Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > ARMA article on Historical Sword Weights Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jan, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: ARMA article on Historical Sword Weights         Reply with quote

ARMA has an excellent article up on Historical Sword Weights .

Check it out at the link below ! Mac

http://www.thearma.org/essays/weights.htm

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jan, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Mac for posting this.

Of course, John Clements is preaching to the choir for the most part. As he acknowledges in his article, however, those whose beliefs are already set on the "heavy" and "ungainly" medieval swords will not be persuaded.

I'm interested in knowing how others handle this situation. I basically give out the numbers, show them my own swords (under strict supervision) and try to argue logic. Met with indifferent success so far..."this isn't an accurate reproduction...medieval warriors were much stronger than people today...steel weighed more back then (I'm serious, a lawyer w/ a degree in history told me this)...etc." Making progress though, slowly but surely.
Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jan, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen S. Han wrote:
Thanks Mac for posting this.

Of course, John Clements is preaching to the choir for the most part. As he acknowledges in his article, however, those whose beliefs are already set on the "heavy" and "ungainly" medieval swords will not be persuaded.

I'm interested in knowing how others handle this situation. I basically give out the numbers, show them my own swords (under strict supervision) and try to argue logic. Met with indifferent success so far..."this isn't an accurate reproduction...medieval warriors were much stronger than people today...steel weighed more back then (I'm serious, a lawyer w/ a degree in history told me this)...etc." Making progress though, slowly but surely.

Steel did weigh more...seriously, its a well known fact.

Ah, forget it. I couldnt even WRITE that and keep a straight face... Happy

On a more serious note, I thought it was a very good article. its good that he is showing pictures of actual antiques beeing weighed and measured.
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jan, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen S. Han wrote:
steel weighed more back then (I'm serious, a lawyer w/ a degree in history told me this)...etc.

...or the guy who told me that swords were made of iron in the Middle Ages, which he claimed was heavier than steel... Laughing Out Loud

Good article, and one that will hopefully be another step towards dispelling the "heavy sword myth".

My sword site
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jan, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Steve

Most of the people I've tried to enlighten have been open to the possibility that I speak the truth !
I get alot of "Oh really, thats interesting , I always thought you had to be Conan to swing them" !

Myths do indeed die hard !
But as long as we keep putting out the facts, with a good mixture of common sense, we will slowly dispell all the misinformation !

I like to think of ourselves as history teachers without the degree ( well some of us anyway ... Does the school of hard knocks count ;-).
But we must always be positive that the info we pass along is factual, so as not to start a new fairy tale !

Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jan, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Indeed Mac, we must strive to educate rather than start a new fairy tale. I suppose I've drawn some "bad cards" lately. I do get every now and then a surprised, "Man! This is a LOT lighter than I thought!" when I hand someone my VE River Suck Sword, followed by a "GAAAAAAAAH" when I tell them how much a custom sword costs. Big Grin

Ewart Oakshott's name gets mentioned more than once in the more involved discussions, as well as the referrals to A&A and Albion websites. And of course, this website.

"History teachers without a degree" I like that.

Thomas McDonald wrote:
Hi Steve

Most of the people I've tried to enlighten have been open to the possibility that I speak the truth !
I get alot of "Oh really, thats interesting , I always thought you had to be Conan to swing them" !

Myths do indeed die hard !
But as long as we keep putting out the facts, with a good mixture of common sense, we will slowly dispell all the misinformation !

I like to think of ourselves as history teachers without the degree ( well some of us anyway ... Does the school of hard knocks count ;-).
But we must always be positive that the info we pass along is factual, so as not to start a new fairy tale !

Mac
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jan, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this, Mac. I had not known the article was completed. It's a very good piece!
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Gabriel Stevens

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jan, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I went on a family outing with my mother to the St. Louis art museum recently and they had an Arms and armor exhibit up where they had a couple of two handers, the swiss type (never could spell the name starts with a Z though, sorry its late, I'm lazy). Anyway I covered up the tag for the sword that had the weight listed (I think it was in the 7 pound range) and asked her how much she thought it weighed, which she answered fifty pounds. It was cool seeing the shocked look on her face when I showed her the real weight. I mean even that claymore that Mac has isn't even 5 pounds if memory serves me right.
Shane Smith

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think some in our own community help to maintain this level of misunderstanding unfortunately. A friend and beginning Swordsman recently loaned me a sword for testing which is made by a well known(dare I say "notorious?") manufacturer of "battle ready" replica's. The sword looks pretty good...until you pick it up. I can only assume that the people behind this weapon were seeking to make "double weight" training swords as discussed in the article in question. The sword is just so beyond the reality of historical weights that it could serve no other purpose than wall-hanging if isn't meant as a specialized training piece. Consider how many folks decide they want a "real battle ready medieval sword" and buy one of these replica's(somebody is buying them and I doubt it's knowledgable Swordsmen or collectors). This kind of thing isn't furthering understanding among the multitudes that believe these kinds of weapons to be truly representative of reality. That is my opinion.
Shane Smith
ARMA~ Virginia Beach
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Sword Weight Chart         Reply with quote

One thing that helps perpetuate these misunderstandings is the fact that weight is often left out of the stats for original swords. I suppose it is easier to carry a tape measure than a scale. Several months ago I began collecting the weights that I could find published for original pieces. Most of these come from George Neumann's book and from Claudio's Page. The rest were picked up here and there. (I have heard that weights are published for swords in the Wallace Collection, but I have yet to find a way into their sword collections.) Any ideas of how I can access these Wallace Collection stats, or any others, would be welcome.

Here is a chart of what I have collected so far. I have broken it down into some very basic categories. In each case the data is plotted from lightest to heaviest. Median weights for sword groups would be where the line begins to level out. In most cases I will need to find more data to get an idea of median weight.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Shane Smith

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great work Kirk ! I think you're really onto something. In your chart,when you refer to 1.5 and 2 hand swords,are you referring to longswords when you say "two handed" or are you referring to true two handers in the zweihander sense?
Shane Smith
ARMA~ Virginia Beach

Last edited by Shane Smith on Mon 02 Feb, 2004 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brock H

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Sword Weight Chart         Reply with quote

Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:
Any ideas of how I can access these Wallace Collection stats, or any others, would be welcome. ks

The Wallace Collection Catalogues of Arms & Armor publish the weights. I got my copy by searching through online used book services, such as alibris.com, abebooks.com, amazon.com and barnesandnoble.com. Don't remember which service turned it up. The two volumes together cost around $110, including shipping. A&A might still have a copy left, including Vol. 3 supplement. These are not used, but cost $300 for the set.

Thanks for posting your chart. More information is always good to get.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriel Stevens wrote:
I went on a family outing with my mother to the St. Louis art museum recently and they had an Arms and armor exhibit up where they had a couple of two handers, the swiss type (never could spell the name starts with a Z though, sorry its late, I'm lazy). Anyway I covered up the tag for the sword that had the weight listed (I think it was in the 7 pound range) and asked her how much she thought it weighed, which she answered fifty pounds. It was cool seeing the shocked look on her face when I showed her the real weight. I mean even that claymore that Mac has isn't even 5 pounds if memory serves me right.

Gabe,
Does the St. Louis art museum normally have this arms and armor exhibit, or was that a limited showing?
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Sword Weight Chart         Reply with quote

I believe the Wallace Collection is compiling a new catalogue, as the old one is out-of-print since many years.
My sword site
Brock H

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If they are, I would certainly be interested in a new one. Are there any British members here who can find out if this is true?
Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Real Two Handers         Reply with quote

Shane Smith wrote:
Great work Mike! I think you're really onto something. In your chart,when you refer to 1.5 and 2 hand swords,are you referring to longswords when you say "two handed" or are you referring to true two handers in the zweihander sense?

Shane,

It is interesting that you ask this question because it was the most arbitrary distinction. The best way to explain the upper limit of a "Two Hander" is to think of a sword that could be carried in a scabbard at your side or on a horse and would not look too rediculous. (Like I said... very subjective) To answer your question more directly... Two Handers would include swords like Scottish claymores but not those gigantic Zweilhanders with the strange protrusions on the blade, long ricassos and grips long enough for about four hands. I would consider a two hander, a sword where you would use two hands and not have too much grip left over. Maybe I could start another category and call it Three and Four Handers.

Thanks
ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Sword Weight Chart         Reply with quote

Brock H wrote:
Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:
Any ideas of how I can access these Wallace Collection stats, or any others, would be welcome. ks

The Wallace Collection Catalogues of Arms & Armor publish the weights. I got my copy by searching through online used book services, such as alibris.com, abebooks.com, amazon.com and barnesandnoble.com. Don't remember which service turned it up. The two volumes together cost around $110, including shipping. A&A might still have a copy left, including Vol. 3 supplement. These are not used, but cost $300 for the set.

Thanks for posting your chart. More information is always good to get.

Brock...

Thanks for the info... Maybe I can get it through inter-library loan. If not maybe I can save my pennies for the new version.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Ruel A. Macaraeg

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Sword Weight Chart         Reply with quote

Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:
One thing that helps perpetuate these misunderstandings is the fact that weight is often left out of the stats for original swords. I suppose it is easier to carry a tape measure than a scale. Several months ago I began collecting the weights that I could find published for original pieces. Most of these come from George Neumann's book and from Claudio's Page. The rest were picked up here and there. (I have heard that weights are published for swords in the Wallace Collection, but I have yet to find a way into their sword collections.) Any ideas of how I can access these Wallace Collection stats, or any others, would be welcome.

Here is a chart of what I have collected so far. I have broken it down into some very basic categories. In each case the data is plotted from lightest to heaviest. Median weights for sword groups would be where the line begins to level out. In most cases I will need to find more data to get an idea of median weight.

ks

I'm curious as to why a line graph was used for this data. Typically, line graphs are used to show continuous (as opposed ot discrete) measurements in which the variation of independent variable (along the x-axis) causes corresponding variation of the dependent variable (along the y-axis). But surely, the number of swords measured doesn't affect the swords' individual weights! It probably would've been better to leave off the number of swords per category weighed, and just make a simple bar graph using each "type" of sword as discrete columns along the x-axis.

The effort is appreciated nonetheless. Wink
Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Sword Weight Chart         Reply with quote

Ruel A. Macaraeg wrote:
Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:

ks

I'm curious as to why a line graph was used for this data. Typically, line graphs are used to show continuous (as opposed ot discrete) measurements in which the variation of independent variable (along the x-axis) causes corresponding variation of the dependent variable (along the y-axis). But surely, the number of swords measured doesn't affect the swords' individual weights! It probably would've been better to leave off the number of swords per category weighed, and just make a simple bar graph using each "type" of sword as discrete columns along the x-axis.

The effort is appreciated nonetheless. Wink

Hi Ruel,

Thanks... Sorry for the confusion...
I really did not mean to imply that swords naturally got heavier as I measured them.
The data was recorded at random and then I sorted it to put it in order from
lightest to heaviest for each catgory.

If I plotted it as a bar graph per category I would have to choose what to plot:
Max weight, Min. weight, Average, median etc. Plotting the distribution as a continuous line
helped me to visualize these elements. The lowest point is the lightest sword recorded the
highest point is the heaviest. With enough data the middle of the line should approach a horizontal.
This could be seen as approaching the median weight.
I was able to find enough data on Hangers and Baskethilts from Neumann's book
to see the middle leveling out. I suspect that when I have more info on the other sword categories
a similar thing can be seen.

By putting the data in a sequence from lightest to heaviest I hoped to be able to show
an emerging distribution as I graph each new matrix...
In this sense I think it works well. Once I have more information I will explore
other ways of presenting it... and labeling... Thanks for your input.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Gabriel Stevens

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Bill. I believe all of the pieces (there weren't a huge number) are in the Art Museum's perminant collection but this is the first time I can remember them being on display. We're a little poor here in StL for historical arms and armor.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > ARMA article on Historical Sword Weights
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: