Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > About Sword´s lenghts Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Rodolfo Martínez

PostPosted: Wed 20 Dec, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: About Sword´s lenghts         Reply with quote

Hello Guys!
I was reading Oakeshott typology of swords of chivalric era, and i want to make a type xx waster for practise, but i,m not sure about lenghts. When Oakeshott talks about 8 inches long grips, for example, is he including the pommel? And when he is talking abut blade length, he talks about the entire sword or the ricasso and blade only?

The root of this silly question are the lenghts of this swords, but i´m not sure if they are combat swords, or parade only swords, the first one is said to be a bearing sword but i´m not sure if such lenght swords were uswd in combat in XV century too (Please, if someone can bring me some light i´ll be very grateful):
XX.3 From a Private Collection
XX.1 From the Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna (A.89.W)

http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_spotxx.html

Thanks to all.

¨Sólo me desenvainarás por honor y nunca me envainarás sin gloria¨
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 20 Dec, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: About Sword´s lenghts         Reply with quote

Rodolfo Martínez wrote:
Hello Guys!
I was reading Oakeshott typology of swords of chivalric era, and i want to make a type xx waster for practise, but i,m not sure about lenghts. When Oakeshott talks about 8 inches long grips, for example, is he including the pommel? And when he is talking abut blade length, he talks about the entire sword or the ricasso and blade only?

The root of this silly question are the lenghts of this swords, but i´m not sure if they are combat swords, or parade only swords, the first one is said to be a bearing sword but i´m not sure if such lenght swords were uswd in combat in XV century too (Please, if someone can bring me some light i´ll be very grateful):

Thanks to all.

Blade length is from hilt to tip.
Grips are the portion between pommel and crossguard.
I don't really think there where such things as "Parade Only" swords in the 15th century; dress swords yes but more than likely they would have been functional as well.

M.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Thu 21 Dec, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: About Sword´s lenghts         Reply with quote

Rodolfo Martínez wrote:
Hello Guys!

Thanks to all.

I think Purpleheart Armoury still makes a "great sword" wooden waster that would have been similar to the length of a large Type XX sword, in both blade length and grip length...

Seeing as how I own one of their Longsword wasters, I recommend them highly.

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > About Sword´s lenghts
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic