Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Holiday Acquisitions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jan, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
... Steve, congratulations on a nice little haul there Happy

WOW Exclamation I have managed to collect so many books and therefore have so much reading to get done that it is ridiculous! Laughing Out Loud ....

Thanks, but, as with you, I now have a lot of reading to do!
Richard Fay wrote:
...I have Battles of the Dark Ages, Agincourt by Anne Curry, and Knights of Malta on order. I've heard a lot of buzz regarding the Anne Curry book here on the forum, so I thought I had better read it.

Another mention of Agincourt. I suppose that I will also succumb to the buzz and read up on that pivotal battle.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Douglas G.

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jan, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My family has a rule, no guns or edged weapons for Christmas, but in a stunningly loose
interpretation of the question I did get a totally tasteless interactive "Tour of Graceland"
pop up book. It isn't about the blades we admire, but it does have a real shiny lame cover. LOL
I did apply cash gifts received toward the purchase of a '73 Winchester repro with a
color case hardened receiver, which I hope I can pick up March/April.

To a New Year full of promise,
Doug Gentner
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jan, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jessen Klaus wrote:
I expanded my collection with a few new pieces this cristmas as a present for myself.
I havent had the time to taking proper fotos so these snapshots are the best I have ...

Jessen - you have some impressive pieces Cool . Please tell me that you didn't get ALL of them for this Christmas! Eek!

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jan, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
... hey steve, you were in Harpers Ferry? you were only about 2 hours from me Happy i passed thru that area a few days before Christmas to goto my mother in laws. which book store did you go to that had good stuff?

My wife hadn't been to Harpers Ferry since about 1975. We were in the DC area to visit my parents, and had an opportunity to visit the town again on Dec 22. If I'd known you were passing by, I would have waved to you Laughing Out Loud .

I find it interesting that the exhibits in Harpers Ferry don't have much in the way of arms display, considering that Harpers Ferry Arsenal was one of the two major arsenals in the US at the outbreak of "the war" (Civil War, War Between the States, War of Northern Aggression, the Late Unpleasantness, whatever you want to call it). I did see a nice little exhibit on the musket manufacturing process.

Anyway, in answer to your question about the bookstore, it is right on the main drag into the National Park area:
Harpers Ferry Books
170 High Street
Harpers Ferry, WVA
(304) 535-1862
harpersferrybooks.com
The gentleman that owns the shop has an eclectic selection, but has his books organized by subject area, so it didn't take me long to find the books that interested me. I enjoyed the shop, and, if I was passing through Harpers Ferry, I would try to stop in there again.

- Sir Toby Belch
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jan, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Douglas G. wrote:

I did apply cash gifts received toward the purchase of a '73 Winchester repro with a
color case hardened receiver, which I hope I can pick up March/April.

Something like this?

My acquisitions were mainly books this season, with Battle, Weapon and The Crusades being added to the library. The first half of ' 07 should be kind to the collection though.

Steve,

I have quite a few of those little knights myself.
Grayson C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got a LOT of money from my family to put towards my holiday present to myself - The Albion Ritter. Sadly most of the swords are on a 16 week backorder and I won't be getting mine until the end of march Sad Sad Sad

I also got a set of fencing equiptment so I don't have to keep using the grubby, used, sweaty stuff at my classes. Green handled foil.
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don't suppose it really counts as "Christmas" presents but they were bought around Christmas. Got an early 16th century elbow cop from a three piece arm harness and the four lowest lames of a left pauldron from the late 16th/17th century (found these in an antique dealers case labled "four plates of armour" for $40.00!).
Mike W

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not much per se, I did pick up a copy of Machiavelli's the art of war, as well as the year 1000 for general history reading. I'm also planning to use the money from various relatives as seed money for a custom project in the future, assuming school costs don't continue to grow.
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

After the Huge Spending Spree starting in August 2005 that started to slow down in the early summer of 2006 and finally became sane Eek! in October of 2006 Laughing Out Loud "Well, some money came my way and I had to get myself started in this obsession ya know and I had sword, weapon, attire, book and dvd fever really BAD Exclamation " Bought my wife stuff too though, an A & A Elector of Saxony Dagger with deluxe scabbard and a few other daggers and a thousand dollar period ensemble that is just gorgeous on her. Another new camera, Nikon N 80 and a couple of lenses.
But that money, well the most of it went into swords, lot's of swords Big Grin good swords Exclamation Polearms, daggers, a hauberk, spiked buckler, Arms & Armor got the most of it Laughing Out Loud Exclamation Got a couple of spectacular Albions too Exclamation

So I dared not expect, ask for, or obtain for myself any swords etc., this holiday season! But what a BLAST I had in my first serious year and a whole lot of thought went into everything and I have not one regret! I had some very good guideance and advice from members of this forum and directors too!

Congrats Chuck Russell on your books, that one in particular "The Great War Bow" I also have that one, it's awesome isn't it!

Jessen Klaus that is one very handsome sword haul you got there, the known one's are spectacular swordsmiths Exclamation

Congrats Martin Wallgren on your Roman Baeltus, well just the shoes, hasta, and pugio and your ready to raise Roman Hell Exclamation Laughing Out Loud

Howdy there Patrick and congrats on your nice little pea shooter there Laughing Out Loud Actually, that's a handsome rifle and I take it you got that for Christmas? Perhaps you could tell us a little more about that beauty Cool

Yep one thing for sure, my initiative year was absolutely awesome and I have never had a year like that in my whole life where I've been able to spend that kind of money in such a short period of time Exclamation I thought real hard before every purchase, there were a couple of minor buys that were kind of stupid that I was warned about by members of this forum where I should have listened, but they were just real minor buys.
I got a whole lot of good advice from myArmoury forum members about my big investments and they really went out of their way to help me Exclamation
I hope all of you had a wonderful holiday season and that this coming year brings you at least one of those major acquisitions you have been yearning for so long!

HAPPY NEW YEAR To ONE and ALL

Bob
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just purchased with my Christmas money: 100 Legendary Knives by Gérard Pacella. It was on the bargain table at Barnes and Noble for $6.98! Cool
Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Grayson C.

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Out of curiousity, did anyone who purchased an Albion have any problems with delivery? I feel like I'm the only one with a 4 month backorder Sad. I hope I'm not alone in this.

Bob, how much did all of that cost!? If you keep this up, you're going to put A & A out of business if they keep having to make so many blades for you Wink Laughing Out Loud

Anyway, great job on all of the weapons Happy
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
Howdy there Patrick and congrats on your nice little pea shooter there Actually, that's a handsome rifle and I take it you got that for Christmas? Perhaps you could tell us a little more about that beauty

Nope, no X-mas present there as I've had that particular rifle for about 8-9 years. I was just wondering if that's what he's refering to. It's a fun shooter and one of my favorites.
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud Grayson, I figure everything combined I know I dropped about 14 grand Eek! Exclamation That would be including my wife's period clothing and mine, her camera, everything, maybe more, I try not to think to hard about it Laughing Out Loud Exclamation
I started out with a spear and a dagger from Arms & Armor from the Renaissance Fair in the two years prior and I guess you might say I "Launched" in 2005 Exclamation However, if funds had not found me it would not have been possible, but the timing was perfect and I did a lot of fenangling, I also gave up a whole lot too.
Now I have a pretty solid collection, and if I were to continue like that my wife would simply impale me Exclamation Laughing Out Loud

I don't go out, so I don't spend money and I have never been one to gamble, my only other vices are coffee and cigarettes.

It truly was a "BLAST", but the whole hog spending spree is over now, I am just thrilled I was so lucky to have one year like this in my life time and that it happened when it did, because it sure was worth while, I know a lot of collectors sell and trade, perhaps most collectors, but me, I don't see myself parting with anything. I just love everything I have far too much to be able to part with any of it, as crazy as it might sound.
Actually, today I am transmitting the money for the Arms & Armor "Black Prince" with an extra stiff and awl type point to it and then my attention goes to Russ Ellis for this coming summer's Custom Plaque Belt and Scabbard for the Edward III Sword.

Maybe I should entertain the idea of playing the state lottery? Laughing Out Loud

I've said this before and it's very true, I love reading posts about other forum members acquisitions, holiday gifts (which is the purpose of this thread and I've drifted Idea Eek! ).

So if anyone has holiday gifts they received, please share, I for one would love to hear about them Exclamation

Sincerely,

Bob
Douglas G.

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick,
Yes, thats it alright. Getting a '73 has been an itch I've wanted to scratch for a while and just haven't due to too
many other gotta haves as well. Have you seen the "Mare's Laig" repros? Same size as Josh Randalls yet ATF
legal? There was was an article about them in the latest issue of "Guns of the Old West". Tempting but it's
built like the original on a '96.

Toys in the attic about toys!
Doug Gentner
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Douglas G. wrote:
Patrick,
Yes, thats it alright. Getting a '73 has been an itch I've wanted to scratch for a while and just haven't due to too
many other gotta haves as well. Have you seen the "Mare's Laig" repros? Same size as Josh Randalls yet ATF
legal? There was was an article about them in the latest issue of "Guns of the Old West". Tempting but it's
built like the original on a '96.

Toys in the attic about toys!
Doug Gentner

I had that itch for quite a number of years too, until I was finally able to afford to scratch it. I've briefly considered selling mine on a couple of occasions but have managed to talk myself out of it. Prices on them have increased considerably since I bought mine and I'd just wind up getting another one later on. Big Grin

You'll need a good hog leg to go with it!

I read that article on the Mares Laig repro. I've never been that interested in that one myself. Why chop down a perfectly good rifle?
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was thinking my A&A Edward III would be here by December. Oh well, any day now. I ordered it back in August so I guess that wouldn't make it a "holiday" present in the conventional sense. I actually asked Craig and everyone who took part in making it to put their signatures on the invoice so I can frame it next to the sword as an extra-special keepsake; after all, this is my dream sword.

Indeed, we should be thankful that we can indulge ourselves in this hobby of ours and be mindful and caring of those less fortunate than us.

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Merv Cannon

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jan, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Holiday Aquisitions         Reply with quote

Hey Steve....Congrats on all your new stuff...........esp. " Shiny Shapes " ! Well done also on that MRL Scott. Burgonet too.....Id love to get one of those but MRL are just too hard to deal with unless you do what you did and actually drop in and see them ....not so easy for me ! I did manage to actually get one e-mail reply which is a lot more than poor old Nathan has ever recieved from them . Dont know why they even bother having a web-site.
I managed to get a copy of "The Medieval Armour from Rhodes" for $50 which isnt too bad. I have not read much yet but it really explaines a lot about the Hospitallers and their defences. So I went and had a look at some on-line images which helps me visualise what they're talking about in the text......very advanced Castle and fortifications for the time, much like the 17th C. French ones.
Like you, I got a copy of "Beowulf & Grendel" ...also v. cool (except for the leather bits of harness...what were they thinking ? ) Managed to find some really wierd (but great) Russian medieval music on-line as samples....enough to make a whole album....those Russians really know how to party ! And now, for something entirely different, I also got from my girlfriend, an autographed copy of the script from " Monty Python Live at the Hollwood Bowl ".
I hope your Christmas was an excellent one...and also for all the Forum members !
Let me know if you ever plan to make your way back here to Oz and we will catch up.
Cheers !

Merv ....... KOLR
http://www.lionrampant.com.au/

"Then let slip the dogs of war ! "......Woof !
Grayson C.

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jan, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Merv, according to one of my friends on another forum who use to do the ups pick up for MRL, they old staff is all gone. It has long been replaced by an entirely indian staff (kudos to windlass...) who are not as good as the first, apparently. MRL seems to actually be going backward now.

This is so fun seeing what other people got for the holidays and being able to ask questions and oggle Laughing Out Loud
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jan, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Merv, "Medieval Armour From Rhodes" is a neat book, you'll enjoy it. All the armour in the book was in the armoury of the fortress at the time of the seige (1522 right?) demonstrating the long use life armour had ( there are pieces dating back to the 1430's that were still in service). Several of the pieces have working life alterations as well. Also where possible a metalergical analysis was done to determine what the piece was made of (iron/steel) and if an attempt had been made to heat treat it.
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jan, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Holiday Aquisitions         Reply with quote

Merv Cannon wrote:
Hey Steve....Congrats on all your new stuff...........esp. " Shiny Shapes " ! Well done also on that MRL Scott. Burgonet too.....Id love to get one of those but MRL are just too hard to deal with unless you do what you did and actually drop in and see them ....not so easy for me !

Thanks, Merv. Seems you got some great things, too. I should mention that the MRL people in their store were very accommodating. It's too bad they seem to have trouble with electronic communications.

- Sir Toby Belch

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Holiday Acquisitions
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: