Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Spadroons and their methods of use? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
D Critchley

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Hopkins wrote:
Glen A Cleeton wrote:
I agree about the Discriminating General's (MH) 1796 officer's blade. I wish they had a picture up for the sargeants blade but all they have up is one of the drummer's length
http://www.militaryheritage.com/images/1796d1.jpg

That looks a little better but I'd want a picture of the longer version before jumping. The fuller on my slot hilt runs right up to the point.

Yes, the blade on the DG 1796 Officer's Sword looks like it was borrowed from a British 1854 Pattern Infantry Officer's Sword. The fullers on my 1796 run the length of the blade, as do the fullers on your spadroon, Glen. I also agree that unless I decide to pursue learning the use of the spadroon, I will spend my money on originals instead of replicas.

Jonathan

The Macdonald Armouries blades look to be inspired by the French style of spadroon Jonathan, you do get these tall blocks on british ones but not often, and they usually date from the late 1770s - so a little early for the English "Adam" style pommel (but not impossible).

The DG blades are quite dreadful, and as you say are simply 1845 "Latham" blades straigtened. Whilst there is an NCO plain spadroon (i.e. no acanthus molding on the hilt, copper wire etc.) There is no official drummers spadroon, thats a DG marketing thing it seems. The only pattern that has this shortened variant for musicians is the 1798 Highland Inf.

There are a few weights and measurements of originals here if anyone is interested.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tx1192000/al.../my_photos

David C

"The purpose of the cavalry on the battlefield is to give tone to an event that otherwise might be considered a common brawl"
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David,
I am glad to have your knowledge here--thanks for the additional information.

Jonathan
D Critchley

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:

Edited because I wasn't reading Draper's ad copy. It is other vendors that sell both gold and silver plate versions. I'm not drawn to the fittings on these.

I just had another look at the Draper sword The hilt dimensions are a bit wrong, but nice etching/ engraving ...... Pity they did it upside down !! Surprised As with any Georgian sword decoration it should be the right way up when held point uppermost.

David C

"The purpose of the cavalry on the battlefield is to give tone to an event that otherwise might be considered a common brawl"
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jan, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting collection of images.

BTW, does anybody know what is the upper weight and breadth limit for known spadroons, taking into acoount possible transitional forms between spadroons and broadswords?
D Critchley

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jan, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The spadroon blade is fairly standard in weight as a fighting sword. most are around or under 1 1/2 ibs. The heaviest being the 1796 Inf. examples due to the large brass hilt.

Even the 1st Foot Guards 1796 Inf. variant with the broadsword typeblade is well under 2 lbs usually.

David C

Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 26 Jan, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah. So even the heaviest versions are meant to be light and fast.

Thanks for the info!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Spadroons and their methods of use?
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: