Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A basket-hilt by Patrick BártaProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wanted to resurrect this thread to brag to everyone that this wonderful sword is now in my hot little hands. Nathan was wonderful enough to part with this beauty, and we struck a deal. It is simply one of the most gorgeous swords I've ever beheld, inside or outside of a museum. The attention to detail is absolutely outrageous. As Nathan mentioned, it handles like a dream for such a heavy sword, and I'm really looking forward to taking it out and smacking some desparadoes with it... or at least some pool noodles!. My horse will probably prefer I charge the pool noodles anyway...

So I wish to thank Nathan for being willing to part with such a gorgeous sword, and I'm sure to parade it around as much as humanly possible in the next few years until everyone tires of my bragging. Then I'll just wear it around. Cool

The pictures that Nathan took are wonderful. The sword in my hand is even nicer.

Cheers!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Gordon. I'm glad the sword went to someone who cal fully appreciate it. Sure looks like a keeper!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It was my visits and discussion with Gordon Frye about my Arms & Armor Dresden sword that led to my own interest in these large compound-hilted swords in the first place. I sold Gordon my Dresden set a couple years ago and he's put it to use on horseback and we've had quite a lot of talks about it. It's these talks and the posts he makes here on the site about calvary that led to my interest and a start of understanding of how these swords work and why they are made in the way they are. In fact, it's this very process that prompted me to get the Patrick Barta sword discussed here in the first place! I'm thrilled to have the sword go to Gordon. I know he'll put it to use in the way it was intended and I know that I'll get further info from his experiences with it. It just made sense.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A very hearty congratulations to you Gordon!

That is an exquisite weapon!
Greg Griggs

PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon,
You know the old saying: "He who brags first, brags loudest". Oh wait...that isn't right...... maybe it's "He who brags loudest gets it in the end!" Yeah, that's it! Wink Big Grin

Seriously, happy that you obtained such a fine sword from Nathan. Congrats and use it well!

-Greg

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon and Nathan, you both are just whetting my appetite for the Abingdon reproduction that I have ordered from Patrick. I have saved up hte money, but I am now at the 2 year mark in the 2 1/2 year backlog. The sword is number 118 in his catalog.
Hugh
Still trying to walk in the Light
Please see 1 John 1:5
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you, Gentlemen.

I am REALLY jazzed by this sword, and by it's heft and "feel". It just feels "right" in the hand, hard to describe it. But I'll know more this weekend! I promise!

I was really pumped up when Nathan posted this to the forum originally, as this basic sword had captured my heart way back when, probably a good 20-25 years ago when I first read through "Arms and Armour in Colonial America" by Harold L. Peterson (check it out in the Reading List). A VERY similar sword (it having only a slightly longer grip) to the Bárta sword is shown on page 85, and I've had the hots for it ever since. Then Nathan goes and posts that he has one... Eek! When he then says "Well, I might have to let it go" then all hell broke loose in my poor addled brain, and here we are. Big Grin

One of the things I've really been studying of late is late-16th through early-17th Century cavalry techniques, and the more I study, the more I see this sort of sword (or it's cousin the Dresden) as serious contenders in such battle play. They even got me to thinking about the reason for the oval hole in English "Dragoon" basket hilted broadswords. I've come up with several mentions of holding your sword in your bridle hand during the initial charge so you can discharge your pistols with your right hand. It seems as though it would be rather awkward to transfer from left to right if you're holding it by the grip with your left hand, so I believe that the rather open baskets allowed for fingers to be inserted by the left hand to this end. Fire pistol, return to holster, then grab the sword with it's grip conveniently situated to slip your hand straight in towards the grip, and "Viola!" Start smacking away at your opponents! The oval hole was similarly to give purchase to the left hand, rather than, as usually postulated, for threading the reins through. Just not enough time for that, I believe. But plenty for puting most of the fingers of the bridle hand into it, and holding it firmly while you fire pistols into your enemy's face.

But these swords, though definitely second to pistols in a fight, weren't to be discounted either! I can imagine that even with plate on, getting thumped with one of these would sting. And it's stiff, too: I have no doubt that you could find the chinks in the other fellow's armour without fear of it bending all out of whack. An unarmoured opponent would be toast.

At any rate, I am VERY happy with this sword. It gives me a whole new avenue of discovery, and of course, gives me some serious bragging rights! What's funny is that my jousting pardner just bought a BEAUTIFUL Milanese Gothic suit from Czech Republic too. I think that between us we're doing some serious help to their economy... Cool

http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=70414

More later, rest assured!

Cheers!

Gordon

Chris Last

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 23 Mar, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Frye wrote:

One of the things I've really been studying of late is late-16th through early-17th Century cavalry techniques, and the more I study, the more I see this sort of sword (or it's cousin the Dresden) as serious contenders in such battle play. They even got me to thinking about the reason for the oval hole in English "Dragoon" basket hilted broadswords. I've come up with several mentions of holding your sword in your bridle hand during the initial charge so you can discharge your pistols with your right hand. It seems as though it would be rather awkward to transfer from left to right if you're holding it by the grip with your left hand, so I believe that the rather open baskets allowed for fingers to be inserted by the left hand to this end. Fire pistol, return to holster, then grab the sword with it's grip conveniently situated to slip your hand straight in towards the grip, and "Viola!" Start smacking away at your opponents! The oval hole was similarly to give purchase to the left hand, rather than, as usually postulated, for threading the reins through. Just not enough time for that, I believe. But plenty for puting most of the fingers of the bridle hand into it, and holding it firmly while you fire pistols into your enemy's face.

Idea That makes so much sense now! The original piece that we have is a cavalry blade has a more 'open' close hilt to it and by god that just makes sense. I have to see how that feels tonight with the piece. Wow Gordon, it feels like I just had an apostrophe! Happy

" Hang fires are all fun and games untill someone gets their eye poked out... by charging calvary." - J.Shoemaker

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
http://www.gsmbristol.org
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Fri 23 Mar, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris;

Big Grin Wow, maybe I'm on to something here... Amazing, what? Eek!

Do let me know if there's sufficient room in that horseman's sword's "rein hole" (or whatever it's called) to stuff your hand into. That will be interesting. Exclamation

Cheers!

Gordon

Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri 23 Mar, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon,
Is this what you are proposing? If so, the I agree! (Thanks, Mac!)

Jonathan

Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Fri 23 Mar, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mac;

PREEEEECISELY! Seems I'm not the first to figure this one out... and hmmm... looks like a familiar photo! The old brain must have been mulling this around for a while, and came up with it as my own invention. Oh well! Worried

Thanks for posting that, you certainly validated my idea!

Cheers!

Gordon

Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri 23 Mar, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think that what we can learn from your experience and insights is that the more open guards of earlier basket hilts were more conducive to managing reins, pistol, and sword (cavalry multi-tasking) than were the later more closed basket hilts, which required an oval "cut-out" to perfrom the same action.

Best,
Jonathan

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A basket-hilt by Patrick BártaProduct Review
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: