Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Thoughts on Generation 2 swords? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jan, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gather I'm not going to get to hear more about the training sword then?
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Clyde Hollis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 02 Feb, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OK Chad,

I really took a long hard look at the Dordogne sword drawing and have sent some drawings with arrows at certain places to our Generation 2 foundry.
When I get the re-made proto-type back and have pictures taken I will post.

I also took some suggestions from a few people on the Ranger sword, I also have some changes being done there as well.

I can't wait to see the samples when they arrive. Laughing Out Loud

I also look forward to the feed back once the pictures are posted. Big Grin Wink
Richard Fay

Reading list: 256 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 02 Feb, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Clyde Hollis wrote:

I really took a long hard look at the Dordogne sword drawing and have sent some drawings with arrows at certain places to our Generation 2 foundry.

Hi Clyde! Happy

I know I'm not Chad, but I hope you don't mind if I chime in here. I think it's terrific that you listened to what people observed and are trying to make an even better product. That's great! That was my hope, at least, when I tried to describe in detail how the replica differed from the drawing. I for one wasn't trying to be critical, just give you some constructive criticism.

Keep striving for better! Wink

Stay safe!

"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did! I'm going to recite poetry!"
Prince Andrew of Armar
Clyde Hollis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 02 Feb, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard Fay wrote:
Clyde Hollis wrote:

Hi Clyde! Happy

I know I'm not Chad, but I hope you don't mind if I chime in here. I think it's terrific that you listened to what people observed and are trying to make an even better product. That's great! That was my hope, at least, when I tried to describe in detail how the replica differed from the drawing. I for one wasn't trying to be critical, just give you some constructive criticism.

Keep striving for better! Wink

Stay safe!

Yes and thank you also Richard.

It will not take long to be completed but I have to wait until our current order is complete before they can work on my changes.
Still have to pay the bills you know. Worried
Richard Fay

PostPosted: Fri 02 Feb, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Clyde Hollis wrote:
Still have to pay the bills you know. Worried

Oh, I know! Sad

That's why I would like to see what you can come up with, I might eventually be a customer. I personally would like to see some nicer budget swords out there.

Stay safe, and thanks for listening! Happy

Prince Andrew of Armar
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 02 Feb, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Hopkins wrote:
Yes! I wish I had the skills to lay the lines from the drawing over a photo of the Dordogne, but sice I don't, here is a side by side.
(SFI deja vu.)

A quick hack, lining up the drawing more or less with the guard and blade....

Attachment: 27.96 KB
superimposed.jpg

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 02 Feb, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So about that practice sword...
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
J F. McBrayer

PostPosted: Sat 03 Feb, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:

I'm also interested to hear if anyone has handled one of these.
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sat 03 Feb, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The only Generation 2 sword I've handled was their '12th century sword.' Though I thought it was a tad overweight (their description of the weight says "under 3.5 pounds") it handled very well with the limited dry handling I was able to do with it. I last saw it for $219 on swordarmory.com, an online retailer that does not charge for shipping. Big Grin

IMHO, Generation 2 swords are very good for their price range; I have yet to come across one I don't like.

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 03 Feb, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Website only gives the following:

German Two Handed Practice Sword
Blade length: 38 1/8"
Handle/Hilt length: 10 1/2"
Overall: 49 1/8"
Balance Point: 4" Below Hilt
Weight: 4 lbs. 3 oz

Giving not much more information than this about training weapons seems to be pretty common practice. I checked several company websites before making this post just to be sure. Its a somewhat unfortunate norm in my opinion, because I think edge thickness matters in a steel raining tool. Espcially when I intend to swing the tool at a training partner.

myArmoury does give edge thickness measurements on its reviews of two Arms & Armor training tools. Along the length of the blade even. I'd really like to get that information on the Gen 2 trainer.

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 03 Feb, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Clyde Hollis wrote:

Clyde,
I think it's fantastic to see that some tweaks on the way. I'm looking forward to seeing the new proto-type. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Richard Fay

PostPosted: Sun 04 Feb, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Clyde Hollis wrote:

I also took some suggestions from a few people on the Ranger sword, I also have some changes being done there as well.

I can't wait to see the samples when they arrive. Laughing Out Loud

I also look forward to the feed back once the pictures are posted. Big Grin Wink

Hi Clyde! Happy

I had one other thought regarding any adjustments you make to the Dordogne sword. I should have thought about this sooner, but all the focus seemed to be on the hilt. If you adjust the amount of thickness in the cross, I assume that you will be reducing the weight of the cross by a bit. You may have to make minor adjustments to the blade as well if the current balance point and centre of percussion are appropriate on the current replica. You can't make changes to the mass of one part without changes the properties of the whole.

Where are the point of balance and the centre of percussion currently on your replica? Do you want them to remain approximately the same in your adjusted replica? If you do, and you take some mass off the cross, you may have to adjust the blade by giving it slightly more taper, or otherwise tweak the mass of the blade. It's a bit like a balance scale; take weight off one end, and the other end drops. Assuming that your balance point is just below the cross on the blade, take some weight off the cross, and the balance point will probably move a bit towards the point of the blade.

I've never personally dealt with these things, perhaps the makers here could give you a better idea of what I'm talking about, but I think it's simply a matter of physics. One adjustment may change the overall properties of the handling of the sword. I just thought I would mention this, so you can keep it in mind.

Good luck, and stay safe! Happy

Prince Andrew of Armar
Garrett L. Hammonds

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: generation 2         Reply with quote

I actually own a generation 2 sword it works very well, and can stand up to just about anything i put it through, its not the most histrorically accurate sword i have seen but it works well for what i use it for Happy
FOR KING AND COUNTRY
Mike Harris

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:

Joe,

I finally got to try out one of Clyde's practice swords. It is quite a handful as far as length. It feels somewhat similar to my first generation Albion Crecy, but the blade is significantly more flexible (as a training sword must be). It definitely has a blade presence, more like a great sword than a fast-handling longsword preferred for German or Italian longsword play.

I liked the way it handled pretty well. The one thing that would cause me to be reluctant about using this sword for live sparring with a partner is the edge. I think I would best describe the edge as an unsharpened sword instead of a blunt. I would guess the dull edge is about 50% thicker than an unsharpened MRL Windlass sword.

If I bought one of these I would further dull the edge by removing about .050" from each edge. This would also likely remove a slight bit of the "blade heavy" feel and might make a really good blunt for longsword training.
Mike Harris

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
The only Generation 2 sword I've handled was their '12th century sword.' Though I thought it was a tad overweight (their description of the weight says "under 3.5 pounds") it handled very well with the limited dry handling I was able to do with it. I last saw it for $219 on swordarmory.com, an online retailer that does not charge for shipping. Big Grin

IMHO, Generation 2 swords are very good for their price range; I have yet to come across one I don't like.

I recently recieved one of the Gen2 12th Century Norman swords from the most recent batch. Clyde has made a few changes to the hilt that are obvious in this picture. Note the slight tapering of the grip and the significant reduction in the thickness of the guard front-to-back.

IMO Clyde still has a little way to go with improvements to the guard and pommel, but the more I handle and cut with this sword the more I like it. Just about the only changes I would make to this one is to thin the guard from side-to-side and make the pommel thicker and heavier to counterbalance the fairly heavy blade. I think this sword could be significantly improved even more if Clyde changes to a guard thickness and pommel similar in configuration to the Albion Count shown below for comparison.

Garrett L. Hammonds

PostPosted: Sat 26 May, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

? Which one did you say was the new one? the one on the right or left? Question
FOR KING AND COUNTRY
Mike Harris

PostPosted: Mon 28 May, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Garrett L. Hammonds wrote:
? Which one did you say was the new one? the one on the right or left? Question

Sorry for the confusion. The sword on the right is the new version of the Gen2 12th Century Norman. The sword on the left is an Albion Count.

To clarify, I think the Gen2 Norman would benefit from a thicker pommel and a trimmer guard similar to those on the Albion Count in the picture.
Rob MacL.

PostPosted: Tue 29 May, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know this is a little off topic from the way this thread has headed, but as for overall Generation 2 quality, I recently purchased the Generation 2 "River Witham" Viking Sword, and was quite frankly shocked at how attractive it was and how well it handled for its price range. While I am not educated enough to talk about the historical accuracy or the fine points of the handling of the sword, it definately "feels" better than most of the lower end swords I have handled, especially compared to weight. The copper lozenge inserts were very well done, and IMHO the sword looks very nice hanging on the wall. Happy

Attachment: 86.47 KB
sword.JPG

Ian Chin

PostPosted: Sun 30 Dec, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: generation 2 Excalibur wanted         Reply with quote

whilst on the subject of Generation 2 swords. Does anyone know where I can purchase the Generation 2 Excalibur sword? I know that they stopped making these back in 2006. Perhaps oneday they may produce these swords again.

Anyhow, I'm on the lookout for one, so if anyone knows of one going. It would greatly appreciated.

Ian

Attachment: 11.52 KB
ip-035.jpg

Grayson C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 30 Dec, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good news Ian!

Several forumites (inculding myself) over at the SBG sword forum have gotten together and gathered enough support for Clyde to start remaking the gen2 excalibur. Only a few catched though, none are too significant

1.) The sword, brought back with solid brass fittings, would cost $500 due to the price of brass
2.) Brass plating might work if it is accepted by the people who want it back.
3.) Copper plating has proven bad SO FAR

Anyways, this is all tentative news, probably best to go check it out over at SBG.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Thoughts on Generation 2 swords?
Page 4 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: