Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Gendarmes Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 
Michael Curl

PostPosted: Fri 05 Aug, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds like he was very lucky to survive.
E Pluribus Unum
Kurt Scholz

PostPosted: Sat 06 Aug, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Curl wrote:
Sounds like he was very lucky to survive.

He's tough, he went to work the next day. So I can pretty much imagine from skeletal finds how well-trained warriors were killed.
Ushio Kawana

PostPosted: Sun 07 Aug, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Happy Happy Happy

Quote:
Knocked out means to hit until stuff comes out. So to knock someone's brains out means to hit them in the head till all the organs in their head are on the ground (grissly stuff, very bad).

It is bloodcurdling scene... WTF?! Mad Eek!
I think that it is hatred for the opponent nobles/knights...

I'm interested in Medieval Arms and Armor.
But... My English is very poor ><;
Kurt Scholz

PostPosted: Sun 07 Aug, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ushio Kawana wrote:
Thanks Happy Happy Happy

Quote:
Knocked out means to hit until stuff comes out. So to knock someone's brains out means to hit them in the head till all the organs in their head are on the ground (grissly stuff, very bad).

It is bloodcurdling scene... WTF?! Mad Eek!
I think that it is hatred for the opponent nobles/knights...

Two reasons perhaps. They weren't in a position to make a profit via ransom and the dead men's belongings on the field were already worth a lot. So it was possibly more gain in taking a dead man's belongings than trying to feed him for ransom because these noble guys were so family-connected with your own lords that it was very likely that your lord would let him off the hook easily just to spare him the ignominious fate of being a prisoner of such lowly beings.
Ushio Kawana

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jan, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all Happy

thanks Kurt Happy

I looked for the detailed description of Battle of Pavia.
And I found this text. http://www.deremilitari.org/resources/pdfs/giono.pdf
Quote:

p155
The din of all this clashing ironmongery, the smell of blood, the smoke of gunpowder, the flash of swords whistling around their ears, maddens the horses. They are enormous creatures, themselves clad in armour that hangs to their knees. When one of these huge animals rears, half a ton of flesh and steel comes crashing back. The Bastard of Savoy, grand-master of France, is overthrown by one such encounter and stifled to death inside his armour; next day, when he is dragged from under a great heap of dead, his body is taken from that armour intact, but blue as a drowned man, his eyes starting from his head and his tongue protruding as if he had been hanged.

Perhaps "Bastard of Savoy" is "Rene of Savoy": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ren%C3%A9_of_Savoy
I do not know whether he is a Gendarme...
But he is a French nobleman. So I think that his armour is plate armour.
I have some questions about the description of his death. Question
his body is taken from that armour intact, but blue as a drowned man, his eyes starting from his head and his tongue protruding as if he had been hanged.
Is this possible?

I look for the detailed description of Battle of Pavia.
Do you know other descriptions? Please tell me...

thanks

Joel Minturn

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jan, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It sounds like the guy was sufficated or drowned.

With out knowing more I can't say for sure but he could have punctured a lung and drowned on his blood or pushed into the mud or the weight of a horse or armoured person on his body could have sufficated him

Hope that helps.
William P

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Guilherme Dias Ferreira S wrote:
Correct if I'm wrong but the mainly users of the maximilian harness were the frenchs knights, since the invention of this style, in the early 1500s. I think that in Germany the knights were still prefering to use the later versions of the gothic armour, like this one: http://www.whiterosearmoury.co.uk/New%20Folder/rob2.JPG; and this one: http://www.thearma.org/spotlight/RA2001Guild/JeffinGothic2.JPG

Well, I'm waiting for a more qualificate and technical opinion.

nope, the maximillian armour was german, almost exclusively so,
according to the catalogue handbook of the graz armoury in austria(called, imperial austria, arms and armour of the state of styria) (or something like that)
, the maximillian style of armour is named in reference to the fact it was used in the reign of emporer maximillion the 1st (who also formed the landsknect units with one intention for this as being to counter the ferocious swiss pikemen used by the french king)

according the the graz armoury book, it says that the style, at least full harnesses of it maybe, was uncommon outside of germany (and i think im going to trust this book since its half written by the staff of the armoury itself. )
and the fluting made the style expensive so it wasnt popular for long, according to the book the style declined around the1520's and was PASSE' by 1540 (for those unfamiliar with the term, passe essentially means to turn up wearing it will likely get you laughed at) the equivelent is to dress up to a nightclub dressed in clothes straight out of saturday night fever )
theres reference to the landsknect mercenaries using partial pieces of maximilian armour though but this was mostly restricted mostly to a breastplate and tassets.
but the fact the armour style became passe in probably the space of 40 years possibly less, i find highly amusing

as for the bastard of savoy.. i cannot comment on this guy in particular but another book i have on the history of english knights also notes an example of a man being pulled from the press of battle, armour and i think body completely intact, but dead.
the cause of death was probably a combination of suffocation and heatstroke.

does anyone know what they called the armour styles of the 16th C particularly the style worn by the gendarmes. with the multi visored close helmes and big pauldrones etc.
and i know of the tendency towards the peasacod breatplate.. was that style of armour given any particular name?

i know that the gothic style kind of went out of fashion around the first decade of the 1500's around which time the maximillian armour emerged.
Ushio Kawana

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all Happy

Thanks Joel Minturn and William P Happy

I misunderstood it! Sad
I thought that "stifled = pressed". Exclamation
I thought that his (armoured) body was pressed by (knees of) armoured horse.
Eek!
ummmmm... A English word has many means... It is too difficult to translation for me. Sad

http://www.deremilitari.org/resources/pdfs/giono.pdf
Quote:
p155
The din of all this clashing ironmongery, the smell of blood, the smoke of gunpowder, the flash of swords whistling around their ears, maddens the horses. They are enormous creatures, themselves clad in armour that hangs to their knees. When one of these huge animals rears, half a ton of flesh and steel comes crashing back. The Bastard of Savoy, grand-master of France, is overthrown by one such encounter and stifled to death inside his armour; next day, when he is dragged from under a great heap of dead, his body is taken from that armour intact, but blue as a drowned man, his eyes starting from his head and his tongue protruding as if he had been hanged.

I look for the detailed description of "how to killed the Gendarme (in the Battle of Pavia)."

p.s.
I do not know whether I can trust this book. (Giono, Jean, The Battle of Pavia: 24th February 1525 (London, 1965) )

thanks ^^

Michael Curl

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stifle

To be stifled to death inside your armour means that you cannot breathe properly and suffocate, usually because there are too many people around sucking up your air and the claustrophobic situation in your armour makes it too hard to breath, etc.

E Pluribus Unum
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think in this particular case it might be that he was pressed hard by his horse and his armor deformed and pressed his body too much to breathe. But he might also just be captured by horses body and by bodies of fallen men and he was suffocated.
Ushio Kawana

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jan, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all Happy

Thanks Michael & Luka Happy

These armours are very famous.

We know that these armours are displayed in Metropolitan museum.
But I have very simple questions. Question

Q1. Were these armours really used in battles?
Q2. Were these armours worn by gendarmes?
Q3. Are these armours(man's and Horse's) for parades? (These armours are great etched.)

I found a page of detailed explanation.
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/32.69
Quote:
The letters also include the year 1548, which indicate that this bard was made for the duke's attendance at the Imperial Diet in Augsburg that year, a form of summit conference of the ruling nobility and imperial cities of the Holy Roman Empire that was convened by the emperor Charles V. This particular Diet was known as the geharnischter Reichstag (armored congress) since the attending princes and leading military commanders presented themselves in their finest armor and accoutrements.

Quote:
Wolfgang Grosschedel (German, Landshut, recorded 1517-62)
Date: man's armor about 1535; horse armor dated 1554
Culture: German, Landshut
Medium: Etched steel
Classification: Armor for Horse and Man
Credit Line: Fletcher Fund, 1923
Accession Number: 23.261
Description: Wolfgang Grosschedel was the most famous Landshut armorer of his generation. Included among his patrons were the Holy Roman Emperor and Philip II of Spain. These armors for man and horse constitute superb examples of Grosschedel's work from different periods in his career. The man's armor, dating from about 1535, is stamped with Grosschedel's personal mark and that of Landshut. The etched decoration includes human figures and ornaments copied from engravings by the German printmaker Barthel Beham (1502-1540). The armor is part of a garniture that originally included exchange elements for use in battle and in the tourney, a mock combat fought with lances and swords. The horse armor, dated 1554, is complete and homogeneous and, though unmarked, can be attributed to Grosschedel on stylistic grounds. The escutcheon on the shaffron (defense for the horse's head) bears the arms of a member of the Bavarian family Freiberg von Aschau, possibly Pankraz von Freiberg (1508-1565). The armors for both man and horse were preserved together in the armory of Hohenaschau Castle, the historical seat of the Freibergs, until the mid-nineteenth century.

thanks ^^

Federico B

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Tue 22 May, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello folks,

I hope to give my contribution (with my first post on myArmoury) to the Gendarme discussion with a image of the late French men-at-arms, during the reign of Henry IV. As someone affirms that the Henry's cavalry was lighter equipped than its Catholic adversaries; I have found this interest print of an anonymous contemporaneous of Henry's entry on Paris, on the 22th March 1594.

As you can see, the Henry’s cavalry, at least his closed entourage, was equipped with heavy three-quarter armors as the Dutch cuirassiers , and clearly more protected from the early reiters of the French Religions Wars.

This print was published on an old Italian book about Torquato Tasso (he has written three political scripts) published around the 1980, that I have found on my father’s bookshelves.

Fencing is a science
Love is a passion
Duelling is an obsession
Federico B

PostPosted: Tue 22 May, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nervermind, I have found the same image on the Henry IV description on English Wikipedia.... Worried
Fencing is a science
Love is a passion
Duelling is an obsession
William P

PostPosted: Wed 23 May, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Federico B wrote:
Hello folks,

I hope to give my contribution (with my first post on myArmoury) to the Gendarme discussion with a image of the late French men-at-arms, during the reign of Henry IV. As someone affirms that the Henry's cavalry was lighter equipped than its Catholic adversaries; I have found this interest print of an anonymous contemporaneous of Henry's entry on Paris, on the 22th March 1594.

As you can see, the Henry’s cavalry, at least his closed entourage, was equipped with heavy three-quarter armors as the Dutch cuirassiers , and clearly more protected from the early reiters of the French Religions Wars.

This print was published on an old Italian book about Torquato Tasso (he has written three political scripts) published around the 1980, that I have found on my father’s bookshelves.

that image is very useful to me, because it properly confirms a quesion i had regarding the mechanical aspects of the close helm,
my question being which direction the upper bevor and visor were normally pivoted,
i wasnt sure if it was like a sallet+ bevor combo, where the visor goes up and the bevor drops down, but this image showcases what i suspected aka that the visor and upper bevor were both pushed upwards.

so that was really quite helpful that image, thanks
Federico B

PostPosted: Tue 29 May, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glad to see that the image has its helpfulness.
Fencing is a science
Love is a passion
Duelling is an obsession
Federico B

PostPosted: Wed 30 May, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

By the way, I have re-read the la Noue description of Henry IV gendarmes and, while the description of the armor is quite clear, I have failed to identify a surviving example, especially for the arms protections described. Here the text, that is especially interesting as it explains the thread of the armor decline as thickness and weight increased to protect from the firearms:

Now, if they (the French nobles) perhaps have had good reasons, because of the danger and force of the pistol and musket, to have their armor made stronger and of better material than previously, they have nevertheless so greatly exceed a reasonable measure in this that most of them have loaded on themselves, instead of armor, an entire anvil, so to speak. And with this the handsome aspect of an armored man on horseback has been changed into an ugly monster. For his helmet resemble an iron pot. In his left arm he wears a large iron glove that covered his arm up to the elbow. On his right arm he wears such a poor arm guard that only his shoulder is protected by it. And ordinarily he wears no cuisses. Instead of a blouse, he wears a small round bell jacket, and he carries no spear or lance. Our cuirassiers and light horsemen under King Henry in their times were much more handsome and pleasant to see. They wore their helmets, arm cuisses and greaves, and their blouses, and they carried spear and lance with a banner streaming from the top. This entire armor was so flexible and light that a man might easily wear it for twenty-four hours. But the armor that is commonly worn today is so uncomfortable and heavy that a nobleman thirty-five years old becomes paralyzed in the shoulders under such a heavy burden. In earlier days I have seen the Sire Eguilli and the knight Puigreffier, two honored and famous old men, ride along in front of their companies for a while day, armored from head to foot, whereas now a much younger captain is either unwilling or unable to remain in such situation for only two hours.

Fencing is a science
Love is a passion
Duelling is an obsession
Raman A

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jun, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Federico B wrote:
By the way, I have re-read the la Noue description of Henry IV gendarmes and, while the description of the armor is quite clear, I have failed to identify a surviving example, especially for the arms protections described. Here the text, that is especially interesting as it explains the thread of the armor decline as thickness and weight increased to protect from the firearms:

Now, if they (the French nobles) perhaps have had good reasons, because of the danger and force of the pistol and musket, to have their armor made stronger and of better material than previously, they have nevertheless so greatly exceed a reasonable measure in this that most of them have loaded on themselves, instead of armor, an entire anvil, so to speak. And with this the handsome aspect of an armored man on horseback has been changed into an ugly monster. For his helmet resemble an iron pot. In his left arm he wears a large iron glove that covered his arm up to the elbow. On his right arm he wears such a poor arm guard that only his shoulder is protected by it. And ordinarily he wears no cuisses. Instead of a blouse, he wears a small round bell jacket, and he carries no spear or lance. Our cuirassiers and light horsemen under King Henry in their times were much more handsome and pleasant to see. They wore their helmets, arm cuisses and greaves, and their blouses, and they carried spear and lance with a banner streaming from the top. This entire armor was so flexible and light that a man might easily wear it for twenty-four hours. But the armor that is commonly worn today is so uncomfortable and heavy that a nobleman thirty-five years old becomes paralyzed in the shoulders under such a heavy burden. In earlier days I have seen the Sire Eguilli and the knight Puigreffier, two honored and famous old men, ride along in front of their companies for a while day, armored from head to foot, whereas now a much younger captain is either unwilling or unable to remain in such situation for only two hours.

what are the two periods and armors he's describing here?
Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jun, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That text had little if anything to do with the Gendarmes of Henri IV. La Noue wrote it while a prisoner of the Spanish 1580-1585. It would thus be based on French nobles that La Noue had seen up to 1580 but tells us nothing about the equipment in later years.

You also need to keep in mind that La Noue like most period writers did hesitate to exaggerate to make point. His description is most likely truthfull but does not tell the whole truth. Other sources show that men went into battle both better and worse equipment.

"There is nothing more hazardous than to venture a battle. One can lose it
by a thousand unforseen circumstances, even when one has thorougly taken all
precautions that the most perfect military skill allows for."
-Fieldmarshal Lennart Torstensson.
Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jun, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Raman A wrote:

what are the two periods and armors he's describing here?

La Noue is comparing the period of King Henri II (i.e the Valois-Habsburg war of the 1550's) with the wars of Religion in France with a probable focus on years before he was captured i.e 1570-1580 give or take a few years.

"There is nothing more hazardous than to venture a battle. One can lose it
by a thousand unforseen circumstances, even when one has thorougly taken all
precautions that the most perfect military skill allows for."
-Fieldmarshal Lennart Torstensson.
Federico B

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Staberg wrote:
That text had little if anything to do with the Gendarmes of Henri IV. La Noue wrote it while a prisoner of the Spanish 1580-1585. It would thus be based on French nobles that La Noue had seen up to 1580 but tells us nothing about the equipment in later years.

You also need to keep in mind that La Noue like most period writers did hesitate to exaggerate to make point. His description is most likely truthfull but does not tell the whole truth. Other sources show that men went into battle both better and worse equipment.

Interesting, thank you. I have taken the La Noue citation from a Delbrück's book, and there isn't any reference about the period, so the hint to the Henri IV Gendarmes is been a my wrong deduction.

Fencing is a science
Love is a passion
Duelling is an obsession

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Gendarmes
Page 4 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: