Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Chinese broadsword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael Bergeron

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Chinese broadsword         Reply with quote

I have been looking around lately on google, altavista and yahoo but cannot seem to find what im looking for.

Can anyone tell me or show me with pictures the authentic ways of wearing a chinese broadsword either on the hip or strapped to the back?

Thanks for the help.
Richard Fay

Reading list: 256 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all!

I don't know if any of the statues wear swords, but a good resource for ancient Chinese armour is the terracotta army of Emperor Qin Shihuang. Qin Shihuang, First Emperor of China, died in 210 BC and was buried in a massive tomb amid sacrifices and many objects, including 8,000 life-size figures representing men and horse of his army. Some may has once held swords, but I don't know if they still have belts and scabbards. It might be worth trying to find some images of these statues, though.

I would take this source with a grain of salt, but in Warriors & Weapons 3000 BC to AD 1700 in Colour by Niels M. Saxtorph shows a colour plate by Stig Bramsen of Chinese warriors from 1 AD-1700 AD. One warrior is turned so you can see the scabbard fro his "machete-like" sword; it is attached to a waist belt with a looped strap. It hangs at an angle, similar in style to the way a European sword might be worn. Again, I don't know how accurate this depiction is, but it's something.

You might try to look at period Chinese art to give you an idea. In Time-Life's Time Frame AD 1300-1400 The Age of Calamity, I found a photo of a sculpture from the Spirit Road, the gently curving way guarded by colossal sculptures that led to the tombs of the emperors. The sculpture in question is clad in the garb of a senior Ming general. He holds a mace in his right hand, and his left hand is on the hilt of his sword. The sword appears to be attached to a waist belt by a strap (or straps) that connect to the scabbard via rings attached to lockets, or something similar (it's hard to tell exactly from a photo). Again, it is suspended at an angle, just like European swords. What was shown in the colour plate in Warriors & Weapons 3000 BC to AD 1700 may be a simplified depiction of just such a suspension.

I hope this little bit helped!

Stay safe!

"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did! I'm going to recite poetry!"
Prince Andrew of Armar
Richard Fay

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello again!

Since a picture's worth a thousand words, here's the photo from Time-Life's Time Frame AD 1300-1400 The Age of Calamity of the warrior sculpture from China's Spirit Road. (Of course, a picture's worth a thousand dirty looks in my house - I have to cut out pages to scan them in my scanner, and my wife's none too happy about me cutting up my books! I only do this to some books, not my more treasured volumes.)

Enjoy!

Attachment: 36.12 KB
Warrior from the Spirit Road.JPG
Warrior sculpture from China's Spirit Road.

Prince Andrew of Armar
Richard Fay

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello again!

I actually did some searching for Qin Shihuang's Terracotta Army. I found this interesting site, with a slideshow showing the excavations and many of the artifacts found there:

http://www.mc.maricopa.edu/dept/d10/asb/anthr...lide1.html

I didn't see any belts or scabbards depicted on the warriors, but it might be of interest to anyone interested in Chinese arms & armour.

I hope this wasn't too far off topic.

Prince Andrew of Armar
Torsten F.H. Wilke

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard, you definately caught my attention with this snippet;
Quote:
-I have to cut out pages to scan them in my scanner, and...

One could regard that as both frightening and humerous. I would hate to see what might happen with a suit of armour in your possesion, if it became the object of scrutiny here on the forums, lol. Keep up the good work, we all like perusing the stuff you post... Happy
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese broadsword         Reply with quote

Michael Bergeron wrote:
I have been looking around lately on google, altavista and yahoo but cannot seem to find what im looking for.

Can anyone tell me or show me with pictures the authentic ways of wearing a chinese broadsword either on the hip or strapped to the back?

Thanks for the help.

When you say "Chinese Broadsword" are you referring to the large civilian weapon (Oxtail saber) that is often associated with modern Chinese martial arts or are you referrring to the willowleaf and goosequill sabers that were carried by Chinese military troops?

I have some photos of the military style sabers being carried.

Edit: I found the thread on SFI. There are several illustrations as well as a link that leads to a large number of excellent illustrations.

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t...ustrations

Michael Bergeron

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thanks for everyone's help with the information.

@ Chris L: The third picture is the style of saber i have.

I was confused because the scabbard is made like a taco that you just kind of lay the broadsword in because of the curving and thickening blade. There are 2 rings which is how it is attached to the hip i see from the picture

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Chinese broadsword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic