Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Showing of the Schiavona Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Andrew Winston

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan, those are really beautiful weapons. Such graceful baskets on heart-attack serious blades.

John, I've always been intrigued by your interesting and unconventional website. I'd be particularly interested to see and hear about the Ban Chiang (Ancient Thailand) and Dong Sung (Ancient Vietnam) pieces in your collection. Never have been able to find them on your site.

"I gave 'em a sword. And they stuck it in, and they twisted it with relish.
And I guess if I had been in their position, I'd have done the same thing."
-Richard Milhous Nixon
John Piscopo

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jan, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Schiavonas         Reply with quote

Dear Andrew,

I will start a new discussion thread with a topic of SE Asian weaponry.

Best regards, John Piscopo

I collect swords and bayonets dated WWI back to the Bronze Age from the US and Europe and ancient swords and other weapons from Eurasia. I participate in many historical forums for the study of ancient history and weapons. I am happy to share what expertise I have. John Piscopo
John Piscopo

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Schiavonas for sale at Casa d'Asta Czerny         Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

Casa d'Asta Czerny, an Italian militaria auction house, is offering five Schiavonas for sale in its May auction. Look for lots 484-488. Click here

I routinely print out auction pages from online auctions and this helps me to create my own reference work to supplement the books in my library. To see the index of all the items offered in this auction, go to:
http://www.czernys.com/frame-catalogo-12.html I have purchased from Michael Czerny who runs this operation for many years. Just remember that the prices are in Euros, not dollars. Multiply the bid price by 120%, then add 25% for their commission and shipping charges.

I collect swords and bayonets dated WWI back to the Bronze Age from the US and Europe and ancient swords and other weapons from Eurasia. I participate in many historical forums for the study of ancient history and weapons. I am happy to share what expertise I have. John Piscopo
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow - altough the Stevenson piece is of course wonderful, I have to admit that I'm personally blown away by the Bárta schiavona, especially with the blade decoration.

Hanging out on this site is very bad for me, people - I'm slowly being drawn over the western side of blades (yes, I know that the site isn't officially centered on western blades, but you have to admit that they're quite popular here). What am I to do?!?
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Wed 21 Apr, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! A lot of really beautyful swords there... Lovely collection, John!

-Henrik

Constant and true.
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 21 Apr, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Henrik Bjoern Boegh wrote:
Wow! A lot of really beautyful swords there... Lovely collection, John!

-Henrik

Ditto Henrik! Look ing at all these Schiavona's isn't good for my mental wellness. Could go into withdrawls. One day, one day, I'd really love to add a Schiavona to my collection.
I'f ya' haven't seen Vladimir Cervenka's version....here's a peek

William
aka Bill

Attachment: 11.5 KB
schiavona.jpg

James Marwood

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jun, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Armour Class Schiavona         Reply with quote

For those who are interested, I have put some pictures of my new Armour Class Schiavona on the net at www.oddblogbgod.com/schiavona

James
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jun, 2004 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Armour Class Schiavona         Reply with quote

James Marwood wrote:
For those who are interested, I have put some pictures of my new Armour Class Schiavona on the net at www.oddblogbgod.com/schiavona

James

If you'd like, please add them to our Photo Albums. Nice pics!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
John Piscopo

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jun, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Schiavona         Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

Over Memorial Day weekend my daughter announced her engagement. The wedding will be in September, I think, and I will need to raise some cash. If anyone is interested in purchasing one of my Schiavona swords, please contact me at (708)246-7111 or email me at jpisc98357@aol.com.

Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 03 Jul, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

First of all,

John,
Congratulations! Best of luck to your daughter! Sorry you have to get rid of some of your collection. Could you post some more detailed picture of the Schiavone? Also, what on earth is that serrated weapon in the lower left-ish of your original post to this thread WTF?! ?

Nathan,
Impressive collection. I especially like the Phoenix basket. The back is as beautiful as the front and I love the shaping of the bars, they really have a elegant "dimesional" look to them. I really think the Schiavona is the most elegant basket hilt for some reason. One question, were these swords more ornate on the outside (these all appear to be right hander swords) just for aesthetic reasons or was there some other reason for the asymmetry of these baskets?

Thanks,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Given our recent update package all about the schiavona, I thought I'd bring this topic back to show those who have not yet seen this.

Also, please see This Topic for another example.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's good to see older topics brought back to light.

I know the MRL Type 2 Schiavona didn't receive a great deal of praise in reviews and what not. However, I used mine (that I antiqued out) for a presentation/demo over the week-end, to carve-up a pumpkin in a little cutting demo and was quite happy with it's performance.

More discussions, articles, etc, on complex hilts is refreshing none the less.

Thanks Nathan.

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I recently took some new photos of my two Del Tin schiavone after doing some reconditioning on them. I'm putting them up for sale and typed up a few words about them so figured I'd add them to this topic for the sake of posterity.

A Del Tin 5173 Schiavona and Del Tin 2170 Schiavona

Many years ago I became interested in the schiavona. I had been a long-time fan of British basket-hilts, particularly Scottish types, but at the time very few examples of "Continental" styles could be found on the reproduction market. I started on a quest to get makers to explore making them. One of these makers was Fulvio Del Tin of Del Tin Armi Antiche of Italy.

Del Tin had a schiavona model (DT2170) in their line-up in the early 90s but by the time I approached them in 2001, the model had long since been discontinued. At the urging of a few people including myself, they introduced a new model a couple years later. It was the DT5173 and I bought one of the first pieces to leave their shop.

A short time later, I was able to get my hands on the earlier DT2170 model from circa 1991. The difference between the two is striking. They don't look to be based on the same pattern at all. For me, this was a good thing! Antique schiavone can be found in all kinds of forms and "grades". Whereas the DT5173 looks to be of a more refined example, the DT2170 is certainly a good representative example of a so-called "munitions-grade" sword.

Here are some photos. Please note that the first photo shows the DT5173 on top.

Click photos for full-sized versions

Regarding the DT5173: I've removed the varnish that Del Tin uses as a rust preventative. I've sanded the basket to 600 grit and then used a gray Scotchbrite pad on it and the blade to give an even satin finish similar to how Albion finishes their products. The result is much, much, much more pleasing than the standard Del Tin finish. The blade has a slightly sharper edge than most Del Tin sword and while I'd still call it a rebated edge, I've cut with it on a couple occasions with success.

The DT2170 is over 20 years old. As mentioned, the pattern gives the impression of a munitions-grade sword and so I've kept the basket in the same condition that I received it: with an ample amount of age visible. The result looks very much like several antique examples. When yanked around, one noticed a tiny bit of play in the basket but it's still very solid and sound. The blade is fairly sharp on this one and I've used it for cutting with good results.

The stats are below. Click the links to get descriptions of each piece:

DT5173
Overall length: 39.125"
Weight: 3.1 pounds
Width of guard: 6"
Blade: 33" long; 1.75" wide at base
Fuller: 16" long
Grip and pommel: 5.75" long
Point of Balance (PoB): 4.75" from guard
Center of Percussion (CoP): ~22" from guard

DT2170
Overall length: 41"
Weight: 2.9 pounds
Width of guard: 9"
Width of grip: 1.25"
Blade: 34.5" long below finger rings; 1.375" wide tapering to .625"
Fuller: 11" long
Grip and pommel: 6" long
Point of Balance (PoB): 4.5" from guard
Center of Percussion (CoP): ~21" from guard

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Showing of the Schiavona
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: