Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MRL Del Tin's Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: MRL Del Tin's         Reply with quote

exactly how can you tell when an MRL blade is made by Del Tin Fulvio? I'm asking because someone on another forum (a Lord of the Rings based forum) has contacted me about an old sword he has and wanted to know if it was a Del Tin blade or not. I thought I heard that DT blades had a wolf or some other stamp design on them, along with a Museum Replicas stamp as opposed to a Windlass stamp (because Windlass didn't make the blade. Duh.) I could be wrong so that's why I am asking.
How can there be a perfect sword when PEOPLE come in all shapes and sizes too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Early Del Tin blades were marked with a stylized "Running Wolf" mark such as this:

Later stuff has the blade stamped "Del Tin" in small writing.

Some of the MRL / Del Tin collaborations were not marked with anything and the only way to verify if it is a Del Tin blade is to do some product research on that particular model. Additionally, the Del Tin blades often have a more "gray" appearance than the more mirror-polished Windlass blades.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Speaking from limited experience, having only handled/owned a couple of Del Tins, I'd say if the blade is pretty much free of hammer ripples it might be more likely a Del Tin. I know that the Del Tins I had were nice and flat and most all but one of the MRL/Windlass things had a fair abundance of those ripples left in there. The exception being the little medieval shortsword, which was nice and clean. This is all general, and just from my experience, ofcourse. Happy
David Wilson

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My MRL/DT Falcata has both the Del Tin "Shield" on one side and "Made in Italy" stamped on the other....
David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Wilson wrote:
My MRL/DT Falcata has both the Del Tin "Shield" on one side and "Made in Italy" stamped on the other....

Bingo!

Sans any marking, this is a dead giveaway on the older stuff. Windlass has been doing a better job on finishing of late but newer models are fairly easily identified.

I'd love to see a catalog listing of an MRL/Del Tin Danish War Sword.
I picked up a piece through Craig Johnson and his thoughts ran to that identification. A light XVa with a small fluted globe pommel.

Cheers

GC

Edited because I meant to quote Scott, re: the ripple effect ?8•)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MRL Del Tin's
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic