Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help with this design? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jan, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Help with this design?         Reply with quote

I've been mucking around with photoshop and various drawings that Peter Johnsson has posted over the years and I've come up with a design I really like. So much so I might use my upcoming slot in Kevin Cashen's backlog to get it made later this year. The thing is, I'm actually unsure how and where and even if this design fits into history. I'd say it was either a XVIa or a XVIIIa, maybe 1330 - 1450? I'm also not sure if an integral scabbard or a 15th century longsword scabbard is the way to go either, could they both be period?
In my opinion, this design (with say a 34-35 inch blade) would be a fairly agile longsword, and a serious cutter and with a stiff blade a very nice thruster against non-plate armoured opponents. Would this seem an accurate guess?

Attachment: 10.98 KB
[ Download ]
James Byrnes

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jan, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Nice Design         Reply with quote

Taylor,

Nice design. The scent stopper pegs that as more of a 15th century design, but since that is my favorite time period for swords and armor, I see that as a plus.

James

"Farewell sweet friend, I was a thousand times more evil than thou. "

Rocky Mountain Historical Combat Guild
All Saints Blades
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi James,

Don't suppose you want to take a stab at guessing the Oakeshott type? I'd guess it's an XVIa, but only Peter would know for sure, since he drew the blade! Happy
James Byrnes

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Hmmmmmm         Reply with quote

Taylor,

I would put in the category of XVIA. The blade shows a very shallow profile taper, and the fuller extends about halfway down the blade. Look at XVI.4 and XVIa.1 as examples. The scent stopper pegs it in the 15th century (stylistically if nothing else) so I would say an integral scabbard MIGHT look anachronistic. However, if absolute historical accuracy is not your main concern, then I say go for which ever scabbard design catches your fancy. Again, I think it is a cool design, and will make a worthy stable mate for your Manning Imperial longsword. Can't wait to see Kevin's magic when it is finished.

James

"Farewell sweet friend, I was a thousand times more evil than thou. "

Rocky Mountain Historical Combat Guild
All Saints Blades

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help with this design?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic