Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > NG "Norman" vs. "Knight" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Brian M

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 18 Jan, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: NG "Norman" vs. "Knight"         Reply with quote

Specs, estimated:
OA Length: Norman 38.98" Knight 37.4"
Blade Length: Norman 33" Knight 31.5"
Blade Width (at base) Norman 1.97" Knight 1.97"
Weight: Norman 2.87# Knight 2.65#

I wonder if Mr. Johnson could discuss the specifics of these two designs in comparison to one another? I have reserved a Knight, but also have an interest in the Norman. There is a gross similarity in the use of the parabolic point section, but how will the swords differ in detail?
--What will the profile taper of the Knight be, compared to the Norman? At least from the concept sketch, I'd guess you plan less profile taper on the Knight?
--Will the distal taper of the Knight accelerate faster (hmm...does that make sense?) due to the shorter fuller?
--Out of curiousity, and not owning "Records" yet, what is the relative rate of appearance on these types of swords of a parabolic point vs. a spade point? Perhaps this is not an easily answerable question.

As an aside, I am also curious if a decision has been made as to which of the NG line will next reach completion? Not that I'm impatient!

Thanks,
Brian M
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: NG "Norman" vs. "Knight"         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
Specs, estimated:
OA Length: Norman 38.98" Knight 37.4"
Blade Length: Norman 33" Knight 31.5"
Blade Width (at base) Norman 1.97" Knight 1.97"
Weight: Norman 2.87# Knight 2.65#

I wonder if Mr. Johnson could discuss the specifics of these two designs in comparison to one another? I have reserved a Knight, but also have an interest in the Norman. There is a gross similarity in the use of the parabolic point section, but how will the swords differ in detail?
--What will the profile taper of the Knight be, compared to the Norman? At least from the concept sketch, I'd guess you plan less profile taper on the Knight?
--Will the distal taper of the Knight accelerate faster (hmm...does that make sense?) due to the shorter fuller?
--Out of curiousity, and not owning "Records" yet, what is the relative rate of appearance on these types of swords of a parabolic point vs. a spade point? Perhaps this is not an easily answerable question.

As an aside, I am also curious if a decision has been made as to which of the NG line will next reach completion? Not that I'm impatient!

Thanks,
Brian M

Hi Brian,
There are similarities in the size and overall proportions between these two swords. However, the blades are examples of two types that has strong characters of their own. I think this will be more obvious when we can see finished blades rahter than my drawings. Much of the visual character of these blades is defined by the sublte curves in the outer part of the blade and the play between the curving surfaces in the fuller and edge bevels.

Generally speaking, a shorter blade is usually quicker than a longer one. Difference in lengh between the Knight and the Norman is not so great that this alone will decide what sword is most responsive. Difference in the length of the fullers must be seen in context with blade thickness as well as profile taper. The final design of the distal taper will also have an effect on the handling and performance of these sword.

When designing the swords in the Albion Next Generation I strive to make the various blade types as responsive as possible. Before I have milled prototypes to work with it is hard to describe differences between swords of similar outline and size: many small things work togehter in defining function and handling. It is hard to say what aspect of the design carries through most strongly.

Shape and profile:
The Norman is longer and slimmer in outline with a proportionally longer fuller but It is also slightly thicker in the blade. The Knight is a bit shorter, slightly broader and with a more pronounced curve in the outer part. The respective length of their fullers is according to their types.
The Knight has a shorter fuller than the Norman, but the fuller is deeper and wider. The blade is overall slightly thinner to balance a shorter fuller. The Norman is longer in the blade but the fuller reaches further toward the point. This is to give the stout blade of the Norman a quick and responsive balance.

The profile taper on the Knight is less severe in its straight part than the straight part of the edges of the Norman. The parabolic curving point of the Knight reaches further back towards the base of the blade. The curve is also a bit more pronounced in the Knight than it is in the Norman.

The visual effect of the Norman is a long, slim sword that reach toward the opponent: a weapon with strong 11th/12th C character.

The impression of the Knight will be a broad and full blade with a generously curving and hungry looking outer third. This is a sword of clear 13th C style and feel.

Distal taper:
This is an important functional aspect and is one of the things that is used in the tweaking of handling and performance. Before these swords has been fully developed I cannot detail the specifics of the design of the distal taper.

Parabolic points:
By handling many swords from different eras and areas it is obvious that the parabolic point section is a common feature. More common than one might think when seeing what is offered among contemporary swords. During some periods it seems that parabolic curves are found on a majority of swords. At a guess IŽd say it is as common as the spade shaped point if we concider a period from viking era to early rennaissance.
The sublte curves in the outline of the blade holds an important key both to visual and functional characterstics of the medieval sword.

Next in line:
I think the Landgraf might be the next one Steve will work with, but I may be mistaken. I am presently working on hilt components for the Regent and the Duke. These will ship to Albion this week.
J.G. Grubbs

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wooo Hooo! I can't wait to see some preliminary pics of the Landgraf !
"The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour."
Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the time, Peter. Your explanations are always very helpful to "sword amateurs" like myself.

Regards,
Brian M
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bring on the Regent! Big Grin
"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > NG "Norman" vs. "Knight"
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic