Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Would this weapon idea work? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Richard Gessman

PostPosted: Sat 04 Nov, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Would this weapon idea work?         Reply with quote

Hello everyone, this is my first post in this forum, please forgive me if this question is a bit foolish.

I have been reading about historical arms and armor for a couple years now, and I've been wanting to make an attempt
at creating my own piece of medieval weaponry. The problem is, I am a novice when it comes to such matters, as I have very little experience working with metal. Luckily though, my uncle is setting up his forge, and has agreed to help me, which is why I ask this question now. I was wondering if anyone here thinks my idea for a spear would be feasible as a working weapon.

My spear basically looks like this: A long wide blade, similar to the hewing spear reviewed on this site, but instead of a socket connecting it to the shaft, it is held in place much like a swiss halberd, with two reinforcing langets that extend down about one third of the 6 foot pole ( the end of the pole still extends into a small socket). On the opposite end of the pole there would be a counter weight, similar to a scent stopper pommel.

Does anyone think this is a good idea for a spear, or at least that this spear would be somewhat usable?
Adam Simmonds

PostPosted: Sun 05 Nov, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hi,

sure it would be usable, especially if it's solidly built. Hell, a six foot wooden pole is an effective weapon in the right hands.

cheers, adam
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Sun 05 Nov, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds good!

You might not get a clean polished job the first time, but it should be ok. A simple axe would be a good start too!

N
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sun 05 Nov, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You could also put a short, heavy spike on the butt-end instead of just a counterweight, for extra offensive options up-close.

In general, it sounds a lot like some Renaissance polearms.

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Richard Gessman

PostPosted: Sun 05 Nov, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you all for the replies, I cant wait to get started on this!
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Sun 05 Nov, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds pretty useful.
I like simple, expedient weapons.
How are you going to attach the langets to the blade?

If you happen to decide on using a socket for this or another weapon, they are really not all that hard to make (if you have a simple forge to hand). Buttspikes, too . . . .
I just started forging a few months ago, and have really enjoyed making some basic weapons and weapon/tools, so I think you will get a kick out of it.

I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.
Richard Gessman

PostPosted: Sun 05 Nov, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not 100% sure how I am going to attach the langets yet, though my original inspiration for this came from Eric McHugh's custom halberd, so I might try to forge-weld them onto the blade.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 05 Nov, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard,

One thing worth considering is that it might be an idea to make a basic medieval spear for your first project, rather than a more elaborate one like the one you're suggesting. It's probably a good idea since it will be less complicated than what you're thinking of making. The other bonus is that spears are unquestionably medieval; more complex polearms are either Renaissance weapons or hover in that vague period between the end of the Middle Ages and the beginning of the Renaissance. So if you're interesed in medieval weaponry, the basic spear is a good choice for a starting weapon. I would recommend using Arms and Armor's 12th century spear as a guideline for a medieval spear: http://www.arms-n-armor.com/pole146.html

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Would this weapon idea work?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic