Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New MRL Type XIV Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jan, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Jean Henri Chandler wrote:
Well, we are talking MRL, not Albion... (and were talking under $300) I think it's a definate improvement over say, this one

http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/eCat/s...sword.aspx

J

But we know that MRL can do better, so it isn't a matter of financial limitation. As for the example you cite here, that seems to be one of their better recent offerings ("better" in this context meaning it's based on a documented original sword). I look forward to seeing that one steeply discounted.

I guess it really is a matter of taste, that 'German bastard sword' has the 'sharpened crowbar' look to me, the newer one looks at least in the ballpark of being something you could actually use in a fight, ricasso or no.

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jan, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Henri Chandler wrote:
My god, what a beast! And it's the same size as the MRL version?

J

Oakeshott illustrated this weapon or an identical one in his European Weapons & Armour: From the Renaissance to the Industrial Revolution. That awful hilt finish must go.... I'm not crazy about the funky hexagonal blade section, but it's not as bad as some, and may represent at least an attempt at an historical type.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jan, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard Fay wrote:
Oh, one other point, wouldn't the ridge section of the Type XIV in the Metropolitan Museum of Art be raised as compared to the fuller section? Since the fuller is a depression, and the ridge a rise, I think there would have to be some thickening at the point where fuller gives way to ridge, wouldn't there? It's hard to interpret a sword just from a photo, but the fuller looks "lower" and the ridge "higher", if you know what I mean. Just a thought! Wink

Stay safe!

Richard you are correct if the blade is first ground as a full length diamond section, but if instead imagine it being ground initially with a flat where the fuller is later ground: The thickness of the flat being as thick as the spine of the diamond section.
Then if the fuller is ground into this flat leaving the ridge line as high as the spine you wouldn't get the reinforced point effect.
( Note: The fuller could be ground in first or after the distal taper but in period the sword would probably be forged before any grinding. Oh, and grinding from flat bar stock in the modern context wouldn't be done in period I'm 99% sure. )

Now one might want a very small thickening of the point but it's different if it just happens sort of by accident.

Oh, and I also think that we shouldn't be too critical of decent but lower end swords.
( But still worth discussing design in itself )

I will also agree with Chad that it seems like MRL uses the same approach of diamond sections for everything and they probably use the same basic steel stock thickness for almost everything ? ( Or only a couple of thicknesses like 3/16" or 1/4" )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New MRL Type XIV
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: