Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Spear Advice Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Spear Advice         Reply with quote

The common concensus is that I need to diversify. So in that spirit, I've decided I need a good spear appropriate for a Norman portrayal. I've had my eye on this thrusting spear but I'm not sure if it looks too Viking. Would a winged spear be more appropriate, or a slimmer throwing spear type be more appropriate to a Norman portrayal? Any other makers anyone suggest? Arms & Armour has been mentioned to me, any others?
A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eek, why is the blade brown? I'd steer clear of this one, I'm afraid. My impression is that winged spearheads are a little early for c. 1066, anyway. You'd be better off with a plain steel one, not too big, with a straight-tapered blade. Not sure where to get a good one, though, it's been too long since I shopped for one! Arms and Armor should be a good place to start, though. The world DOES need more good spears!

Good luck!

Matthew
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The spearhead is Hanwei's Thrusting spear; The spearhead is "pattinated brown", while the socket emulates the silver etchings found on some dark age spearheads. As silver does not rust, the museum pieces have this "half corroded" look.
Yes, it's a bit silly.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Having owned all of Hanwei's spear heads, I can vouch that this ones lugs are no thicker than a sword blade.
Just a FYI, for I found them a little too thin.

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, the common advice seems to be steer clear. Well, having spent quite a bit on swords recently, I don't think I am quite in the position to buy an A&A spearhead (one day though), so does anyone have any opinions on the spear offerings from Windlass?
Felix Kunze

PostPosted: Fri 30 Mar, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't help with the quality of the spearheads from Hanwei, but winged spearheads are definitely not too erarly for the Norman Conquest, and the Hanwei looks correct. There have been spears with side hooks in the 7th. century in central europe. From these predecessors the Franks developed the typical carolingian winged spearheads in the 8th. century, so they would have been in common use in Normandy in this period. Their use by norman warriors until the 12th. century is also confirmed by book illustrations from the period.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 30 Mar, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Felix, the winged or lugged spear head is documentable to the Norman period. However, the neillo work on the Hanweis socket really places it in an earlier time frame for me. The Hanwei spear heads are also rather shoddily cast as well. There's nothing wrong with that neccesarily, but Hanwei typically does such a terrible job of overheating and burning steel during their casting and heat treating that I'd have to call these decorative pieces. I have one of the earlier ones without the idiotic brown finish. It's nice enough to look at but certainly not a good representative example of what a spear head should be.
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Fri 30 Mar, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick: So which of the Windlass offerings looks the best in your opinion?
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 30 Mar, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This one looks the best to me, not perfect but workable and affordable.
http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~1-68...r+Head.htm

If it's a bit too large it can be ground down to a more preferred size. given the cost it wouldn't be a big outlay, even if a butt cap is used as well. I don't have any problems with the A&A 12th cent. spear I already have, but I'll probably use this one when I decide to sit down and make one a bit longer.
Grayson C.

PostPosted: Fri 30 Mar, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin, I own the winldass generic "viking spear" and I've found it a most rewarding weapon. You can get it from $30-36 without even trying to look so it's very inexpensive. Mine costs me literally nothing because I had racked up a few $10 gift certificates from Paul Southren at www.sword-buyers-guide.com for several reviews on his forum that were placed on the main site.

I tapered a 7 foot spear shaft (and added the thrid blistetr to my thumb in a matter of a day....one from hedge trimming, one from sabre fencing [parried too hard and the blade slid out...even hurt through the glove] and finally this Laughing Out Loud ) and placed the spear head on it. I believe that it accomodates a 1 1/4 inch shaft, but obviously you'll need to spend 30 minutes with a chisel tapering it. Mine fits snugly with only pressure holding it down. The only complaint I can find on it is the blade itself is just the slightest inadequate in terms of tempering. It seems that, when hit against things...(oak trees, etc. Laughing Out Loud ) it gets bend just slightly out of line. But this takes litterally one second of hand presure and it's back to new.

edit: It's the one Patrick posted above!
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi

Ive got one ( non winged version ) Its hollow? Also the silver is plated over copper, its starting to show. For that price in Australia you can get a nice but plain solid example of a authentic looking spear head.

N
Jef P.

PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all,

Here is a lance head I'm currently working on. It was found in a river in Belgium. I have to write a conservation report on it. I don't know the typology of this type of lance head. Is there anyone on this board who knows the evolution and can give an aproximate date for this object?

And yes, this lance head measures 50cm. It's a wicked weapon Big Grin

Thanks in advance,
Jef

Legio XI CPF (Belgium)

Last edited by Jef P. on Mon 02 Apr, 2007 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On my end, all I am getting is the dreaded red X... Cry
Jef P.

PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fixed it Wink
Legio XI CPF (Belgium)
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! I would not want to be facing that down. Stout wooden shield or not!!! That is just brutal looking...
Sorry I can't be mmore help dating it. Don't know much about lance heads...

Elling Polden

PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jef P. wrote:
Hi all,

Here is a lance head I'm currently working on. It was found in a river in Belgium. I have to write a conservation report on it. I don't know the typology of this type of lance head. Is there anyone on this board who knows the evolution and can give an aproximate date for this object?

The spearhead in question is similar to Pettersen's type D. He dates them to the 10th century.

Attachment: 58 KB
Pettersen Type D [ Download ]

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
Fabrice Cognot
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You're right, Elling, about Petersen, that is. Things have been a bit refined since.

I'll PM you, Jef.

Cheers

Fab

PhD in medieval archeology.
HEMAC member
De Taille et d'Estoc director
Maker of high quality historical-inspired pieces.
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have the impression that this style is attributed to the area of central France and Beligium, possibly overlapping into some regions of present day Germany.

As one moves towards Southern France the examples sold by antiquities dealers seem to be fairly long (19" to 20") and shaped more like thrusting sword tips. Specimens offered as originating closer to Spain as well as SouthEastern Europe tend to remind me of long awl points rather than 2-D blade type shapes.

Just wondering if anyone else has the same impression.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fabrice Cognot wrote:
You're right, Elling, about Petersen, that is. Things have been a bit refined since.

Anything else would be a bit depressing :P
He only made the spear typology to help date the swords.
Just out of curiousity, what is the State of the Art on these things?

Felix Kunze

PostPosted: Tue 03 Apr, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This short graphic from 'Die Schweiz zur Merowingerzeit' shows the likely evolution of the winged spear. I hope this may help you, although it lacks some dating.

The second picture shows some winged spearheads found in south-western Germany. The piece in the middle is 52 cm long and has 8,2 cm wide wings. It was dated to the 9th. century. The shorter example on the right is said to show some merovingian influence in having a hexagonal socket and is dated to the 8th. century. the blade´s cross section is also more diamond-shaped, owing to avarian influence on the weaponry of this region and period.

Attachment: 117.06 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 122.42 KB
[ Download ]

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Spear Advice
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: