Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Weapons pictured in stained glass windows in York Minster Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Colin F.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: Weapons pictured in stained glass windows in York Minster         Reply with quote

Thought this picture might be of interest to some of you Happy

I took these photos early last summer whilst I was in York and I was wondering if anyone had any idea of what weapons might be shown in this picture. There doesn't seem to be any way to tell of what the weapons are made of, but it appears to be some sort of duel within a ring of some kind.

anyways, heres the picture, sorry for the slight blur.

Melchett - "In short, a German spy is giving away every one of our battle plans."
Cpt. Darling - "You look surprised, Blackadder."
Edmund - "I cerainly am, sir. I didn't realise we had any battle plans."
Brad Harada

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe it may be a depiction of a judicial duel. I recall seeing a similar picture in which the combatants are armed with a double headed pick like weapon and a rectangular shield fitted with a central boss (which I'd imagine would look very much like what's shown in the stained glass).
Merv Cannon

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Judicial Combat weapons         Reply with quote

Collin & Brad...........Any rough idea on the date of these weapons or the stained glass ? Any other pics or drawings would be nice too( anyone?)
Thanks

Merv ....... KOLR
http://www.lionrampant.com.au/

"Then let slip the dogs of war ! "......Woof !
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Judicial Combat weapons         Reply with quote

Merv Cannon wrote:
Collin & Brad...........Any rough idea on the date of these weapons or the stained glass ? Any other pics or drawings would be nice too( anyone?)
Thanks

Construction of the current Minster began in around 1360 (around remaining components of the old Norman Minster, which were still in use). The Minster was consecrated in 1472. At that point, the western towers were the only part of the building that had not been completed. So, it seems the stained glass windows would have been completed between those dates (though some or all of the windows have been restored since then).

The scene looks like it might be a part of the Great East Window, but the picture I have does not show all of the 117 panels that make up the window, so I can't be sure. If it is part of the Great East Window, we know that it was made over the period of 1405 - 1408.

[ps edit - my source is a pamphlet entitled, York Minster, published by The Pritkin Guide (?), Authorised by the Dean & Chapter. I purchased this pamphlet at York Minster in December, 2003.]

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch

Last edited by Steve Grisetti on Sun 28 Jan, 2007 11:39 am; edited 2 times in total
Terry Crain

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jan, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,

Certainly seems clear to me they are dueling with some type of Uruk-hai swords of Isenguard manufacture. Didn't the movies depict some beserker types with swords ending in double right-angle spikes? They were two handed though...

Saruman's oricish minions duking it out for the entertainment of the white hand....

On the other hand, getting back to reality, I seem to recall something about mock combats fought with bucklers and whalebone swords. Perhaps that is what is depicted. Sounds as plausible as shield and pick-type weapon to me.

Sorry its late...

Cheers,

Terry Crain
A/K/A
Donal Grant

Honor, not Honors!
Brad Harada

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jan, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A tile from Chertsey Abbey depicting a judicial combat. Here's the link:
http://people.wcslc.edu/faculty/mmarkowski/ceramics/med/cer9.html

And an image of the tile:

Attachment: 67.95 KB
Chertsey Abbey duel.JPG

Colin F.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jan, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've got a picture with the caption next to it...but not on this computer!!! Grrrr....

I'll have a check tommorrow and see if I can make out was it says, then I can give you a better answer as to the dates, although I think Steve's information might give us a pretty good idea of when the window was done.

Anywho, I'll see what I can find out about the dates...

cheers!

Melchett - "In short, a German spy is giving away every one of our battle plans."
Cpt. Darling - "You look surprised, Blackadder."
Edmund - "I cerainly am, sir. I didn't realise we had any battle plans."
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jan, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Please note that I edited my post, above, regarding the age of the York Minster stained glass windows, in order to identify the source of my information.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Weapons pictured in stained glass windows in York Minster
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic