and Armor, within the price range of the Albion Next Gens (if that's possible). I've seen the daos done by Vince Evans, which are beautiful, but I'm guessing his prices are well above the Albion Next Gens. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
-Miyamoto Mushashi, Gorin no Sho
Douglas Peters

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've seen http://www.dguertin.com/ mentioned over at SFI, and I think the swordsmith (as D.A. Guertin I guess) hangs out over there. Never handled his swords personally, but I'm sure they're probably high quality. Only other company I can think of is cold steel, but yeah I doubt cold steel is on par with Albion.
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Good Sources for Chinese Swords         Reply with quote

Robert Zamoida wrote:
I was wondering if anyone knew of any good makers of Chinese swords, both dao and jian. I know of Liveblade.com, but their selection is rather limited; and I know of the offerings by Hanwei, but I'm looking for quality on par with Albion and Arms and Armor, within the price range of the Albion Next Gens (if that's possible). I've seen the daos done by Vince Evans, which are beautiful, but I'm guessing his prices are well above the Albion Next Gens. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I probably shouldn't respond at all to this Rob..... But over on SFI's Chinese Swordsmanship forum I started a post trying to start a discussion on Chinese Swordsmanship. Instead I wound up with two requests for Dawg made gims on that thread, and another one via PM.

After Scott Rodell's San Francisco seminar in 2001, Scott and I discussed my using one of the gims he had brought, as a model for a gim. It was one I could do the hilt pieces entirely with the tools I have here at the shop..... but it wasn't one of the "classic" types..... Within a month or so, it was all forgotten because of a rather large distraction {swordmakers conflict}, and I really hadn't thought about it again until that thread......

I need to look over my schedule and see if I can squeak in something like a gim {means shoving sabers even further out *g*}, need to talk to Scott again, etc.......

We'll see........

swords are fun
Robert Zamoida

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eek! Eek! OOOOOO! Eek! Eek!
ATrim jians? That I would love to see! If you do make one Gus, could you send it to me as soon as you can, since I'm probably going to need it to beat off all the saber fans angry about they delay! Razz Laughing Out Loud

Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
-Miyamoto Mushashi, Gorin no Sho
Justin Gifford

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm just waitin' for the kabbage kutters! Cool

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help with Good Sources for Chinese Swords
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic