Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The wait... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
If a maker routinely misses delivery dates and doesn't exercise good communication I don't care who's "sword god" they may be, or how talented they are. They won't get repeat business from me. (that isn't really the topic of this thread, but since it's skewed that way.....) I currently have three orders in-progress, two custom and one production. So far everything is going as planned. Whie waiting for an order I'll usually take the time to educate myself on its design, time period, etc. This way if it's something new to me I'm at least semi-informed when it arrives.

Other than that, I simply act like a grown-up and have patience. Wink

Patrick, that last sentence sums up very well the situation that prevails when you have ordered a sword from Patrick Barta, as you well know. All you can do is wait and keep putting the money away so that you'll have it when your number comes

And I am with you on the missed date factor. I had that experience with Irish Arms and they were not in contact with me until I finally got my sgain, some several months after the promised date.

Hugh
Still trying to walk in the Light
Please see 1 John 1:5
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So the Reeve is officially ordered today! Now it really is just a matter of time....
A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
So the Reeve is officially ordered today! Now it really is just a matter of time....

Hope something came out of this thread that helps pass the time.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Helen Miller

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That sure is a wait! I generally tend to look at sword sites and make a list of future swords that I want. It tends to take
my mind off what I have ordered. Then when the time comes I like to look at information on the sword I have ordered.

-"A woman's tongue is her sword, and she does not let it rust."
Proverb
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Helen Miller wrote:
That sure is a wait! I generally tend to look at sword sites and make a list of future swords that I want. It tends to take
my mind off what I have ordered. Then when the time comes I like to look at information on the sword I have ordered.

Do that quite a bit myself.

Quite a bit of thinking and looking, and often searching for new sources to try, goes on before I decided what I want.

It does fill the time occasionally.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Helen Miller wrote:

Unfortunatly I have already planned out the next 4-5 swords I want after the Senlac and Reeve arrive. Of course after getting a Reeve and Senlac, it'll be awhile till I can get another (probably a CF/AT1211 or 1215)...

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
Helen Miller wrote:

Unfortunatly I have already planned out the next 4-5 swords I want after the Senlac and Reeve arrive. Of course after getting a Reeve and Senlac, it'll be awhile till I can get another (probably a CF/AT1211 or 1215)...

Sounds like you need a good axe then.

That should help mix things up a bit.

Robin Smith

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually I need a good spear first. Then a bigger seax then the little utility one I own now... Anyone know a maker of a good spear for a Norman Kit?
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
Actually I need a good spear first. Then a bigger seax then the little utility one I own now... Anyone know a maker of a good spear for a Norman Kit?

I'd suggest some of the stock A&A spear designs which might not be quite what you want, but are probably pretty close. Alternately find a design you like and reach out to A&A, they are pretty flexible.

Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A&As 12th century spear is a good choice, but a bit short. The same applies to their viking spear. Of course we have to remember that spear lengths and designs would have varied as much as any other weapon, so it really depends on what you're going for: something that represents a spear meant for infantry use, a cavalry lance...........? The 12th century spear works well for what I need and it's short enough to be easily transported.

Some of the various Windlass offerings can be made into passable spears/lances on the cheap.
http://www.kultofathena.com/spears.htm
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

what do you think of this thrusting spear or this throwing spear? Too Viking for a Norman portrayal? If I was buying just one would a broader one with lugs be more appropriate, or slimmer throwing spear?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Folks,
If you want discuss spears, please start a new thread. Thanks!

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
what do you think of this thrusting spear or this throwing spear? Too Viking for a Norman portrayal? If I was buying just one would a broader one with lugs be more appropriate, or slimmer throwing spear?

What was that? I can't here you over the anal retentive claxon going off. Wink

Check your e-mail.
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh... Did Mr. "I won't wear those boots, because black isn't period" have something he wanted to add about the subject of anal retention? Razz
In a feeble attempt to put this thread back on track, I would like to publicly accuse Mr. Kelly of causing this whole mess. He single-handedly is responsible for goading me into my Albion obsession. Big Grin Since this is all your fault Mr. Kelly, would you please share the secret to waiting for a new sword (or swords in my case)?

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
Oh... Did Mr. "I won't wear those boots, because black isn't period" have something he wanted to add about the subject of anal retention? Razz

I don't have a problem with anal retention. My diet is heavy on bran. (probably a subject for a new thread though!)

Quote:
In a feeble attempt to put this thread back on track, I would like to publicly accuse Mr. Kelly of causing this whole mess. He single-handedly is responsible for goading me into my Albion obsession. Big Grin Since this is all your fault Mr. Kelly, would you please share the secret to waiting for a new sword (or swords in my case)?

Ah grasshopper, the ox moves slow but the earth is patient. Big Grin

I just spend the time playing with one of the nice swords I already have. Razz
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Robin, you mentioned the Albion "Reeve", that is a particularly very sweet sword in my book. I had the pleasure to handle the Reeve last summer at the Bristol Renaissance Faire at the IL / WI border, which belonged to one of the
myArmoury members and it is one lovely sword to wield!
I liked what Patrick Kelly had to say about being mature about being patient. In fact it was Patrick who was integral to my development in learning patience and the true value of what this hobby is all about. I have an enormous amount of gratitude to Patrick for all the things he took the time to teach me and the time to direct me in the correct paths!
Patrick, I am really excited for you especially on these 2 up coming custom orders as well as the production order, and I look forward to hearing about all three of them Exclamation

Yes, at times the "Wait" can be tough, I personally have never been involved with an irresponsible business, I've done business with Arms & Armor, Kult of Athena, Chivalry Bookshelf, a whole lot and a couple of things with Albion Swords and I've never had a problem, ever Exclamation
I am an extremely loyal customer when I find a place I am happy with, it's just part of the way I am, rather old fashioned in some ways, once I settle on a place of business I am happy with, I tend to grow roots. Laughing Out Loud
I guess I find my comfort zone.

But like Patrick said, if doing business with a place and they habitually go way past promised completion dates, it's time to say "Bye bye"!

Sincerely,

Bob
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 30 Mar, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a 3 year wait on Patrick Barta's waiting list. I will be using this time to save. I find that when I look at my collection, though probably on the small side, I have so much to work with- and even with only 4 higher end swords- that's really more than enough to keep me busy playing with. . . er. . . dry handling and examining the handling characteristics of my swords. This is to say nothing of my axe and spear.

I feel sorry for the chap who has NO weapons of any kind or only lower end ones who has to wait- I would think that would be difficult.

Jeremy
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 30 Mar, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob,

Your words are too kind. Thank you. It's very nice to see you grow as a collector and hobbyist.

Jeremy,

I'll make one further order with Patrick when the current one is completed, for a migration era sword. That will complete the core of my collection and what I want it to illustrate. I don't know if I'll be making any further orders with Patrick after that, as a 3+ year wait is getting a bit excessive for me. It's certainly not Patricks fault nor is my comment a criticism, it's just getting outside of my personal limits. Of course, that next order will likely be my most expensive sword to date so a three year wait will be welcome.

I haven't forgotten about your request for that photo. Work's been very busy and I'll try to get it to you this weekend.
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Fri 30 Mar, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
I have a 3 year wait on Patrick Barta's waiting list. I will be using this time to save. I find that when I look at my collection, though probably on the small side, I have so much to work with- and even with only 4 higher end swords- that's really more than enough to keep me busy playing with. . . er. . . dry handling and examining the handling characteristics of my swords. This is to say nothing of my axe and spear.

I feel sorry for the chap who has NO weapons of any kind or only lower end ones who has to wait- I would think that would be difficult.

Jeremy

That's me Eek! The only sword I have that could be described as even remotely close to high-end is my Albion Mark Hastings, and even that doesn't measure up to a Next Gen. So here I sit, with only the Hastings, and a MRL Classic Medieval as far as swords go, to keep me company. Now once I have the Senlac and Reeve in addition to the Hastings and MRL, the wait for others might be easier....

Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 30 Mar, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

I'll make one further order with Patrick when the current one is completed, for a migration era sword. That will complete the core of my collection and what I want it to illustrate.

Gosh Patrick,

I didn't even think about making a SECOND order with Patrick Barta when my name comes up. It's unfortunate but I just can's see myself parting with more than $5000.00 at one given point which would invariably be the case if I was to commission two swords. I say this is unfortunate because this will likely by my only chance to abtain one of his works and I believe that really only Mr. Barta and Peter Johnsson have the most sufficient knowledge of my period of interest to make the highest eschelon of high middle age swords. There seem to be a few more smiths out there with a keen knowledge of renessaince weapon so folks interested in this period should consider themselves lucky..

Plus, I love inlay- especially in the blade and I have strong opinions regarding what I feel is a dearth of this technique in modern reproductions, including custom pieces. Patrick has assured me- and I fully trust that he has the know how to execute iron inlay in the blade of the sword I will commission.

Actually, now that I think about it Mr. Pringle produced an absolutely beautiful Viking sword a number of months ago.

And no worries Patrick I also appreciate the knowledge you have passed on to me- I wait in anticipation to see your custom axe!

Jeremy

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The wait...
Page 2 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: