Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Small Number of Forums Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Small Number of Forums         Reply with quote

Thought I'd put this here and hope it fits.

Just wanted to let the management know that I'm really growing to appreciate the smaller number of forums here. It really does make it easier to check what is going on. A very good design call I think, that I've only recently come to fully aprreciate.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Sat 07 Feb, 2004 1:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree, and have said so before... Besides for being easier to take in in toto, it supplies a bit of overlap of sword interests and keeps the 'segregation' factor down a bit. I know there are forums (on other boards) where I feel like an outsider if I post in them, especially in areas that I have no extensive knowledge.
Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Sat 07 Feb, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree. Too many forums just kinda separates people, doesnt it?
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 Feb, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another Aye. Don't seem to get lost in the crowd.

William
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 07 Feb, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Number of Forums         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Thought I'd put this here and hope it fits.

Just wanted to let the management know that I'm really growing to appreciate the smaller number of forums here. It really does make it easier to check what is going on. A very good design call I think, that I've only recently come to fully aprreciate.

Thanks, Joe. At the risk of being redundant and obvious, I agree completely.

When I added a discussion forum to myArmoury, I sat back and defined many of the goals I was trying to accomplish. I am pleased to read "good design" in your statement, because I really did look at it from the ground up and designed a different approach to this sort of thing that most on-line forums. Most discussion groups, be they related to our specific hobby or not, don't really seem to approach this sort of thing from a design perspective. The visiting experience isn't really considered, and at the end of the day, the community built around the forum often ends up lacking cohesion.

In terms of the number and focus of the various forums, I've often felt that excessive separation of content often creates a non-unified community and prevents the organic and dynamic sharing that leads to really quality discussions.

The contents of this site really define the audience. We're catered to an already small community. As such, a further breakdown of that community into specialized areas really seems to only limit the amount of cross-interest interaction. I've found that we all tend to migrate to areas that make us comfortable, but by doing so, we often limit our exposure to new information, new people, and new experiences. I don't want that to happen here...

I want people to see posts that are unrelated to things they already know or are already interested in. I want to build their interest, expose them to new ideas, and invite them to start to participate in that new stuff. This is one of the best ways of adding growth to this hobby, in my opinion.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 07 Feb, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes...good design. Big Grin
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 07 Feb, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd still like to have a forum just to focus on "Single-handed type XVI's from southern Italy from 1422 to the summer of 1425".........

Happy

Seriously, I'm happy that we're not so subdivided also. I visit 4 different boards, and this one always provides useful knowledge. I can't say that about the others.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
David McElrea

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 07 Feb, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Nathan,

I'd have to agree-- not only is this the most enjoyable forum I've been on (ok so I've not been on that many but...), it's the best design I've ever seen. Full applause from this side of the Atlantic!

David
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 09 Feb, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, I agree. Everything is more tightly knit.

I just hope that the "Features Talk" forum is the right forum for general sword discussions, asking for opinions on swords, making purchase suggestions...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Small Number of Forums
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic