Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Albion Vinland! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Stephen Pearson

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: New Albion Vinland!         Reply with quote

Thanks to Mike and the rest of the folks at Albion, I received my Vinland Viking earlier this week!

My Quick Review:

This sword is magnificent! First of all, it's easily the sharpest sword I've ever owned. All my other reproductions show signs (however small) of being sharpened -- that slight secondary edge that reveals that someone used a grinder to sharpen the blade. Not so with the Vinland -- the edges are perfect. If there are any grind marks, I can't see them with the naked eye.

Second, the knot work on the pommel and crossguard is wonderful! When I first saw pics of the sword on Albion's website, I was afraid that the knot work wouldn't stand out. My fears were put to rest as soon as I pulled the sword from the box -- Albion has "aged" the hilt furniture (as seen below). The knot work doesn't show machine precision -- which makes the hilt that more fantastic -- it looks and feels like a real handmade sword. Talking to Mike at Albion, he mentioned that some were interested in blueing their hilt furniture -- that would be a mistake with the Vinland, the knot work would disappear, and the sword would lose its character.

As for handling, the Vinland is agile and well balanced, with an distinct blade presence reflecting its time in history.

This sword is more than the "next generation." It's the next universe. If this sword is any indication of the quality of the rest of the NG line (and I'm pretty sure it is) than to quote an old Jedi Master, "[I've] just taken my first step into a larger world."

Attachment: 21.31 KB
Vinlandfull sword 1.jpg
Vinland - full view

Attachment: 54.9 KB
vinland hilt 2.jpg
Vinland Hilt

Attachment: 94.04 KB
vinland hilt 3.jpg
Vinland Hilt

Attachment: 87.14 KB
vinland hilt 4.jpg
Vinland Hilt

The only situation a commander can know fully is his own: his opponent's he can know only from unreliable intelligence.
Clausewitz, On War
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Stephen! She looks grreat. I can feel my inner viking waking up.
Brian M

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice! I wonder if how they antiqued the hilt furniture; cold blue and a polishing? That really is a beautiful sword. Wish I had the money to pick up another VIking, but my Gaddhjalt will have to do for now.
It sounds like you are a satisfied customer. Wink

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Albion Vinland!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic