Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Mar 5: myArmoury.com news and updates Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  

Considering all of this week's latest additions, please rate the quality of our efforts.
Excellent
62%
 62%  [ 44 ]
Very Good
24%
 24%  [ 17 ]
Good
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
Fair
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Poor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 70

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Mar 5: myArmoury.com news and updates         Reply with quote

Today's update:

Windlass Steelcrafts Crusader Sword

A hands-on review by Mark Mattimore

Last Legend Generation 2 Lucerne Sword

A hands-on review by Bill Grandy

Last Legend Generation 2 12th Century Sword

A hands-on review by Bill Grandy

Windlass Steelcrafts High Middle Ages Dagger

A hands-on review by Mark Mattimore

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very good and informative articles that don't pull any punches but don't trash the product either.

Some of the aesthetic flaws I could live with and fix with a little dulling of surfaces or a little antiquing ( Can vary from giving a light patina to a more deeply etched surface ).

The handling of the swords seem to vary from good to mediocre but not really bad and at least deserve being considered functional. Heat treat seems to also be good so we are out of the decorator niche.

As some of the makers are listening to suggestions, some of the subtleties that are mostly sculptural can in time be refined as the distributors / designers try to communicate these to the factories making the swords ( or other weapons ).

The local designers are probably working mostly from pictures and that would explain why an outline drawing of the swords would look very good but the 3D interpretations need more knowledge of historical swords and more graceful lines.

In any case reviews of lower end but still worth the money ( or almost ) swords is very useful and interesting.

Well, many thanks to Mark and Bill for their well written articles.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Greg Griggs

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice reviews Bill and Mark. It is always good to see "no punches pulled" reviews done of products that are "okay" but could use some refining. Also good to see lower priced products reviewed with the same respect afforded something costing 4-5 times as much. Great update guys. Congrats!

-Greg

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Brian D. A.

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's nice to see some of the more inexpensive swords reviewed. While I recognize that the reviews here provide more information than just the perceived value, the price point is often what I focus on in review of a lower priced sword. This is useful because I already know that the more expensive brands are good quality, but I don’t always know what to think of windlass and other comparable brands. Some models are better than others; these kinds of reviews give me an idea of the ones that might meet my expectations.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well done reviews, Mark and Bill.

As noted by others, it is good to see some time and effort devoted to the lower end of the price/value continuum. It is helpful for folks who don't want to spend a lot of money to get an unbiased idea of what this level of pricing can buy. It is also helpful as a point of comparison for those who might be willing to cough up more dough for a higher end piece, but aren't sure if the extra money is really warranted for their own needs and budget.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks goes out to Clyde from Last Legend for providing the swords as loaners for the hands-on reviews.

Cheers!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: MRL dagger         Reply with quote

Great review, I've been interested in MRL daggers for a long time. Do you think it's worth sharpening them or are they better just as decorative pieces? Are they very strong?

I can't find this particular dagger available on the MRL site. I was also interested in their silver handled dagger is there any information available on that?

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: MRL dagger         Reply with quote

Jean Henri Chandler wrote:
I can't find this particular dagger available on the MRL site. I was also interested in their silver handled dagger is there any information available on that?

J

The High Middle Ages Dagger may have been discontinued. They do that a lot. Happy You could do some Googling and see if any retailers have any leftover stock. Kult of Athena has it in stock, for instance. Edit: Kult of Athena lists it as discontinued though they do have at least one in stock.

As for the silver-hilted dagger, we don't have a review of that one published or in the works. You should ask about it in the Historic Arms Talk forum, though, as this forum is for discussing other things.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: MRL dagger         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Jean Henri Chandler wrote:

J

The High Middle Ages Dagger may have been discontinued. They do that a lot. Happy You could do some Googling and see if any retailers have any leftover stock. Kult of Athena has it in stock, for instance. Edit: Kult of Athena lists it as discontinued though they do have at least one in stock.

As for the silver-hilted dagger, we don't have a review of that one published or in the works. You should ask about it in the Historic Arms Talk forum, though, as this forum is for discussing other things.

It's also still available at Reliks

http://www.reliks.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=2043

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Mar 5: myArmoury.com news and updates
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic