Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > XII century nasal helm on exhibit in Italy - first time Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jan, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: XII century nasal helm on exhibit in Italy - first time         Reply with quote

I paid another visit to museo Marzoli in Brescia today just to discover that a new helmet has been added to a vitrine.

To my surprise I saw a "norman" XII century nasal helm still in decent conditions.

One piece construction, nasal broken and (badly) reassembled , an extremely rare piece unassumingly exhibited among ordinary celtic age helmets.

Please notice that each quality pic is more than 500k in weight.

Permissions to use this images for educational purposes are granted solely to the webmaster of www.myArmoury.com.

http://bghomofaber.googlepages.com/nasale_nuovo_esposizione.jpg

http://bghomofaber.googlepages.com/nasale_e_3.jpg

http://bghomofaber.googlepages.com/nasale_esposizione_n_2.jpg
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jan, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: XII century nasal helm on exhibit in Italy - first time         Reply with quote

Thanks for posting these photos, Bruno.

Bruno Giordan wrote:
... One piece construction, nasal broken and (badly) reassembled ....

The material on the nasal seems very thin, significantly thinner than on the main body of the helm. So, I have the impression that the break in the nasal was due to age/corrosion and possibly an error in handling the helm, rather than combat damage. Do you concur?

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jan, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: XII century nasal helm on exhibit in Italy - first time         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Thanks for posting these photos, Bruno.

Bruno Giordan wrote:
... One piece construction, nasal broken and (badly) reassembled ....

The material on the nasal seems very thin, significantly thinner than on the main body of the helm. So, I have the impression that the break in the nasal was due to age/corrosion and possibly an error in handling the helm, rather than combat damage. Do you concur?

As far as I understand it is an excavated piece, I spent a fair amount of time looking at it, as you may understand.

The broken part is reassembled with a graysh glue, the restorer did a bad work since it now bends rightward.

This happened because it was extremely corroded in the nasal area, where boundaries went frayed extensively, much material was eroded.

As of mishandling, yes, i attended just a few archeological excavations as a young volunteer, yes, the moment of unearthing may kill an age old artifact, especially if the "rescuer" is, as it often happens, a young volunteer.

It should be a very old finding, since thi collection wa assembled in the fifties of the XX century by a local industrialists.
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jan, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Nasal Helm         Reply with quote

Thanks Bruno

This is a particularly nice example of this type of helmet and one that I have not seen before, as far as I know. Sometimes you realize you have been looking at a sketch of a piece for years when you actually see the original and then get interested in it.

Couple of interesting aspects to this piece that I would point out in an examination of it.

One the overall shape. This is a bit taler in the crest and not extremely pointed as they are often depicted. Certainly some did have this sharp peak but I think this is probably an excellent example of the more "sugarloaf" shape that probably predominated in period.

The holes punched around the lower edge would be the next thing. This is a very nice example of the quality of holes one often finds on armor. These would have been done for any internal lining or suspension system to anchor to or/and the addition of a reinforcing or decorative brow band. The punching of holes is much faster and efficient a method of construction than drilling and can be done with a hammer and punch. It often results in an irregular shaped hole and one can see a beveling to the edges as opposed to clean pass through holes.

The last would be as Steve has so rightly noticed the thickness of material. We often over estimate how heavy the material was on period pieces. Often times the edge bevel applied to many pieces of period armor or as in this case the beveling of the interior of a hole in the armor makes it difficult to judge the thickness. Perspective is a crucial thing to understand when looking at armor pictures and trying to transfer it to a three dimensional object.

Again Bruno Thank you for a great find.

Best
Craig
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jan, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this Bruno.

While this helmet may not be as fancy or elaborate as many of the peices of armor we see posted here, it is perhaps one of the most important. Surviving helmets of this kind are in the distinct minority so anytime an example is found it can be significant. As has already been mentioned, there are some distinct design features that are very interesting.
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Sun 07 Jan, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You are all welcome, it was not a big trip, I don't live that far away..

My next serious trip will likely be Churburg (couple of hours by motorway or less).

Living here I can stumble into the middle age every day (some months ago I discovered a rare surviving simple span bridge from the late middle age, still intact, with a nearby XII century church to boot.

This in the middle of a ghastly looking industrial area ...

I still remember the day I had a walk inside an almost dry river during a drought, well, I stumbled into a well preserved trunk canoe.

At least from the middle age, design was prehistorical. A the local museum they were not happy since preservation is extremely costly....

Back to the helm: from a german webpage I have found a german companion to this helm, it seems to belong to the same substyle.

Attachment: 19.13 KB
ostrow_lednicki_helm_front2_891.jpg

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > XII century nasal helm on exhibit in Italy - first time
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic