Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New A&A Sword coming in soon! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jan, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: New A&A Sword coming in soon!         Reply with quote

well the excitement of getting a new piece is back again. For some months now I have been working with Craig in getting the A&A 15th Century two-hander. I have had my eye on this one since 1996, but have always managed to put it off for one reason or another. Finally, I told myself , "Self you just have to get it". So I e-mailed Craig . The journey began back in August. There is nothing really out there right now that excited me besides the Albion Baron...well nothing I could afford anyway. So when it comes in I'll try and get some pics up and stats. I would love to do some cutting with that baby but I am not sure what medmium to use...a horse? LOL It should get through anything in it's way. Well, all I need is one more payday (next week) and I am there. Laughing Out Loud

Joel
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jan, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Joel,

I'm very excited about you getting this sword as it has always been on my list as well. It's one of my favorites of the A&A line-up, but I've never gotten one for whatever reason. I'm interested in hearing your detailed observations concerning this sword. I also think that it would make a great addition to our review section, so please consider writing up a formal review on it.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Joe Maccarrone

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jan, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll third that notion! I too have been eyeing this one for years.

Joel, I know you're a fellow XXL sort, and I'd recommend 1/2" plywood rather than 1/4" for test cutting with that one. My A&A Claymore will bisect a 4'x4' sheet of 1/4" plywood, and bury the tip in the ground below, if I don't pull it up short. Be careful!

Big Grin
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jan, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll fourth the motion, I've been wanting to see one of those guys for years. You ordered back in August? Did you have anything special done to this sword? I'm just wondering how backed up Craig and the guys are. If they are backlogged I'm happy for them and for me too. That means that business is good and I need them to be in business for at least 100 years or so. That way I can buy all of their stuff. Happy
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jan, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Guess I'll be number five. I saw this sword upon my last visit to A&A and was really lovin' it. I'll be glad to see a new one go out there and read your impressions of it!
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Always loved the proportions of this one.         Reply with quote

Ever since I saw this sword in A&A's catalog I have loved it's beautiful proportions. I am partial to 2-handers in part because I am a XXXL guy Wink I would love it if someone had a pic/s of the original in the Wallace collection. While I plan to do some test cutting, I am not sure about 1/2" plywood. Joe have you tried 1/2" stuff? While I have done some test cutting with some of Gus' XIIa ( I think I still hold the 1/4" plywood record hehe), I know that the dynamics of cutting with a big blade like this one are different. My A&A Braveheart is similar in size to the English 2-hander but it's not sharp so I have not cut with it so I am excited about cutting with this big baby. I woudl also like to see someone like Randal Graham make this guy out of L-6 Bainite (hin, hint Randal Big Grin ) but I don't know if he's taking comissions at the moment. I probably could not afford it anyway so it's just as well LOL. Anyways, here is the pic that has been in my mind. Anyone know of any similar historical examples?

Attachment: 18.71 KB
My 2-Hander: 44" Hollow-gound blade,61.5" overall [ Download ]
Robert Busch

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, I'd love to see it too, this one is growing on me in a big way.

Bob
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here you go Joel.

original, # A474 The Wallace Collection

A scan from the book: A Collectors guide to Swords, Daggers, & Cutlasses

Attachment: 78.78 KB
15th.jpg

Last edited by Stephen A. Fisher on Mon 26 Jan, 2004 8:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Arms & Armor #156 15th Century Two Hander

Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From Claudio's
http://www.catsdiablopage.com/
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A scan from the book: Weapons : An International Encyclopedia From 5000 B.C. to 2000 A.D., Updated Edition
by the Diagram Group

Attachment: 48.25 KB
scan0010.jpg

Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Awesome pics, Stephen.

God, I've always loved that sword. Was very tempted to buy it, but ended up buying a German Bastard sword on SFI's classifieds that was too good to pass up. But I still don't have a two hander of this size, and this one is certainly one of (possibly THE) best one on the market.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will chime in with my usual request for pictures when you get it! Cool
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Joe Maccarrone

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Always loved the proportions of this one.         Reply with quote

Joel Whitmore wrote:
Ever since I saw this sword in A&A's catalog I have loved it's beautiful proportions. I am partial to 2-handers in part because I am a XXXL guy Wink I would love it if someone had a pic/s of the original in the Wallace collection. While I plan to do some test cutting, I am not sure about 1/2" plywood. Joe have you tried 1/2" stuff?

Yep, we've attacked the 1/2" plywood at Gus' shop; I didn't use the A&A Claymore on the 1/2". We used a variety of AT swords and a few axes. The AT swords held up just fine on the 1/2" stuff, as expected.. But none of the swords -- including Gus' XIIIa heavy -- could even dream of sinking as deep into that plywood as the axes. (A&A Danish and Albion Hebridean). Big Grin

I'd be curious to see how a true two-handed sword would compare, in 1/2" plywood, to the axes....
Brock H

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joel (and everybody), you may be interested in the stats on the original. From the Wallace Catalogue of European Arms(which I have): A474: L. blade 46 1/8" (117.0 cm), W. 2 3/8 (6.0), L. quillons 11 (28.0), L. quillons to pommel 13 1/8 (33.3), L. pommel 4 1/2 (11.2), Wt. 6:6 (2.892).

The A&A version happens to be on my "someday" list also. There are others ahead of it, though, so it may be a few years yet.
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Thanks Guys         Reply with quote

The original specs and photos are awesome. Besides taking some pics, I may try to video the cutting tests. I have never tried 1/2" plywood but once I mistakenly put up some 1/4" Louan. Man that stuff is Tough!!!. I may also try a few watermelons/canteloups. I think it would be cool to try some ballistic gel if I can get my hands on some, though I don't know how this would perform. Plus the fact that I would not want to mess up my beautiful new sword. Thanks too for teh stats. That is very interesting. Hopefully next month we'll see some pics.

Joel

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New A&A Sword coming in soon!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic