Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Q for Nathan Bell Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David McElrea

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jan, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Q for Nathan Bell         Reply with quote

Hey Nathan,

I was looking at Manning Imperial's site today and saw their Hodd Hill, which I know you have. Any chance of a little review (even informally here) now that you've had it for awhile? It is an absolutely stunning sword!

Yours,

David McElrea

Attachment: 117.09 KB
166detail_b.jpg

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jan, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got to see and handle that beauty at OMAG. So of the detail work is really unexpected.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just getting back to this, I was out of town this weekend.

This is a really nice sword, lots of great detail work. The construction appears to be very sound, and the fittings are nice and tight.

From what I gathered from Craig, all the hiltwork was carved/engraved individually by hand.

This sword has a very good, "blade authoritative" balance. It is a shade under 2.5 lbs, and handles like the rather brutal cut and slasher it is.

I am working on sharpening it fully, so no test cutting yet (although I am not a huge "test cutting" kind of guy). It came with a very thin .5mm edge toward the hilt, and was in fact sharp for much of the length, I am just putting a nice appleseed edge on it (slowly so slowly). It did not have secondary edge beveling, as you can see.

That is a quick thumbnail. What else do you want to know about it, I can answer specific Q's.
David McElrea

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for your response. From Manning Imperial's site and from your reply I gather the following stats:

Blade
28" long
2" wide
Distal taper of 8mm-2mm (non-linear?).

Sword
Weight less than 2.5 lb

I'd be interested to know the overall length, as well as the POB and COP if that's possible.

The reason I ask about the distal taper (non-linear?) is-- and I am not a swordsmith so this is a question of ignorance on my part-- the 8mm to 2mm seems quite drastic. In my mind's eye I see a blade that might be a bit fragile at its tip (I mean no offence by this, again, I'm a layman).

Any info along the above lines would be great.

Thanks,
David
Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi David,

I will have to save the measurements for later, when I am home.

As to the distal taper measurement, I do not think 2mm at the tip is too thin for several reasons.

First, the context and usage of this sword indicates a sword that would be used to slash (primarily) and stab(secondarily) at largely unarmoured targets. Whether this is a native British piece, or a sidearm of a Roman auxilla is up for debate. Either way, the opponents of the wielder are likely to be the native British tribesmen--thus the bulk of the opponents it faces are protected by a wood and leather shield. MOre rarely, a helm, either bronze or iron might be used, and very rarely, a chielftain in mail may be the opponent. In any case, this sword is designed for use against the unamoured bits, where a thin tip would be useful for tip cuts and thrusts into exposed areas.

Also, this particular sword exhibits a rather strong and well-defined flattened diamond cross section. The thin diamond structure is still very evident even at the tip, giving the tip section a mechanical structural strength greater, in my uninformed opinion, than a blade which merely becomes flat at the tip.

Further, other archaelogical evidence supports the fact of the thickness and relative taper. For instance, another native British find, the well known Llyn Cerrig Bach deposit, yielded sword blades with similar measurements. This find is roughly contemporary in date. In his analysis, Fox gives measurements of the thicknesses of sword blades, often from the center and/or base and tip (depending on what is present, since several blades are fragmentary). One sword was 4mm at the center, and measured 2mm at the tip. At least 2 other swords were 3mm at the center, and one supposes they would have some amount of distal taper as well, if complete.

So about 2mm at the tip seems to me consistent with measurements of ancient blades and intended usage. I am fairly confidant that the sword's tip would perform admirably against its intended medium with both cut and thrust by virtue of its geometery.

Now, you won't see me trying to thrust through rivetted maille or a bronze helm with this sword, but I rather doubt that this would have been something an ancient wielder would have done, either. Wink
David McElrea

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Nathan,

Excellent reply Happy Thanks very much for putting everything into context-- also helpful to have the Llyn Cerrig Bach blades to show the appropriate blade geometry.

I look forward to getting the rest of the stats when you are able.

Again... a stunning piece.

Thanks,

David
Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OL: 34.75"
POB: about 6.75"
COP: right around 17-18" (this was difficult to discern. The blade is quite rigid, and any vibration stops very quickly)

So David, are you looking to have her sibling made for ya? Big Grin

Craig did mention this was one of his favorites to make.
David McElrea

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb, 2004 5:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Nathan,

At the moment I have an Albion Baron on order, and am also eyeing up the Solingen. Financial constraints mean I have to be careful in the decisions I make at this time, but I have always wanted to find (and own) a finely made Celtic blade. Having looked at the Hod Hill sword, I could only be impressed, Although I would normally lean towards subtle beauty over and against ostentation, this sword works-- the decorations fit perfectly with the overall feeling of the sword. I'm quite taken with it, really.

So yes, my reason for asking after the stats was because I am feeling sorely tempted to purchase it… but even then, I will have to wait a bit. I just like to be able to forward-plan Big Grin

My other reason to wait would be because of Peter Johnssons and Albion’s plans to produce the NG La Tene II swords (as discussed in another thread). And I confess I am still hoping someone, somewhere will do a decent Irish Iron-Age sword-- something with character, and preferably a bit of length to it. But that last one may be a pipe dream, short of getting a custom job done.

Yours,

David

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Q for Nathan Bell
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic