Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Viking Sax from Deepeeka Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Shelby Hatfield

PostPosted: Wed 06 Dec, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Viking Sax from Deepeeka         Reply with quote

I'm considering buying this piece from Viking-shields.com, does anyone have any information on it? I don't know about Deepeeka's quality, but I like the look of this sax. Has anyone handled it?
Let a man never stir on his road a step without his weapons of war; for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise of a spear on the way without.

don't click this link...
Andy Biggers

PostPosted: Thu 07 Dec, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Shelby,

I am familliar with the Deepka Seax to which you refer. In my opinion, they are not worth owning unless you just want something to hang on the wall. Their heat treatment is poor (and in some cases almost non-existent) so the blades will not even hold a decent working edge. Their overall fit and finish is also quite crude. As with all things in life, you get what you pay for. I classify these repros as "junk blades".

There are a few other manufacturers who produce comercial seax reproductions that are better choices at a similar or slightly higher cost. For example, you might consider ther Paul Chen (Hanwei) Seax -- while by no means perfect, I have handled one of these, and they are fair value for the money spent -- particularly the latest series that has come from their factory.

AB

Gain say who dare!
Shelby Hatfield

PostPosted: Thu 07 Dec, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up Andy. Which of the Paul Chen seaxes are you refering to, the double edged one? I also like the look of the crusader sax from Windlass, and I hear that their quality has improved lately. Would this be a good seax to start out with?
Let a man never stir on his road a step without his weapons of war; for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise of a spear on the way without.

don't click this link...
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 07 Dec, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been looking for a Seax myself for a buddy for x-mas, and haven't been too impressed with what is out there. It seems like there are quite a few crappy cheap ones, or you can get very expensive hand forged ones, (I remember seeing a particularly breathtaking hand forged piece here on myArmoury about two years ago) but there seems to be a gap in the market for these in the mid-range, something just solid, simple, decent quality materials and well put together, with a recognizable historical shape and appearance. Heres my $.02 on what I have found available so far on the cheaper end.

Shelby Hatfield wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up Andy. Which of the Paul Chen seaxes are you refering to, the double edged one? I also like the look of the crusader sax from Windlass, and I hear that their quality has improved lately. Would this be a good seax to start out with?

yeah I notice at least two windlass and two paul chen / hanwei, plus some other versions by windlass, deepka and others.

Here are the two paul chen designs

Both retail for about $60-$70. To me the first one looks like an oversized butter knife, the second one looks MUCH better but who knows what the quality is. Probably ok.

Windlass has this one standby

which to me looks a little strange with the knobs on the grip and whatever kind of decoration that is on the blade. My friend has one and wasn't too thrilled with it. I think it's overpriced at $75

..and they have this newer 'crusader' seax for $80which I like the look of much better

The deepka one

looks to me like it doesn't know whether to be a bowie knife or a gurkha knife. I know they made saxes with all different kinds of blade shapes but I'm most drawn to that classic long strait cutting edge and curved spine look. I'm glad some of these outfits seem to be finally moving in that direction.

I found this page which has a bunch of Viking Stuff, including all of the above, in one place.
http://www.kultofathena.com/viking.htm

Finally ,there is this one from Highland Arms which is showing up on Ebay for about $40. They claim it's carbon steel and a full tang, and it looks pretty good compared to some of the other cheaper ones so I'm going to get one and see for myself.

Jean

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Shelby Hatfield

PostPosted: Thu 07 Dec, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think 've got it down between the Windlass crusader and the Paul Chen scramasax. They both look fairly solid though I think I'm going to end up going with the scram. Let me know how that sax from Highland Arms turns out, I may buy that one in the future. Thanks for your help guys.

don't click this link...
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 07 Dec, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Seax         Reply with quote

While I agree with Andy's comments about heat treatment and sharpening, the Deepeeka Seax really isn't too bad. They are solidly constructed and aren't bad-looking. But, they are more for ornamentation than actual use. The Paul Chen Scramsax (not the practical version) is nicely put together and reasonably well-tempered. It does have an edge although not much of one. It is a good value for the price. The practical version does look a little strange but I am sure it is also fairly well made, although I have not examined one in the flesh. The MRL stuff I know nothing about, but agree that the one illustrated here is also a bit strange looking.

There were many styles and sizes of seaxes used during Viking times. There are a number of different styles out there and most are reasonably authentic in appearance. And, fortunately, most are reasonably priced. I would go with the Paul Chen version myself, but then I have had the opportunity to examine a number of them.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 07 Dec, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a nice one made by custom smith Antoine Marçal: http://antoinemarcal.wordpress.com/past-works/

Depends on what you are looking for and how much you can afford ? But it's good to see what the top end looks like.

Link to homepage: http://antoinemarcal.wordpress.com/

For forged and patterned welded steel the prices seen good.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Thu 07 Dec, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Scramsax         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Here is a nice one made by custom smith Antoine Marçal: http://antoinemarcal.wordpress.com/past-works/

Depends on what you are looking for and how much you can afford ? But it's good to see what the top end looks like.

Link to homepage: http://antoinemarcal.wordpress.com/

For forged and patterned welded steel the prices seen good.

There is also this guy Peter Melc in Czech Republic, I've seen his stuff and it's very good.

http://www.celtic-smith.cz/indexE.php?menu=nozeE

Jean

Douglas G.

PostPosted: Thu 07 Dec, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shelby,
I have two sax's of very different shape and price. And per usual, price dictates alot about the quality.
One is a Del Tin Lombard Scramsax. This was, initially at least, the cheaper of the two. The blade is wavy,
and of indifferent quality, the handle absolute rubbish as is the scabbard. I liked the shape of the blade
because of the period it represents so paid Christian Fletcher to re-hilt it and he did a bang up job, it
now matches my Berserkr. Christian also made an apropriate scabbard for it as well. The other is an
Eric McHugh Anglo-Saxon seax. It's a real pleaser if hardly inexpensive, and is a pleasure to handle.
I think he still has one.
Whichever sax you wind up choosing, my experience tells me that cost will dictate quality, so get the
one you're comfortable with and enjoy.

Doug Gentner
Shelby Hatfield

PostPosted: Thu 07 Dec, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm on a really limited budget, and I'm only looking for a decent entry level piece, so I think I am indeed going to go for the paul chen. Maybe one day I will own one from someone like Eric McHugh, but thats beyond me right now. Thank you all for your imput on the matter.

don't click this link...
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Thu 07 Dec, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

paul binss

armour class

both are well made. both are highly respected within the reenactment circles. and both are really very good overall in shape, size and price
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Fri 08 Dec, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi

Apart from from the seaxes Chuck posted those other pieces are nothing like the originals. I wish big market makers ( not all of them some are good) would get serious about this making proper reproductions of viking seaxes. Even the sheaths are totally wrong.

N
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Fri 08 Dec, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A copy of a original, and a original blade

N

Attachment: 59.77 KB
seaxesviking (53).jpg

Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Fri 08 Dec, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another, fancier version

Attachment: 11.19 KB
seaxesviking (39).jpg

Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Fri 08 Dec, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

same one with sheath,

Attachment: 19.45 KB
seaxesviking (40).jpg

Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Fri 08 Dec, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A work like seax everyday use, simple and efective.

Attachment: 42.36 KB
knifeq (2).JPG

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 08 Dec, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Please note that you can attach up to 8 photos per post. You do not need to make a separate post for each attachment as you do on some other sites out there.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 Dec, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Hanwei Scramasax         Reply with quote

I just got the Hanwei one pictured above, and I am actually really impressed with it. If you can afford the time to lurk on ebay, you can get them for anywhere between $35-$60, and at that price, its a good value. I spent about 2 days redoing the edge to a sword bevel, and it cuts milk jugs and 2 liters very nicely now. I would say it is a strong solid option for you.
Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Fri 08 Dec, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hanwei Scramasax         Reply with quote

Mike Arledge wrote:
I just got the Hanwei one pictured above, and I am actually really impressed with it. If you can afford the time to lurk on ebay, you can get them for anywhere between $35-$60, and at that price, its a good value. I spent about 2 days redoing the edge to a sword bevel, and it cuts milk jugs and 2 liters very nicely now. I would say it is a strong solid option for you.

Which one did you get the 'crusader' or the older one?

J

Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 Dec, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry, I got the Scramasax http://casiberia.com/product_details.asp?id=SH1075
Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Viking Sax from Deepeeka
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours