Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 15th century French armor... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Torsten F.H. Wilke

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jan, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam, could you post some detail pics of the insides? Areas of interest would also be where parts are joined...
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jan, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam - your collection is stunning! I hope someday to have even one piece like any of yours!!
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 07 Jan, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam, I didn't mean to put you on the spot or embarrass you. It isn't on my website, but mostly what I do these days is clean, repair, and restore armour for collectors; I don't make much armour anymore. I know that finding reliable people to do cleaning and repair here in the U.S. can be difficult.
jamesarlen.com
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jan, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam;

Wonderful stuff! Thanks for posting those, and I'm sure all here would love to see more! (Especially the backs of them!)

Cheers!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Hugo Voisine

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jan, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
(Especially the backs of them!)

Yes, I'am curious to see if the handles are somewhat decorated....

« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
Sam Haverkamp
Industry Professional

Reading list: 2 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jan, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: The nature of things         Reply with quote

text removed by author

Last edited by Sam Haverkamp on Mon 08 Jan, 2007 10:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sam Haverkamp
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jan, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Arms         Reply with quote

text removed by author

Last edited by Sam Haverkamp on Mon 08 Jan, 2007 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hugo Voisine

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jan, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I hope I didn't burst too many bubbles....

Not at all. Even if they weren't made by the master, those pieces of yours show an incredible level of craftmanship. This is just great. Big Grin

I really like the engraving on the parrying dagger. Once again, thanks for sharing. Happy

« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
Sam Haverkamp
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jan, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

text removed by author

Last edited by Sam Haverkamp on Mon 08 Jan, 2007 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jan, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The nature of things         Reply with quote

Sam Haverkamp wrote:
... Do you think there is a market for further reproduction of these pieces? I am tinkering with the idea...

A qualified YES. I, for one, would be interested. But, key questions that need to be answered include: quality of reproduction versus the cost; and, what pricing will the market support. There are certainly some folks out there making very high quality reproductions of historic armor, but I'm not sure how much of it they actually sell.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Sam Haverkamp
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jan, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Clarity         Reply with quote

text removed by author

Last edited by Sam Haverkamp on Tue 09 Jan, 2007 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jan, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam;

No worries, just a minor error in transmission. Thanks for the correction. Happy

So from your earlier post on this I'm not quite certain: are these reproductions made IN the 16th Century of Delaune pieces, or are they reproductions OF the 16th Century pieces made in the 19th Century?

In either event, they're very cool pieces, so don't feel any need to apologize for them. I sure like them! Cool

Cheers!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Sam Haverkamp
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jan, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: What the?         Reply with quote

Too all concerned,
I removed my postings and pictures of my collection of Ornate Armor. I was accused by the staff of misleading you all and that was not my intent. The pieces that were shown are all genuine antiques, purchased at great expense from Museums around the world. I assumed it was known that allot of them were copies of famous Armors and you know what happens when you assume things. The truth of it is the date of manufacture and thier origine is not fully understood except that they are centuries old and of amazing quality.
I may at some point request to post my collection on this site.
Regards
S
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jan, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: What the?         Reply with quote

Sam Haverkamp wrote:
Too all concerned,
I removed my postings and pictures of my collection of Ornate Armor. I was accused by the staff of misleading you all and that was not my intent. The pieces that were shown are all genuine antiques, purchased at great expense from Museums around the world. I assumed it was known that allot of them were copies of famous Armors and you know what happens when you assume things. The truth of it is the date of manufacture and thier origine is not fully understood except that they are centuries old and of amazing quality.
Regards
S

Sam,
I can say with certainty that no staff of this website would ever ask you to delete text and pictures this way. All that should be required would be to state, with certainty, what you know about these pieces.

Removing the images and text leaves this thread with holes in the context of other people's responses to you. It renders a chunk of this thread pointless and without worth. It is also ridiculous to have to wade through deleted responses. It is not the solution any of the staff would ask for or desire.

It is not your job to clean up threads. It is the job of the Moderators (Nathan and me). Had we wanted those posts gone, we would have dealt with it ourselves. Anything else is out of line.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jan, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: What the?         Reply with quote

Sam Haverkamp wrote:
Too all concerned,
Regards
S

Sam you were asked about the pieces, not accused of anything. The exchange of messages was friendly. This is quite a shock waking up to this. The removal of all the text of your posts and the destruction of the flow of this topic constitutes defacing this Web site. I've no patience for immature junk like this. It's now time to temporarily revoke your posting rights as a consequence.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 15th century French armor...
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: