Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion's new prices Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
B. Stark
Industry Professional

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Tue 06 Feb, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Griggs wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Unfortunately things likes the price increases we've recently seen are going to be a fact of life for the foreseeable future. I know a lot of small business owners and the costs on nearly everything have skyrocketed over the last year. Prices on everything from electricity to materials have increased anywhere from 100% to 500%. When I look at the figures and margins it makes me glad I don't have that cross to bare. Sometimes being a state employee has its advantages.

Yep. Copper used to run me $1.99 to $2.10 a pound. Sometime around September or October it jumped up to $5.00 or more a pound, depending on thickness. This hit me just as I ordered 2500#. Do the math. I still can't stand up straight.

1.5 tons of copper? What ever for? Do you make your own electrical wire. Are you a plumber?

"Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd"
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Tue 06 Feb, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

B. Stark wrote:
Greg Griggs wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Unfortunately things likes the price increases we've recently seen are going to be a fact of life for the foreseeable future. I know a lot of small business owners and the costs on nearly everything have skyrocketed over the last year. Prices on everything from electricity to materials have increased anywhere from 100% to 500%. When I look at the figures and margins it makes me glad I don't have that cross to bare. Sometimes being a state employee has its advantages.

Yep. Copper used to run me $1.99 to $2.10 a pound. Sometime around September or October it jumped up to $5.00 or more a pound, depending on thickness. This hit me just as I ordered 2500#. Do the math. I still can't stand up straight.

1.5 tons of copper? What ever for? Do you make your own electrical wire. Are you a plumber?

Sorry, don't mean to be a math smarta** but isn't that 1 1/4 tons. :-)
Jonathan Harton

PostPosted: Tue 06 Feb, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I applaud Albion for being straight up with the sword community about the increase and making the offer they did. The rise in materials is hurting everyone all around. Regardless, there are few people I would rather give my money to than Albion.
Hopefully I'll actually have enough money to give them for a Bayeux soon....

Last edited by Jonathan Harton on Tue 06 Feb, 2007 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
B. Stark
Industry Professional

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Tue 06 Feb, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryce Felperin wrote:
Sorry, don't mean to be a math smarta** but isn't that 1 1/4 tons. :-)

Sure.

"Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd"
P Ballou

PostPosted: Tue 06 Feb, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just checked with Ryan at Kult of Athena, and he says if you get your order in before he has a chance to update his web site, he'll honor the lower Albion prices. I assume this would only be for items he has in stock. His pricing is always a little better than Albion's anyway, and free shipping too, so right now it looks like some very good deals could be had. I see he has another Discerner in stock...
Joey Marmorato

PostPosted: Tue 06 Feb, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I also appreciate the fact that they gave us a month's notice before implementing the increase, but it was obviously a good business move as well. They surely knew all of us would get in gear and make those purchases before the prices went up.

I broke down and ordered a Liechtenauer on the 4th. Big Grin

ARMA Free Scholar
Study Group Coordinator
ARMA Atlanta
Douglas G.

PostPosted: Tue 06 Feb, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I bit on an Allectus, and I'm gladii did (apologies in advance) to take the place of my Rheingonheim. I got it because
I like the furniture on the Allectus better, and Christian Fletcher makes a scabbard for them.

Doug G.

"Mayonnaise. What the French have in place of a state religion" G.B. Shaw
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Tue 06 Feb, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P Ballou wrote:
I just checked with Ryan at Kult of Athena, and he says if you get your order in before he has a chance to update his web site, he'll honor the lower Albion prices. I assume this would only be for items he has in stock. His pricing is always a little better than Albion's anyway, and free shipping too, so right now it looks like some very good deals could be had. I see he has another Discerner in stock...

Drat. Could have saved some cash and some time it seems... ah well.

In any case, congratulations to Albion, and best of luck with Arn! I'd not previously heard of the film before, but find myself rather suddenly excited about it.

I might suggest, however, that it would be a nice thought for Albion to remove the "2-3/3-6 week delivery" notices from their site, at least for the time being.
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
When I look at the figures and margins it makes me glad I don't have that cross to bear. Sometimes being a state employee has its advantages.

Amen to that.

Those are a lot of strange numbers, though. Almost like they raised prices just enough to cover the increase in material costs, but didn't keep going up to the next number that looked pretty. That was nice of them.

Oh well. I'm saving money like a fiend over here, so I'll still be able to buy almost everything that really mattered on my list. On the bright side, some people are dealing with huge price increases on things that aren't nearly as cool as swords.

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P Ballou wrote:

The old Albion prices are still up at Christian Fletcher's site.
Greg Griggs

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

B. Stark wrote:

Gaskets - mainly for the natural gas compression industry. We buy sheet copper, aluminum, steel, and stainless in different thicknesses to manufacture power cylinder head, compressor valve, and exhaust sealing devices.

Personally, I don't see how any business in the U.S. couldn't raise their prices after all the cost-of-business increases over the past 12 months. And it's only going to get worse for all the changes likely posed by the new congress.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Griggs wrote:

Gaskets - mainly for the natural gas compression industry. We buy sheet copper, aluminum, steel, and stainless in different thicknesses to manufacture power cylinder head, compressor valve, and exhaust sealing devices.

Personally, I don't see how any business in the U.S. couldn't raise their prices after all the cost-of-business increases over the past 12 months. And it's only going to get worse for all the changes likely posed by the new congress.

What is really affecting things is oil prices. For example the actual amount of steel for each sword is minimal, several pounds at most so the big price increase is not likely to be there. Transportation and power seems to be increasing significantly. 18 months ago I got a Regent shipped to me in New Zealand for about US$85. My new Knight is costing something like US$165 to get shipped to me, basically twice the shipping price!!!!! With exchange rate flucuations and subsequent increases in cost the Knight is costing me about the same as my Regent to get it to my front door (approximately NZ$1,500 once our Goods & Services Tax is paid) and although there was a special price on the Regent at the time, the actual cost in US$ between the swords themselves was still quite a lot.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Blair wrote:
Joel Chesser wrote:
I kind of figure when one is talking about spending $600 or more for a sword, a 70 dollar or so price increase is not that big of a difference.

Actually, when you have to scrimp and save every nickel, dime, and penny to afford a $600 sword, a $70 increase is a lot.

I hear you there, I am at the point where I'm almost scrimping and saving for windlass pieces.

..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Mon 12 Feb, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I am finally out of the "Sword" buyers market for at least 12 months as agreed upon with my wife. My very last sword was a hand and a half primarily a thrusting longsword with as much of an awl type point tip decision acquisition.
it came down to two swords the Talhoffer by Albion and the Black Prince with a custom awl point by Arms & Armor. It took me almost 3 months to settle on the Black Prince. What does this have to do with the thread? The fact that "Price" did not play a role in my decision! Even though they are closely price matched, that is just the way it played out.
For me it comes down to "Hey Bob do you Love the Sword?"

My Vassal for instance, when I first saw the concept art, to be totally honest I did not even think about the price, I just "Knew" that I had to have This Sword no matter what! Then I saw that it was $1,000.00 looked at the concept art again and said to myself, this is a fair price! Gave the money to Ryan over at Kult of Athena and waited for the sword to go ino production. Bought my Berserkr there too which was $900.00. Now these swords are $1,110.00 and $999.00 respectively. If I did not yet own them and was still in the "Sword" buyers market, I'd buy both of them in a heartbeat at their present price!
Why? Because I Love these swords, they both have complex blades, they both execute magnificently!
They are the next thing to custom swords at far lower prices Exclamation

Much better to have the prices go up than the quality go down! And take the Vassal Falchion at the previous price of
$1,000.00, OK so now it's another $110.00 but look at the geometry on this sword Exclamation

Quality costs money.

Bob
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Mon 12 Feb, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:

Much better to have the prices go up than the quality go down!
Bob

Amen to that. I would much rather see Albion raising their prices rather than sacrificing attention to detail and their overall quality.

www.addisondelisle.com

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion's new prices
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: