Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion New Swords, San Mauritzio etc. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Esa Etelävuori

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jan, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Albion New Swords, San Mauritzio etc.         Reply with quote

I read this on Albion's Svante page: The plan is to perfect Solingen, Brescia and Tritonia, and then move on to Svante, San Mauritzio and the Swedish Army Sword as soon as those changes are complete.

How's the case with these. I mean San Mauritzio and the Swedish Army Sword.

There are two "Saint Maurice" Swords by Del Tin. Which one it is? And how's the SAS?
Brian M

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jan, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe that they are talking about doing the St. Maurice-Turin sword.
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jan, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Esa,

In short, we are trying to get caught up. When the original PJ museum line was conceived, the Next Generation swords were just pub talk. So, we were setting our production schedule around those swords (PJ museum). Add to this the fact that we had some technical difficulties in the form of too much shrinkage in the castings. This put the Solingen, Brescia and Tritonia behind schedule as well as Svante. So we have corrected the castings issues. The Tritonia is in production, and Brescia is at the foundry. In addition, Solingen is also off to the foundry. Then, we have the issue of the Next Generation. We only have four Vikings complete in this line and the response has been unbelievable! We have a ton of pre-orders. The Baron is at the foundry being cast and Leif just finished the Prince molds. Those will be going to the foundry soon too. So, we are just trying to catch up before we take another big step forward. Peter is working on the new Svante waxes, so those will be molded then cast in the near future.

I visited the Royal Army Museum in Stockholm with Peter and viewed the Swedish Army sword. This project is very much a high priority, but we have to do some more ground work first. San Mauritzio is likewise a priority but it got caught by the Next Gen rush. We are hoping to have most of the swords we have up on the sight done by summer, but with everything there are always roadblocks. We will keep you updated as new info comes to light.

Hope this helps.

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.

Last edited by Eric McHugh on Sun 01 Feb, 2004 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What does the swedish army sword look like? Do you know what the next sword in the hallmark series will be?
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kenneth Enroth wrote:
What does the swedish army sword look like? Do you know what the next sword in the hallmark series will be?

I can answer one of your questions -- with just a small couple of preview shots, courtesy of Peter...

Despite the impression of the photos, this is a BIG hollow-ground sword, an awesome and devastating weapon in the hands of a trained cavalryman...

Best,

Howy
Albion

Attachment: 28.74 KB
mod1701sas.jpg

Attachment: 33.63 KB
mod1701sas2.jpg

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howy,

Thanks for the pictures. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Stephen
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That piece is a real eyecatcher. I like that flashy hilt combined with the broad hollow ground blade.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All I can say is wow.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Original swords are much sought after (fetching prices around $10.000 or more at auctions), and quality reproductions unheard of, so this will be a welcome addition.
My sword site
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw the drawings, and spoke with Peter about this sword while in New Glarus. While it's outside of my intrests it should be a very impressive sword.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For those who are interested, it is a Swedish Army P1701, carried by king Charles XII's Life Guards regiment. This was the sword that was used against the Russian army under Peter the Great.
My sword site
Brian M

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is perhaps a dumb question about the proposed St. Maurice sword. Is there detailed data available on the original? Or is it remotely possible that, say, Peter will be allowed to document it? I guess the question is, will it be a "Museum Line" type (i.e. a nearly exact recreation based on a documented original) or a "NG" type (i.e. a similar but not exact "brother-sword")?

Glad to hear the Baron is coming along, looking forward to it in a few months.

Brian M
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
This is perhaps a dumb question about the proposed St. Maurice sword. Is there detailed data available on the original? Or is it remotely possible that, say, Peter will be allowed to document it? I guess the question is, will it be a "Museum Line" type (i.e. a nearly exact recreation based on a documented original) or a "NG" type (i.e. a similar but not exact "brother-sword")?

Brian M

Peter has documented and measured the original sword. I've seen pics of it, and the Brazil nut pommel doesn't really look like those on some current replicas of that sword.

My sword site
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:

Brian M

Yes, I did document this sword at one occasion. I could not beleive my luck when the curator opened the vitrine and handed me the sword *and * the scabbard....the small hair in my neck stood out. It was an amazing experience.
The Turino S:t Maurizio is very well preserved and offers improtant information of how a sword can be made to function as a cavalry weapon. To me it made the impression of being a good quality, but not fancy, weapon in the line. Gripping this sword was almost like shaking hands with a crusader. Difficult to describe that feeling, actually.

Unfortunately the photos did not turn out too well...It is possible to use them as basis for a reconstruction, but they are not of a quality to publish. I made drawings of both the sword and the scabbard. It was very interesting to see how the lacing was made on this one. As the scabbard is clearly made in some hurry recycling used belts and scrap peices, it shows that the scabbard maker had some production demands to meet...
I cannot say what road is best to follow on that one. Reproducing another craftmans compromises and "mistakes" is actually very difficult and does seldom turn out well. Personally I think the best way to follow when it comes to the scabbard is to duplicate the principle of the lacing in all details, but perhaps not make the scabbard of cut apart peices that demand exra seams to be put together again.
We will se where we end up with this one.
In any case, the material and data I have will make it possible to produce a reconstruction of this specific original, so it is not just a sword the is "inspired by", but a sword that captures the original visually as well as performance: a sword for the Museum line.
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Documenting historic swords is cool, but getting to examine a sword like that is beyond cool. I've seen profile-view photos only, but I suppose you would need many photos from different angles to begin to understand the actual 3-D shapes, without seeing the sword in person.

Brian M
Robert Zamoida

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Bjorn, was Charles XII Life Guards Regiment a heavy cavalry regiment?
Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
-Miyamoto Mushashi, Gorin no Sho
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert Zamoida wrote:
Hey Bjorn, was Charles XII Life Guards Regiment a heavy cavalry regiment?

Yup, the unit was an elite formation of 200 cavalry, all picked officers, where the privates were actually captains, the corporals lieutenant-colonels, etc. They wore buff coats and breastplates.

My sword site

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion New Swords, San Mauritzio etc.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic