Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Knight v. Albion Sherriff/Yeoman Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 29 Nov, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Albion Knight v. Albion Sherriff/Yeoman         Reply with quote

Well, I've been contemplating purchasing a second Albion sword. I'm narrowed down to three possibilities:

The Knight - I like the rugged simplicity and glowing reviews of this sword and with the Christmas sale on this model, the savings are really drawing me toward this one. I'm not sure how well this would fit in with my commons man-at-arms kit circa 1415 though, and I don't want to pick this one up if it doesn't fit.

The Sherriff - Looks perfect for my man-at-arms kit and the price is good, but so far I've heard little on how this sword performs in cutting, handling, and finish.

The Yeoman - Same as the Sherriff. A little bit more stylish than the Sherriff with its different pommel and cross, but does it handle significantly different than the Sherriff because of them?

Question to all those out there who have handled these: which one would you pick up? considering the restriction of time period to the early years of the fifteenth century for a commons portrayal.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 29 Nov, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have moved this topic to the Historic Arms Talk forum.

Please note the description for this forum:

"Discussions of reproduction and authentic historical arms and armour from various cultures and time periods"

Thank you.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 29 Nov, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've held two of the three, but have only cut with the Knight.

I personally think all three are a little early.

I can only compare the Sheriff to my Sovereign from brief dry handling. I felt the Sovereign might be a tick faster, but the Sheriff had a little more pop. It could just be the difference between bronze and steel fittings, though.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 29 Nov, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is a Knight selling for believe less than $600 on swordforum.
Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Max von Bargen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Wed 29 Nov, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I recall correctly, the latest date that Albion's website puts the Sheriff/Yeoman at is 1340. All three are good swords, and I'd love to own any of them, but I don't know how well they'd fit into your kit. The Poitiers or Kingmaker look more approprate to your time period, but if they're not what you're going for, then that's up to you.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 29 Nov, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Jonathan,

all these three are about a century old by the early years of the 15th C.
Knowing that Dürer depicted a farmer armed with a type XII-ish sword in a much worn scabbard in the first decade of the 16th C, it is not impossible for you to use any of these swords. It depends on what type of commoner you are going for and if you want to build a background story to support your choice.

An up to date sword for the first half of the 15th C would be the Kingmaker (it is a good quality weapon, but you might argue you carry it in the cervice of a nobleman who bought it as part of a large shipment of similar swords for his troops). Or go for about one or two generations hand-me-down: the Poitiers. This is a good and dependable fighting sword.

As to handling, to Sherriff and the Yeoman are very similar in feel. As similar as you can get with two different swords. The pommles weigh just about identical, so I think there is going to be more variation between individual pommels than between the two models.
The Knight is close to these two, but will show the result of haing a slightly longer blade. It is agile and quick, but the shorter XIV blade will be "tighter" in its feel.

For some reason, I think the Yeoman would carry across to the 15th C best of these three. But you could go for a very out of date look and use the knight, just for the fun of it. If you patinate the sword rather heavily and get a scabbard that looks like it has seen a lot of campaigning, you could present a nice and believable figure.

(....I think we´ll have to add more 15th C single handers to the NG line!)
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Wed 29 Nov, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have not handled the Knight, but if you will let me substitute the Squire Line Knightly in it's place (not the same thing I realize, but they are hopefully close enough to be of some value), then I will help as best as I can. The Sherrif is slightly faster than my SL Knightly, and is better suited to the thrust. The Knightly, on the other hand, has a longer reach and, as Type XII's are less distinct (meaning mostly that it is harder to identify a Type XII as such when it is in its scabbard than it is to identify a Type XIV scabbarded), you might be able to "get away" with it easier. My three favourite swords are (in order) the Crecy (moot point since you already own one), the Sherriff (and thus I highly recommend it), and the SL Knightly. Given those opinions, and since I haven't held the Yeoman, it is hard for me to recomend one over any of the others.

You stated that you want a sword that would fit c. 1415; which brings us to my favourite sword #4, and an echo of Peter's comment. The Poitier is a very nice sword which would be a bit more appropriate for the early 15th century. Also, at $620, it is tied with the Sherriff (and several other models) for the title of lowest priced non-Roman Next Gen sword.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Grayson C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 29 Nov, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
Hey Jonathan,

all these three are about a century old by the early years of the 15th C.
Knowing that Dürer depicted a farmer armed with a type XII-ish sword in a much worn scabbard in the first decade of the 16th C, it is not impossible for you to use any of these swords. It depends on what type of commoner you are going for and if you want to build a background story to support your choice.

An up to date sword for the first half of the 15th C would be the Kingmaker (it is a good quality weapon, but you might argue you carry it in the cervice of a nobleman who bought it as part of a large shipment of similar swords for his troops). Or go for about one or two generations hand-me-down: the Poitiers. This is a good and dependable fighting sword.

As to handling, to Sherriff and the Yeoman are very similar in feel. As similar as you can get with two different swords. The pommles weigh just about identical, so I think there is going to be more variation between individual pommels than between the two models.
The Knight is close to these two, but will show the result of haing a slightly longer blade. It is agile and quick, but the shorter XIV blade will be "tighter" in its feel.

For some reason, I think the Yeoman would carry across to the 15th C best of these three. But you could go for a very out of date look and use the knight, just for the fun of it. If you patinate the sword rather heavily and get a scabbard that looks like it has seen a lot of campaigning, you could present a nice and believable figure.

(....I think we´ll have to add more 15th C single handers to the NG line!)

I don't know why Peter, but that post had me rivitted! Your expertice in this area is amazing, but even more so is that you came up with ideas to match things that wouldn't necessarily match! Great post!

Personally, I think it comes down to what you like more in terms of looks, rather than absolute accuracy to the date. (I might get exiled from the sword-loving community for the next sentences!) Who will really notice the difference if your blade is 50-100 years off if you truly love your pieces.
D. Bell

PostPosted: Wed 29 Nov, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some other options for that time period would be Arms & Armour’s Duke of Urbino sword, and the recently reviewed Henry V sword, both of which will be easier on the wallet than Albion. Alternatively, if you don’t mind waiting, and (like me) prefer a blade with a fuller perhaps Albion’s Condottierre would suit you when it is released.
An armed society is a polite society.
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 30 Nov, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for the replies so far.
Whatever I do end up getting, I'll have to do a payment plan for. That's why I want to keep the price point down, so I can actually get it sometime this century. I really hadn't thought about the Poitiers, mostly because I am a fan of fullered blades. I'll have to give that one some serious thought.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 30 Nov, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is to arrive a Yeoman shortly. When it is here I can take some pictures and give my impressions.
Aaron Schneiker

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Thu 30 Nov, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan,

If you are not absolutely set on one of the three you have listed there, may I suggest either the Landgraf or the Sempach. I realize that these are both hand and a halfers, and the swords that you have listed there are single handers, but either of these fit your time period very well. The Sempach may fit better with your commoner persona as it is a little less flashy. Both of these swords not only fit your appearance more appropriately, but are also more suited to face the plate armour that was becoming very prevalent during the early part of the 15th C. Just my 2 c.

-Aaron

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Knight v. Albion Sherriff/Yeoman
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic