Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Advantages/Disadvantages of the Shape of a Sword/Knife Blade Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Justin Pasternak

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Advantages/Disadvantages of the Shape of a Sword/Knife Blade         Reply with quote

What are the main advantages and disadvantages of the three main shapes of sword and knife blades?

Straight Blades: such as a European Broadsword, Rapier, etc.

Forward-Curved Blades: such as the Turkish Yataghan, Nepalese Kukri, etc.

Backward-Curved Blades: such as the Indian Tulwar, Persian Shamshir, etc.
Grayson C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well one HUGE advantage I can think of with straight bladed european designs is versatility. Thrusts and cuts were both easy to utilize, but the main aspect was the ffact that the back edge could be used as well. Foreward and backward curving blades generally could not do the types of cuts availible to a straight, double edged sword.

Some advantages with backward curving blades (and my also apply to forward curving ones as well) is that that naturally give a slicing motion because only one point of the blade touches the target while the rest has to perform a draw cut. Arguably a more effective slicer, but I haven't noticed much difference. Maybe someone with more experience could shed light on this?
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you had to thrust, a curved blade (like a scimitar) may prove to be a disadvantage, though don't quote me on that. Anyone with experience on curved blades care to elaborate?

One advantage to some straight blades (emphasis on some) is the option of half-swording: grasping the blade with one hand for a more powerful and controlled thrust and/or for close-quarters combat (i.e. your opponent is right in your face). I think Grayson touched on a good point (pun intended! Razz ) about versatility. Straight blade designs can vary considerably in profile taper depending on the typical tactics and defenses of the given period. Certainly a straight blade would be optimal for thrusting just like the world's most efficient thruster: the rapier.

By contrast, some of the world's most legendary swords are curve-bladed. Here, the Japanese katana certainly is among the first to come to mind. Idea

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
George Hill

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In Spada, in the part on the hungarian curved sword, it seems that using the curviture to do a hooking stab was used.
To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Curved swords could thrust. Most rhusting motions are actually curved, anyway, and you only need to suit the motion to how deep the curve is. What really matters in terms of thrusting capability is not really the curve of the blade, but its stiffness and the design of its point.

Replying to the original post, I don't think there's really an easy way to establish the comparative advantages and disadvantages of blade types. Straight blades are usually better at chopping cuts, curved ones at slicing cuts, and forward/reflex/whatever-curved ones like the kukri tend to be monster chopper. But, on one side, there's the fact that all cuts combine chopping and slicing motions, and on the other there are obviously straight swords that are no good at cutting at all, such as certain kinds of nearly edgeless smallswords.

We can have a more fruitful comparison by examining two specific blades rather than over-generalizing about the properties of blade types.
Marton Pap

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi!
I was just thinking that you don't have to draw a cut for the slicing motion, thus shortening yourself. If the the point is a bit late in the motion, the sword makes contact like a guillotine does, which is a quite effective cutter as we know. A curved blade like a sabre has an evil advantage in doubling Happy
Regards!
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Advantages/Disadvantages of the Shape of a Sword/Knife B         Reply with quote

Justin Pasternak wrote:
What are the main advantages and disadvantages of the three main shapes of sword and knife blades?

Here is as I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong):

Quote:

The use of both edges in a cut and reverse cut without having to turn the blade.
Accurate placement of the thrust in a straight line.

Quote:

Not to familiar with these to understand how they work. My guess is they are used more in a chopping motion, which would be more effective against harder targets, such as shields, armour?

Quote:

The blade will always strike at an angle compared to the traveling distance, so it will automatically give a slicing motion.
Due to the POB being behind the blade, the cutting edge will automatically follow the direction the blade is travelling.
Due to the curvature of the edge, the force is distributed over a shorter length of edge, resulting in a deeper penetration.
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm under the impression that in several cultures, the curved and straight swords enjoy different reputation. The straight (generally double-edged) sword being seen as more 'noble' in a way, more technical in its handling, and the curved sword being seen as an overgrown cutting tool, more popular among common soldiers.

I have a book about chinese weapons where the author says just that. Relatively simpler, more straightforward techniques with the dao (curved saber), and very refined techniques with the jian (straight sword). But it seems to me that in Europe it was partly the case as well: nobility favouring straight blades, and curved weapons more common among soldiers. Most of the symbolic of the sword was attached to the straight forms as well.

And it remains somewhat true today: what do we see in the hand of the Orks in the Lord of the Ring ? Some sort of falchions, hooked blades, etc. While the all the heroes of course use straight swords.

There are some curved blades, in this regard, that are still seen as straight ones are. I'd say they are straight swords that became slightly curved: for example the katana, and some cavalry sabers. In fact, the katana is designed both as ken (the kanji is close to the chinese for jian) and as to (whose ideogram is the same as that of dao in chinese) as far as I know.

I'm pretty sure my view could be overwhelmed with counter examples from various parts of the world, but since it is coherent with what I know about the handling... I'd like to hear the members' point of view about that.

Note that it is also coherent with what has been said in this thread: the advantage of the curved blades is being extremely good at what it is obviously made to do. The advantages of straight blades are more hidden, technical uses not necessarily obvious at the first sight.

I'd like to point out that both weapons cited as forward curved have in fact a double curve: forward at the base, then backward near the tip. Since most hits are delivered with the portion close to the tip, you could consider, from the point of view of the blade, that is is backward curved. The difference may lie in the balance, they seem to be build to be blade heavy. Difficult to judge without handling one...

There is one more thing I'd like to add:
Jeroen Zuiderwijk wrote:
Due to the curvature of the edge, the force is distributed over a shorter length of edge, resulting in a deeper penetration.

This does not ring true to me. Most targets on a human have a curvature far higher than the typical curved blade. Even if you find flat parts, you have sharp angles between those, and you will hit the angle instead of the side. This is readily apparent when you attack cardboard boxes with a sword Wink

Regards...

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Backward-curved swords are easier to cut with at close range. Due to the curve, you need less space "to pull the sword around your body."
With a deeply curved sword, like some sashmirs, you could stand toe to toe with the foe, and still deliver an effective drawcut.

While straight swords fencing involves a lot of movement, angles, and techniques with the point, curved swords are better suited to straight to bind, grapple and slice.
Early Sashmirs where cavalry weapons; riders fighting each other with swords have litte posibility for tactical movement or large blows, so a drawcuting sword might be preferable, at least in a context where armour is scarce.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Nicholas Zeman

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is also the issue of having a thicker back edge with the curved sword (and on backswords as well) which reinforces the cutting edge with extra weight in the cut. A 2-edged sword does not have this robust feature, since both edges must be thin and sharp. I don't know how this effects cutting ability overall, it might be a minor difference in two-handed style of weapons (like the longsword and katana), but most likely makes a bigger difference in single-hand swords. Because of the mechanical advantage when using two hands to cut with, some of these performance differences will start to become much less pronounced when talking about two handed use. Comparing the cutting ability of a longsword and katana, for instance, there will be much less difference in the ultimate performance as there would be comparing a Jian and Dao in the same test.

Another thing to think about when speaking of handling and use, the cruciform sword is unique because it is entirely symmetrical and can be used as such, making ample use of both edges and point from various angles. Curved swords, like the saber, katana, shamshir, etc... seem to be oriented at making strong cuts with some thrusting ability, but of course there isn't a false edge (on some sabers, falchions, etc... there is a short false edge at the tip) to use on the other side. While the curved sword can thrust, and do plenty of damage in that thrust, there are certain angles and thrusting options that aren't really as useful with them. The thrust is not nearly as accurate with a curved sword as well, due to the curve. Of course there is also the "curved" thrust, giving the curved sword the ability to thrust "around" another sword, a very useful tactic.
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Sun 11 Mar, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nicholas Zeman wrote:
There is also the issue of having a thicker back edge with the curved sword (and on backswords as well) which reinforces the cutting edge with extra weight in the cut. A 2-edged sword does not have this robust feature, since both edges must be thin and sharp. .

You get away from this with wider blades......... A wider blade gives more weight on the cut, more rigidity, and makes it easier to keep the blade tracking into the target "on line".......

A single edged sword can be more rigid, given the widths and lengths, and thickness are similar.... and fullers don't change the equation............

A saber who's blade is mostly fuller, can be quite "flexy"........ do away with the fuller, and it can be quite rigid, though then the blade is heavier, and much more work to "wield"............

Cutting advantages for one or the other? Its my experience and opinion that blade geometry and dynamic balance are more important than whether a blade is curved or not..........

Handling advantages? Weight, shape of handle, blade geometry, dynamic balance, and a few intangibles have more to do with this than whether one is curved, another straight, in my opinion and experience........

swords are fun
Justin Pasternak

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What would be the ideal blade shape/type for a sword to have both a versatile (equal) cutting and thrusting ability? Worried

Any examples of an almost perfect sword used for both cutting and thrusting? Confused
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Justin Pasternak wrote:
What would be the ideal blade shape/type for a sword to have both a versatile (equal) cutting and thrusting ability? Worried

Any examples of an almost perfect sword used for both cutting and thrusting? Confused

Probably no such thing as the perfect sword as one could argue that a perfect sword for the 13th century and one for the 16th century would depend also on fighting styles and the amount of armour coverage.

One way to look at it is blade shape: A wide at the guard blade gradually tapering to a sharp narrow point with maybe some degree of point reinforcement.

To give examples of my personal choices for very close to the ideal:

1) Type XIV like the Albion Sovereign.
2) Type XVI with a wide blade and a diamond shaped reinforced point like an Albion Prince.
3) Type XVIII like the Albion Kingmaker

For later periods:

Wide bladed " rapiers " like the A & A Cavalier, the Dresden or the Town Guard sword.

I would add some of the basket hilt types with similar blade shapes. ( Wide blades tapering to a sharp narrow point could include single edged versions also with or without a sharp false edge. )

The above is just a list of examples of what I would be looking for in a sword that would have a powerful cut and an effective thrust but doesn't mean that other examples might not be just as good. My personal do everything early sword would be the Sovereign of the type XIV with maybe just a little of the type XVI reinforced point. ( So a tweener between type XIV and XVI ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Mon 12 Mar, 2007 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Small point. With some forward curved blades (e.g. falcata, shallow curve kukri etc.) the angle between handle and tip gives a very natural 'pointing' position (rather similar to what is said about the handle on a Luger ) so that they can be good thrusters (particularly to face and throat) as well as choppers.
Geoff
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Advantages/Disadvantages of the Shape of a Sword/Knife B         Reply with quote

Interesting thread! While agreeing with all the caveats pointed out by others, I'll "take a stab" at making some gross generalizations here.

Justin Pasternak wrote:

Early European "broadswords" such as the Viking type swords, the German Migration -era swords, the Roman Spatha and Celtic 'long' sword, were (in most cases) primarily cutting weapons always meant to be used with a shield if possible. I would also put a rapier in something of a category of it's own - a specialized civilian thrusting weapon. But a European longsword or later era arming sword or cut-thrust-sword has the following advantages:

Seem to be equally effective as cavalry or infantry weapons

1) Extremely versatile
2) Generally greater reach for the same length blade.
3) False edges (people who haven't done or at least seen real Historical European fencing simply cannot grasp how important and lethally effective the false edge cut is)
4) Enhanced precision in the thrust
5) Half-Sword ability, which at the basic level enhances thrusting and close-in grappling ability, at more advanced levels allows for brutally effective disarms and deadly counters

Also:
Often more substantial cross-guards / hand protection. Usually a closer to the hilt balance point making for greater agility

Quote:

FYI, apparently invented by the Greeks or Spanish, then brought to India and Central Asia by Alexander

These are usually relatively short.

1) Are usually infantry weapons (at least the earlier varities seemed to be)
2) They seem to have greatly enhanced chopping ability (physics are somewhat like a hand-axe)
3) Good at close range

Not particularly good at displacement / parrying (arguably) Historically they were usually used with shields.

Quote:

Usually cavalry weapons

1) Enhanced draw-cut (arguably)
2) Better weapon retention when cutting from horseback
3) Single handed versions often feature canted grips to further enhance weapon retention
4) Arguably better at cutting at closer ranges

Don't seem to be as good for displacement (arguably)

Frankly I think the ideal cut-and-thrust weapon is something like an Oakeshott XVIa like the Brescia Spadona

I admit this is really little more than a personal hunch Happy

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Justin Pasternak wrote:

There is no such thing. Period. At least no such sword that will equally satisfy each and every person as the "perfect" sword for all situations. Remember that the effectiveness of a sword does not only depend on its mechanical properties, but also on the skill of its user--and how accustomed the user is to that sword. Say, the longsword and the katana are tow different kinds of swords made for different purposes--and each of them is admirably suited to its designated purpose. In the hands of the wrong man, however, neither of them is anywhere near effective. A highly experienced longswordsman who has never wielded a katana will end up being quite clumsy if suddenly forced to take up the latter weapon--he'd find that the katana lacks the reach and the false edge he usually takes for granted in his longsword. So would a skilled practitioner of kenjutsu without European longsword experience be if the longsword is the only weapon around--it'd feel way too long, but paradoxically enough the balance will be too close to the hilt for his liking.
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The very hetrogenity of sword design is proof that there is no "ultimate design". If there where, all swords would look the same.
In the end, the sword is a tool, and the skill/attitude/dumb luck of the wielder is more important to the outcome of a fight than the properties of their blades.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:
The very hetrogenity of sword design is proof that there is no "ultimate design". If there where, all swords would look the same.
In the end, the sword is a tool, and the skill/attitude/dumb luck of the wielder is more important to the outcome of a fight than the properties of their blades.

Yeah, y'all make a good point here, but I would also submit that some weapons crafted in areas which saw warfare between scores of nations and numerous mixtures of cultures, may have been more versatile than others from more isolated cultures which were more specialized to a specific type of warfare.

I recognize that this is very arguable, but having done a lot of cross-format sparring, I'm personally convinced that the longsword is simply a better weapon than a katana or even the tachi. More reach, false edges, much better hand protection, a closer to the hilt balance and the ability to half-sword combine to make for a weapon which simply has more options in a fight. That doesn't mean a bad fighter with a longsword can defeat a good fighter with a tachi by any means. The quality of the weapon is a smaller part of the equation than the skill of the fighter.

I do agree that swords are, of necessity specialized for certain purposes. The weapon ideal for plate armored combat could be unsuitable for an unarmored duel, an excellent cavalry weapon may not be as effective for infantry. But I think some weapons have come closer to an ideal balance of versatility and effectiveness than others. A good longsword can cut and thrust with equal facility. That was the specific question asked, for cutting and thrusting.

You could look at it this way. As you say a sword IS a tool. So what is the best tool? A screwdriver? A hammer? A saw? Each is good at a certain specific task. Saws aren't very good at hammering, for example, hammers are pretty bad at cutting boards. But personally while I would always prefer to have the right tool for the right job, if I had to pick a single tool for exile on a deserted island, I'd probably take a nice heavy hunting knife. With a serrated back edge, a heavy pommel and a hollow grip with some fish-hooks and a flint inside Happy

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Korey J. Lavoie

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A nice post that covers a few points that I would have made, there are specialized swords that have been made; however, it would seem that many versatile swords have been made that fit the role of a sturdy, all around tool. Some would pick a long-sword designed to be capable at both the cut and the thrust, or perhaps a good side-sword. Personally, I would prefer a Swiss Sabre. It would seem that it's slight curvature would make it well balanced between cutting and thrusting and the long, fully sharpened clip that appears to be common on many examples would have made it capable of the angles of attack utilized by long-swords.
From the hundred year war
To the Crimea
With a Lance and a Musket and a Roman Spear
To all of the Men who have stood with no fear
In the Service of the King
-The Clash: The Card Cheat

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Advantages/Disadvantages of the Shape of a Sword/Knife Blade
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic